Toothless

Slightly off topic but for such a small side walsalls corner routines where the best I have seen in years at our level. They were close to scoring off every single one. Everyone was well worked and clearly they spend a lot if time on this. Some of them made absolute mugs of our players.

I hope Johnson took note of some of this. I know he said last week we had 10 corner routines but ours are not a patch on walsalls

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been at the game last night and attended all but a few games home and away, I'd like to share a few observations on our style of play. The quality of our play up to the edge of the area is good and matched that from Walsall who also tried to get the ball down and play. The big difference is that their wide men, wingers and full backs looked to get driven crosses in at every opportunity, most of which were well dealt with by Latics' clearing headers. In contrast, Latics seem coached to create a crossing opportunity and then check back, over and over again (bring back Rick Holden!) just so we can make another 20 passes before losing the ball. Get the bloody ball crossed first time and stop being so shot shy! How can we expect to win games when the opposition goalie only has to make 3 saves per game?

Keeping the faith but would like some simple changes in tactics to improve our end product of all this possession.....?

This is absolutely true Chaddy, but in fairness to the wide players they have to have men to hit in the box to deliver the ball earlier. Last night, they had little or nothing to hit for the vast majority of the game. As said earlier, it is a major issue in our play. We require width to retain possession - but have little or no way to use it effectively!

They don't cross because half the time there is nobody in the box to cross to ???

When we lost against Colchester at home the other week , we were one down and attacking with only 2 players in their half.

At the start of the season we would attack and have 2 or 3 players in the box and a couple just outside.

Now when we attack we have one in the box if lucky , maybe one outside and the rest still crossing the half way line.

We need to play more in their half not ours.

I think Mike (who by the way is an excellent reporter) has taken my headline out of context. I wasn't just referring to the Walsall match, but the fact not enough goals have been scored in the league this season.

I am sure Lee Johnson is diligent in his approach to matches, but something is amiss - particularly when at home, and in my opinion, right or wrong, it's the way the team has been set up.

It appears the manager has recognised this after many frustrating months by signing a creative player in Harkins.

I would like to see the team playing with two strikers up front at Boundary Park, thus giving the option for Harkins to thread a ball through to either, this is how I envisage more goals can be scored

Obviously the defensive aspect of the midfield will be weakened, but if nothing is changed I fear score lines will be similar for the remaining fixtures.

As for Rooney it seems to me he lacks split second timing, and this is what needs to be worked on.

From the start of the season I pledged £10 to playershare every time the team scored 3 or more goals in a league match, even though it's only cost me a tenner so far it would be a pleasure to pay out after every game.

So break up the wes / smith partnership ?

Slightly off topic but for such a small side walsalls corner routines where the best I have seen in years at our level. They were close to scoring off every single one. Everyone was well worked and clearly they spend a lot if time on this. Some of them made absolute mugs of our players.

I hope Johnson took note of some of this. I know he said last week we had 10 corner routines but ours are not a patch on walsalls

I mentioned this earlier, in the 2nd half they had 4 consecutive corners and each one was completely different....I would also add that in the main we dealt well with them all which was encouraging. One in particular was the free header which produced a good save from Ox.

So break up the wes / smith partnership ?

Not if one of them plays well forward, I just don't want both of them deep in our own half for long spells as has happened in the past.

Wesowlowki seems to be taking the initiative a little bit more of late and I'd like to see him far enough up field to link with Harkins and the forwards,

Edited by BP1960

They don't cross because half the time there is nobody in the box to cross to ???

When we lost against Colchester at home the other week , we were one down and attacking with only 2 players in their half.

At the start of the season we would attack and have 2 or 3 players in the box and a couple just outside.

Now when we attack we have one in the box if lucky , maybe one outside and the rest still crossing the half way line.

We need to play more in their half not ours.

I can't name the game but a couple of months ago Millar (as centre forward) was killing the opposition on the wing, more than enough times he cut back in the hope of arriving for a cross whereas others with less vision and time just play it. Of course they should really be able to play the ball in the fair hope that someone is turning up for it (cf Lids and Porter)

I can't name the game but a couple of months ago Millar (as centre forward) was killing the opposition on the wing, more than enough times he cut back in the hope of arriving for a cross whereas others with less vision and time just play it. Of course they should really be able to play the ball in the fair hope that someone is turning up for it (cf Lids and Porter)

It was Carlisle, Millar came on after 15 minutes replacing the injured MacDonald. Rooney played virtually the whole game and Philliskirk and Dayton played the whole game.

It was Carlisle, Millar came on after 15 minutes replacing the injured MacDonald. Rooney played virtually the whole game and Philliskirk and Dayton played the whole game.

That would be right. I think Millar beat a man and put a threatening cross in as many times that game as we have all season.

Not if one of them plays well forward, I just don't want both of them deep in our own half for long spells as has happened in the past.

Wesowlowki seems to be taking the initiative a little bit more of late and I'd like to see him far enough up field to link with Harkins and the forwards,

So if we have wes and smith in the middle harkins more advanced behind two strikers . That means five more outfield players ? Wingbacks ?

So if we have wes and smith in the middle harkins more advanced behind two strikers . That means five more outfield players ? Wingbacks ?

I've asked this to BP before.

Wonder if a reply to this one will clear it up?

I cant work out what formation he wants

From what i can gather, if Harkins plays in front of Wes & Smith, and then there are 2 strikers also; the only way left to go with that is CB's and 2 wingbacks?

IMO, we dont have the players who can play wingback.

I don't think that Harkins can play CM with 1 of either Korey or Wes; it would leave us so short in that key area.

We'd be exposed out wide like mad; the 2 deep midfielders would spend so much time covering for the wingbacks and for Harkins; they would be a - spent after 60mins and b - totally ineffective as a duo for all the other aspects; namely attacking.

I can't see how it works?

Edited by slystallone

From what i can gather, if Harkins plays in front of Wes & Smith, and then there are 2 strikers also; the only way left to go with that is CB's and 2 wingbacks?

I don't think that Harkins can play CM with 1 of either Korey or Wes; it would leave us so short in that key area.

We'd be exposed out wide like mad; the 2 deep midfielders would spend so much time covering for the wingbacks and for Harkins; they would be a - spent after 60mins and b - totally ineffective as a duo for all the other aspects; namely attacking.

Mellor and Winchester as deep lying wingbacks firing early crosses in then legging it back.

"Midbacks"?

I'm surprised Rinus Michels never thought of this.

The sheer temerity of Alf Ramsey to devise a wingless wonders team, he should have been sacked before the 1966 Word Cup.

Edited by BP1960