Toothless

I would suggest Chesterfield FA Cup away about 1971 lost 3 - 0

Snow. yellow ways coach, Aged 12, First away trip on my own, Stuck in Buxton. Didnt phone mum. Got back into Oldham half eleven, Phoned Auntie to ask dad to pick me up .Bollocked. Arse strapped. Grounded for life

My old school team mate Kevin Randall ran us ragged in that game, oh for a barnstorming goal scoring centre forward like him now at the Latics,

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how many people know, with apparent certainty, what individual players earn.

I do regularly look on here and wonder why I dont know all the FACTS that everyone else does. Me and you are obviously not trying hard enough.

So Rooney the latest scapegoat other players have missed penalities and sitters just seemed despite playing well tonight was not just are luck. Agree we have lacked an en product alot of times this season. Still think when Charlie Mcdonald stays fit there is goals to come.

Back from the game. Certainly wasn't drab thought the first half was the better, two decent footballing teams on show tonight. It looked like a game that would be sorted by 1 goal and no reason to think we wouldn't get it. It went Walsall's way as is often the case, a sloppy goal that I'd need to see again, it fell for them, they scored.

Lucky to get the pen but you know to rest. Would have given us a deserved point.

Charlie Mac looked sharp again, Harkins is going to be good for us and looks like he will make things happen and importantly he wants the ball even when surrounded. One of our better footballing days but just lack that edge (luck?). Enjoyed the game not the result which is becoming a familiar tale. Not much to choose between the sides in reality.

16 goals now in last 18 league games, only 2 league goals from Philliskirk, none in his last 8.

The manager keeps messing Philliskirk about, put him up front with a big centre forward who can hold up the ball (who will have to brought in of course) with Harkins prompting and you will see him score plenty of goals.

Back from the game. Certainly wasn't drab thought the first half was the better, two decent footballing teams on show tonight. It looked like a game that would be sorted by 1 goal and no reason to think we wouldn't get it. It went Walsall's way as is often the case, a sloppy goal that I'd need to see again, it fell for them, they scored.

Lucky to get the pen but you know to rest. Would have given us a deserved point.

Charlie Mac looked sharp again, Harkins is going to be good for us and looks like he will make things happen and importantly he wants the ball even when surrounded. One of our better footballing days but just lack that edge (luck?). Enjoyed the game not the result which is becoming a familiar tale. Not much to choose between the sides in reality.

I think you'll find this is the reactionist thread for people who didn't go to the game. Jog on.

He's clearly not match fit and Walsall are a team who like to play it around.

This was not a match for him to start in.

Not match fit ? he's played recently in Scotland, you play your best and most creative players from the start,

Edited by BP1960

MENOAFC@MENOAFC6s

1/2 LJ (on lifting Rooney): "I'm not here to be a social worker. I'm a football manager that needs results."

MENOAFC@MENOAFC25s

2/2 LJ: "He's a senior player and if he is down he needs to pick himself up and if a chance comes next time bury it." #oafc

Do I sense some pressure?

Despite Saturday's result, we're still on a terrible run.

He went to the game and came to the conclusion of most of those who didn't ..toothless and a familiar pattern,

Yes, but it certainly wasn't a poor quality performance, good to watch but struggling to score would be a less derogatory way to put it but take your point.

This scoring problem has been with us for nearly 4 seasons, the present team create chances but fail to convert a large percentage. Macdonald misses a one on one, Rooney misses from 4 yards and also from the spot.....how can LJ be blamed for that?

If we had been scoring freely those three chances would have been buried, the strikers are under so much pressure to score at the minute that every chance must feel like the hardest in the world to convert. Players like Hughes and Beckett thrive on that kind of pressure whereas Rooney bottles it......I believe Macdonald could partner a striker but has he got the fitness at this stage of his career..

I think not.

I think we'll stay up but this season is gone....Rooney and Mac need to go and we need to spend a fair percentage of the budget on a couple of strikers who can fire us up the league table, get us in the playoffs and try and get the missing supporters back into the club.

I have said it before and will say it again.....Leon Clarke would score a bucket full in this team, the fooball is there but the end product is not, LJ will be as frustrated as we are but if we stick with him he will be successful here.

So Rooney the latest scapegoat other players have missed penalities and sitters just seemed despite playing well tonight was not just are luck. Agree we have lacked an en product alot of times this season. Still think when Charlie Mcdonald stays fit there is goals to come.

It's not really about tonight though is it Tom? People are getting on his back because of his reputation as a big signing, the fact he'll be on good wage and that he's dramatically under performed for most of the season. And when the manager has even come out and said in recent weeks that Rooney's not performing, is short of confidence and has suggested it's not working out and that he could leave this month, it's not hard to envisage that the club might just part ways with him after tonight. If he's not contributing a point saving, equalising penalty, then what is he contributing, at the of the day? Let's be honest, we're not talking about a striker who's bagged 10 or so goals for us this season but tonight just didn't go his way and had a nightmare, last minute, point gaining, penalty saved, Rooney's only contributed the latter.

Not match fit ? he's played recently in Scotland, you play your best and most creative players from the start,

He played at Boundary Park even more recently and looked fooked long before he was subbed. Adrenalin got him to 74 minutes in that match.

I'm looking forward to him starting and finishing games for us as I think he'll make the difference.

However, to suggest that the manager got it wrong tonight, especially when you did not go to the game, is just looking for a stick to beat him with.

This scoring problem has been with us for nearly 4 seasons, the present team create chances but fail to convert a large percentage. Macdonald misses a one on one, Rooney misses from 4 yards and also from the spot.....how can LJ be blamed for that?

If we had been scoring freely those three chances would have been buried, the strikers are under so much pressure to score at the minute that every chance must feel like the hardest in the world to convert. Players like Hughes and Beckett thrive on that kind of pressure whereas Rooney bottles it......I believe Macdonald could partner a striker but has he got the fitness at this stage of his career..

I think not.

I think we'll stay up but this season is gone....Rooney and Mac need to go and we need to spend a fair percentage of the budget on a couple of strikers who can fire us up the league table, get us in the playoffs and try and get the missing supporters back into the club.

I have said it before and will say it again.....Leon Clarke would score a bucket full in this team, the fooball is there but the end product is not, LJ will be as frustrated as we are but if we stick with him he will be successful here.

If only we could add a £1.2m striker to our squad.

Hi Chaps, Hope you all got back safely.

Well I thought that was an excellent match , both teams played well with Oldham edging it. I thought you were easily worthy of a draw - probably worthy of the win.

It wasn't a bad penalty, required a very good save to keep it out. Worse was the open goal that was missed a few minutes earlier - you should have buried that.

Reading your comments on here sounds very familiar. Walsall keep the ball very well but have trouble turning that possession into goals - and have a habit of letting leads slip away, as I thought was going to happen tonight.

I think this brand of football requires a certain amount of courage - from the players, the club and from the fans. We went 16 games without a win last season, but the manager stuck with the tactics and the club stuck with the manager, and we turned it around.

Good luck for the rest of the season - especially against Brentford, Orient, Wolves, etc. etc.