Toothless

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chaps, Hope you all got back safely.

Well I thought that was an excellent match , both teams played well with Oldham edging it. I thought you were easily worthy of a draw - probably worthy of the win.

It wasn't a bad penalty, required a very good save to keep it out. Worse was the open goal that was missed a few minutes earlier - you should have buried that.

Reading your comments on here sounds very familiar. Walsall keep the ball very well but have trouble turning that possession into goals - and have a habit of letting leads slip away, as I thought was going to happen tonight.

I think this brand of football requires a certain amount of courage - from the players, the club and from the fans. We went 16 games without a win last season, but the manager stuck with the tactics and the club stuck with the manager, and we turned it around.

Good luck for the rest of the season - especially against Brentford, Orient, Wolves, etc. etc.

I'm an exile so only get to ten or so away games a year. I have only seen us play poorly once this year (Crawley) and even that was way better than under PD or others so I for one am absolutely sticking by LJ. He has got something about him and we should be very, very careful before we start turning against him or individual players.

This post is typical of the season so far, we should be higher than we are........it is time to keep the faith

We have serious issues within our play that have not been mentioned in this thread.

Earlier in the season our movement was excellent and created space for the man receiving the ball. Increasingly we are looking for the easy ball and players are failing to take on the more difficult ball that will open up an opponent. Ironically the only player who did tonight - Dayton - was slated for most of the game.

We are also commiting so few men to the box that the final ball has to be so precise and cannot often be delivered early. Also we are not gambling in the box, twice late on we had balls that were crying out for somebody to attack at the near post but we had players hiding behind defenders.

Finally, we are wide open almost every time we have an attacking set play. As it breaks we frequently are jogging back whilst opponents are attacking the space. This is going to cost us sooner or later.

I am really concerned after tonight. You need courage to use the ball as we attempt to do. Without it we appear flat and insipid. In a division of fine margins, I don't see us winning close games and that spells trouble!!

deserved a point, there keeper won them the match with the saved penalty and harkins freekick...does make you wonder about fine margins as Walsall were nothing special yet are up where we want to be... :scarf001:

btw...love some of Walsall's corner routines...very creative

Well I thought that was an excellent match , both teams played well with Oldham edging it. I thought you were easily worthy of a draw - probably worthy of the win.

It wasn't a bad penalty, required a very good save to keep it out. Worse was the open goal that was missed a few minutes earlier - you should have buried that.

Reading your comments on here sounds very familiar. Walsall keep the ball very well but have trouble turning that possession into goals - and have a habit of letting leads slip away, as I thought was going to happen tonight.

I think this brand of football requires a certain amount of courage - from the players, the club and from the fans. We went 16 games without a win last season, but the manager stuck with the tactics and the club stuck with the manager, and we turned it around.

Good luck for the rest of the season - especially against Brentford, Orient, Wolves, etc. etc.

Brentford and Orient my 2 favourate away trips in the League however if them going up means a team like Wolves stays down i am happy. Did fancy you guys pre season to be in top six was told about the good work being done at your club and the youth team work seems to be finally paying off for you.

Brentford and Orient my 2 favourate away trips in the League however if them going up means a team like Wolves stays down i am happy. Did fancy you guys pre season to be in top six was told about the good work being done at your club and the youth team work seems to be finally paying off for you.

Why on earth would you want Wolves to stay down?

We have serious issues within our play that have not been mentioned in this thread.

Earlier in the season our movement was excellent and created space for the man receiving the ball. Increasingly we are looking for the easy ball and players are failing to take on the more difficult ball that will open up an opponent. Ironically the only player who did tonight - Dayton - was slated for most of the game.

We are also commiting so few men to the box that the final ball has to be so precise and cannot often be delivered early. Also we are not gambling in the box, twice late on we had balls that were crying out for somebody to attack at the near post but we had players hiding behind defenders.

Finally, we are wide open almost every time we have an attacking set play. As it breaks we frequently are jogging back whilst opponents are attacking the space. This is going to cost us sooner or later.

I am really concerned after tonight. You need courage to use the ball as we attempt to do. Without it we appear flat and insipid. In a division of fine margins, I don't see us winning close games and that spells trouble!!

Agree with all of this.

Our awful movement off the ball is one of our main problems at home.

Why on earth would you want Wolves to stay down?

To remind clubs like these that outside the Premier League etc football still exists, that big crowds does not win you games and rather play a team like them where we can make a bit of money than say Colchester.

Korey Smiths wage was revealed in the Daily Mail just before the Liverpool game I know his wage because I read the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2533867/Oldham-Liverpool-looking-repeat-win-gave-hope.html

Good response. Does say "about" in the article.

And never trust the Daily Mail as fact.

Thanks the post

So, as a model; you've spent wisely on young players, developed young home-grown players, had loanees who have then gone on to sign for you, have a young manager who wants to play football that is easy on the eye, and whilst results were sketchy initially; club and fans stuck by it?

Hmmm.....

Can't underestimate the power of confidence with a young squad. The table doesn't lie and the players won't feel as good as they are. Clearly aren't yet capable of dealing with the pressures when up against it.

I think with an injection of confidence across the full team we would tear teams apart and not only be creating more chances but converting them.

Anyone know where to buy a bucket of confidence from? Seriously if we back to back wins by a couple of goals it would help no end. How we do that though is the problem and LJ needs to think of how to get the players psyched up!

Edited by Blue_Guru

Yeah, agree with that.

For me we've not been the same team attacking wise since Rotherham, we got a right chasing in that game, before and after the sending off, just wonder if it spooked the management a bit a la Dickov vs Peterborough/Southampton

Am I right to make a judgement here that when the cross comes in the player in the box should gamble with a diving header perfect height for one. Johnson was right we don't have players who will go in and put their head where it hurts. Edited by SavageTheBeast