FAO Barry Owen

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people allowed to join the trust and have an opinion without committing time to running the trust?

It seems that there is a view that if you don't get involved in running it, you have to accept that those who are involved have the absolute right to run it how they want, but that isn't very democratic.

Trust members should have the right to influence what the trust does without being directly involved. The trust should represent the views of all fans, not just those with time to take an active role.

Barry and others have repeatedly said that the trust does need help, but apart from wardle's post the other day (which doesn't actually set a date) there hasn't been much info about the trust, despite repeated requests from many posters.

The website hadn't been updated, and it apparently never would have been, the contact system didn't work, posts on this section and the trust section are not responded to consistently. Why would anyone pay a membership fee to join an organisation that works like this?

How exactly are people supposed to get involved if they don't get any information about when/where/what the trust does what it does?

Are people allowed to join the trust and have an opinion without committing time to running the trust?

It seems that there is a view that if you don't get involved in running it, you have to accept that those who are involved have the absolute right to run it how they want, but that isn't very democratic.

Trust members should have the right to influence what the trust does without being directly involved. The trust should represent the views of all fans, not just those with time to take an active role.

Barry and others have repeatedly said that the trust does need help, but apart from wardle's post the other day (which doesn't actually set a date) there hasn't been much info about the trust, despite repeated requests from many posters.

The website hadn't been updated, and it apparently never would have been, the contact system didn't work, posts on this section and the trust section are not responded to consistently. Why would anyone pay a membership fee to join an organisation that works like this?

How exactly are people supposed to get involved if they don't get any information about when/where/what the trust does what it does?

I agree with all your points. That's why I am of the stance to all those who are interested, to join and make the changes from within. I don't know any answers to posters because I am not involved in the trust.

No one is asking you directly, Lags :lol: These are general questions that people are asking in the hope that Barry or Ric or anybody with an encyclopedic knowledge of the Trust can provide answers to. It's not always about 'making a change'; there may be people with a vague idea of what a Trust is but don't have enough information to make an informed decision on whether or not to get involved. If the Trust are so desperate for help, someone should be posting a full and frank account of what its aims are and what kind of help it needs.

No one is asking you directly, Lags :lol: These are general questions that people are asking in the hope that Barry or Ric or anybody with an encyclopedic knowledge of the Trust can provide answers to. It's not always about 'making a change'; there may be people with a vague idea of what a Trust is but don't have enough information to make an informed decision on whether or not to get involved. If the Trust are so desperate for help, someone should be posting a full and frank account of what its aims are and what kind of help it needs.

It would help for the apparent number 2 person not to be throwing random insults at people online too. Especially considering the circumstances and the what happened shortly afterward.

I agree with all your points. That's why I am of the stance to all those who are interested, to join and make the changes from within. I don't know any answers to posters because I am not involved in the trust.

But there's nothing to show that if I join, I can influence anything at all. Will the AGM include elections of officials? Will the AGM feature any voting on policies / approaches? Will the AGM feature a vote on how the board should be structured and what the extent / limits of the roles are? Can I even vote without turning up to the AGM?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. The only information that the Trust gives to me (in my opinion) is that I can join and pay them some money. I don't have any idea what that membership gives me, so there is potential that I am wasting my money and effort.

I'm not asking you for the answers, I would expect the trust to engage with potential members to convince them that there is a good reason to join, that their opinions will be listened to and acted upon, and that roles are open to all and are not allowed to become self-selecting (in terms of who can carry out the role) by the addition of duties that are not part of trust objectives.

• 4 weeks later...

........it has always been the case that the Trust sets aside time for fans to attend prior to our meeting to ask any questions they wish. We do this between 7.00pm and 7.30pm, with further time if necessary.

In the past I have agreed to meet fans to explain my role but either no one turns up to the meetings we have arranged nor does anyone seek such a meeting.

Furthermore the Trust has always had an open door policy for anyone who wishes to help in anyway with a view to eventually becoming a director if the work suits them.

Thankyou

Barry

So.

As the meeting wasn't publicised last night, fans couldn't attend before to ask questions etc.

I'd like to take you up on your offer to meet separately but not to discuss your role. I'd like more information about the trust and seeing where I can help out if possible. Unless there's another trust meeting on the horizon?

Cheers.

So.

As the meeting wasn't publicised last night, fans couldn't attend before to ask questions etc.

I'd like to take you up on your offer to meet separately but not to discuss your role. I'd like more information about the trust and seeing where I can help out if possible. Unless there's another trust meeting on the horizon?

Cheers.

That's probably why no-one can attend before it then, if they never say where it is meeting at!

Yeah, good luck with that request.

The "Trust" only seems to exist as a crutch to support Barry's position.

It has no email contact, no phone contact, no address. It uses facebook about once every 6 months, uses this site sporadically. Only questions or points from selected posters are addressed.

Oh, and Barry spends loads of time dealing with Trust issues, but somehow the governance failed and someone was able to take money from the accounts.

Still, at least the Trust deals with key supporter issues - that survey about closing the RRE and using the Chaddy only vs Crawley was a great example of consultation wasn't it?

Yeah, good luck with that request.

The "Trust" only seems to exist as a crutch to support Barry's position.

It has no email contact, no phone contact, no address. It uses facebook about once every 6 months, uses this site sporadically. Only questions or points from selected posters are addressed.

Oh, and Barry spends loads of time dealing with Trust issues, but somehow the governance failed and someone was able to take money from the accounts.

Still, at least the Trust deals with key supporter issues - that survey about closing the RRE and using the Chaddy only vs Crawley was a great example of consultation wasn't it?

Guest Scratch2000uk

We still don't know who re-elected him, seeing as we don't know who is actually active on the trusts board. Makes one wonder.

We still don't know who re-elected him, seeing as we don't know who is actually active on the trusts board. Makes one wonder.

You could go to the non advertised meeting held in a security location with only 24 hour notice to find its location :)

Its abit like the C4 TV Program Treasure Hunt from the 80s :) There are various clues hidden around Oldham you have to find :D

In the end you find Barry sat alone in a pub with a packet of Quavers :D

Edited by oafc0000

“The league table doesn’t lie, but it is up to us to take it on. We know fans are disappointed with our current league position. You’ve got to be honest and say these are worrying times. But I still believe we have enough ability and skill to pull clear of the drop zone. The atmosphere at Boundary Park can make a big difference.”

If that quote doesnt show that he is actually a member of the board/club and not a fans representitive, then I dont know what is.

when is he up for re-election? season ticket holders should be automatically members of the trust, with compulsory voting

Wouldn't make a difference anyway... I believe the other knights of the round table vote Barry into his role and the membership don't get to decide that one....

Wouldn't make a difference anyway... I believe the other knights of the round table vote Barry into his role and the membership don't get to decide that one....

all above board then. do they borrow the local masonic lodge for meetings then ? Edited by yarddog73