FAO Barry Owen

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regardless of whether you think BO is doing a good job or a bad job I think it's blindingly obvious the Trust itself needs to be reformed. Be open, transparent. Have a webpage that keeps everybody up to date on it's activities. Have its head not also doing a dual role for the club. Regular elections. Don't like what Barry's doing? Then every year at the AGM any member can stand against him (after perhaps getting x amount of signatures backing their candidature).If the members think Barry is the best for the role then he gets re-elected, if he doesn't whoever the new person is then steps up and we see how he/she gets on. It's not rocket science. Such a trust and it's meetings then become the talking shop, not here where we achieve nothing.

The trust the fans currently have is worthless.I'd happily rejoin if it reformed or I'd join a new one set up if this one dissolved.

Current Trust members, whoever you all are, get together go to Supporters Direct and say "look, we've lost our way a bit here. Could you help us out" and get this thing fixed. Unless, of course, you think it's all hunky dory.

Don't like what Barry's doing? Then every year at the AGM any member can stand against him

Isn't it every three years ? and the member would have to be a a Trust director and is chosen by the other trust directors...

Members don't get a say...

Hence the need for the reform you mentioned....

Edited by oafc0000

Isn't it every three years ? and the member would have to be a a Trust director and is chosen by the other trust directors...

I'm not even sure it's not longer than every 3 years. I don't think it is appropriate to have the chair's position come up for re-election annually, and think 3 years is about right, but I don't think it is appropriate to have the chair only elected by the board.

yes, I was positing a better way of doing things.

I'm not even sure it's not longer than every 3 years. I don't think it is appropriate to have the chair's position come up for re-election annually, and think 3 years is about right, but I don't think it is appropriate to have the chair only elected by the board.

I can't see the problem with it being annual. If nobody wants to stand against then there is no election. Much much bigger organisations than Trust Oldham get along just fine with an annual AGM with the possibility of dethroning those at the head

edit - 3 years is still fine (by me) though

edit edit - but there would have to be something in the constitution about triggering an election if a certain % of members thought the man/woman in charge should be deposed.

Edited by help_shiny

Their Investment has some security. The Ground and surrounding Land. Not £6M but certainly in excess of £600k.

It may have been £6m at one time, but the land behind the Chaddy has been sold for housing, and the car park on Sheepfoot Lane has either been sold or rented to the NHS since.

It may have been £6m at one time, but the land behind the Chaddy has been sold for housing, and the car park on Sheepfoot Lane has either been sold or rented to the NHS since.

Hence, amongst other reasons, why I said perhaps at least £600K!

The figure of £6M is the current outstanding monies (a loan or otherwise) to TTA, not my valuation

The £6m debt is not connected to the land.

The land is held by a separate company.

OAFC has an entirely separate deb of £6m to SB. Paying off that debt does not mean the club would own anything more than it currently owns, which means it would still not own the land or ground. It currently gets to use the ground & car parks rent free afaik. Not sure who's getting/got the money for the NHS thing or the houses that have been built.

It was Barry off of The Trust who sniped inappropriately at Underdog because she didn't mention that Playershare is a Trust initiative. So yes, why not.

I'd imagine the 70-80 paying into Playershare is higher than current Trust members.

Scarily enough, I think I mentioned it twice in earlier pages prior and in the thread above under trust stuff. I suppose trialling through umpteen pages of a thread can be cumbersome.

I think the vision of the trust is that we all become members in one form or another ie automatic if you buy a season ticket ect. I am coming to the open door meeting at 6.30pm on the 14th because I curious about the trust myself, it's mission and if we can close the chasm between committee and fans.

Hope to see you there if not before

Edited by underdog

I think the idea of becoming a member automatically is flawed. The fact is the trust needs some form of income to operate effectively. The current asking of £5 is WAY too low in my opinion.

What the trust needs is a relaunch!

A proper membership fee, proper membership benefits, proper democracy (the fans should vote for their representative), proper communication, proper representation, proper consultation, real transparency.

If it was right there would be no need to complain.

Edited by oafc0000

Scarily enough, I think I mentioned it twice in earlier pages prior and in the thread above under trust stuff. I suppose trialling through umpteen pages of a thread can be cumbersome.

It shouldn't be cumbersome if you work full time hours gaining and representing fans' views.

I think the vision of the trust is that we all become members in one form or another ie automatic if you buy a season ticket ect. I am coming to the open door meeting at 6.30pm on the 14th because I curious about the trust myself, it's mission and if we can close the chasm between committee and fans.

Hope to see you there if not before

It shouldn't be cumbersome if you work full time hours gaining and representing fans' views.

Doubly so as it was on page 3 of a 5 or 6 thread and was about post 50.

I feel bad and would like to apologise for my part in that rant because underdog was answering my questions about the trust and Playershare when she apparently failed to mention that it was a trust initiative, causing Barry to rant at her, despite having already done so on more than one occasion to some of my questions about it.

Thanks guys, no apology needed rudemedic and maddog, I am no diplomat re recent events at work with regards to restructure and I asked why no-one at senior level was losing their jobs as it's their mess we are in......

Large target printed on my back when I then said, well that's what you get when you appoint a director that doesn't want to lead/direct or even brief the staff on the department mission, contracts status, future developments ect...

Oh dear....just hit me how similar the rift is between the trust and fans and the crap at work.....come the revolution.....where's my Cuba libre?

Time to put the vino down me thinks

Compulsory voting? How does that work?

I'm not quite sure what you mean there but everyone should be entitled to a vote, whether they want to vote or not, whether they spoil their vote or not that is entirely up to the individual, there are arguments both for and against compuksory voting...

• 4 weeks later...

He replied to my PM but I'm still waiting for him to get back to me with a day to meet. That was 3 and a half weeks ago though.

I'm just going to go on Monday to the AGM.

Similar experience - but of course it will all be down us as he refuses to answer any questions cos someone else has made a remark that he finds insulting!