FAO Barry Owen

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, and that's the point.

Barry is carrying out two roles - one is fan's representative on the board, one is club director.

The first *isn't* a full time job - effectively, the minimum requirement is attendance at every board meeting, and subsequent meetings with the Trust board and updates to the fans. The second, well, Simon will get you doing whatever you can spare time for I suspect.

The right answer feels to me to be to split the two roles - Barry can quite happily carry on acting as a club director, and someone else can represent the fans - without the added burden of the official directorship, that person can spend much more time (although again I'm not talking hours and hours each day) getting the Trust turned around and acting as it was setup to do.

...and that is where I am metty - it's the obvious conflict of interest that has always been there that is the issue for me.

FWIW, I think Barry does a very worthwhile role as a Club Director, and as he has said himself, essentially works a full-time role for the club, but draws no wage for those hours put in. That said, as is known, he is only able to do that due to his position; namely his early retirement and pension.

The fans representative role needs to be separated away from the conflict of the joint Club Director role.

But - like most things in life - that's easier said than done.

As I said in the thread when Mr Prozac was trying to champion himself as some sort of uber-fan liason / fan rep - the only person who can represent me and my views to the full is me. Short of having 4,000 fan representatives, I'm not sure the role can legitimately claim to represent all fans views anyways?

Tricky isn't it? The only thing I am sure on though is that currently, rightly or wrongly, whilst Barry continues to do his best for the Club; his roles are conflicted.

And for balance.

As fans you have to decide what the Trust need to do for you, In my opinion fans demand too much of them - the Trust probably cannot possibly do what they want them to, so the trust should set out a more achievable targets for themselves.

• The Board will be democratically elected by its members.
  • Decisions taken by the membership will be decided on a one member, one vote basis.
  • The Trust with the Club will develop strong links with the local community and strive to be accessible to all, discriminating against none.
  • The Trust with the Club will endeavour to make admission prices as affordable as possible, to as wide a constituency as possible.
  • The Trust with the Club will encourage young, local participation - playing and supporting - whenever possible.
  • The Trust will remain a non-profit organisation

Build something that's workable, not something that it will never, ever be able to manage.

I like this.

The end-game of the argument is that people need to turn up to the Trust meetings and put themselves forward.

Change isn't going to happen if people don't grasp the nettle and commit.

The fans representative role needs to be separated away from the conflict of the joint Club Director role.

But - like most things in life - that's easier said than done.

Is it that difficult though? Just needs Simon to agree to Barry becoming a director in his own right (and I can't see why he wouldn't agree), and the Trust to sort its :censored: out and go through the proper governance of getting a replacement in place. It really shouldn't be hard, but could really re-invigorate the Trust. It just feels a bit stale and in a rut at the moment. I couldn't even tell you if I was a member or not - I've never had a reminder that my membership has expired, not received any prompts to join, not been informed of upcoming meetings (other than playershare ones), etc etc. Couldn't even tell you who the current directors are - and no idea if the website is up to date.

The trust is a weird one. In principle what they say is correct the avenues are in place for people to change it and challenge Barry etc.

However in reality, as a supposed representative of the fans they really should acknowledge their shortcomings and admit they are doing very little to represent and liaise with the fans and that it is time for a rethink to get everyone working together.

Simon has to trust the fan's representative not to pass on information that he doesn't want broadcast. In this sense the representative is not fulfilling the role as expected by some on here who want to know everything that goes on. Barry is their simply to put the fans point of view across at board meetings, when issues crop up that he thinks affects us. I know sometimes he puts his foot in it, but anyone fulfilling this role would be on a hiding to nothing.

if there is a big majority for change could we not branch out ourselves under the playershare umbrella then make the contributors automatic members.

we then grow the playershare money for a season or two, then armed with a lump sum we then approach sc with a share option of latics when we hand it over for a player,which cuts the middleman out ie the trust.

it's 2014 not the 70,s the worlds moved on an from what I'm getting the joist of its not barry people have got the ump with, it's the way the trust is set up

Over the past 10 years I have been forced to defend my position and activities on numerous occasions. I can never win whatever I say or do. At the expense of repeating myself I will NOT get involved with individuals or posts that are personal or rude.

Just a couple of points.

I did say I would arrange another meeting I just did not say when I could do this. To the poster who posed the original question, I am happy to meet you at the club to answer any queries you may have, if indeed it is imformation I can give you. Clearly you are not happy with me at the moment so let us try and resolve that. !!

We have been trying to do the managers "get togethers" every three or four months. We have just had one so I will be arranging one in the next 4-6 weeks.

I am currently looking at a larger forum and will annnounce the date if it can be arranged.

OWTB represents a percentage of fans (followers) that call upon my services and time and like it or not I also deal with many other commitments and fans who have no interest or input with this site.

I spread myself thinly over a wide range of responsibilities and also complete a large amount of work and representation on behalf of the club.

For those doubters, I complete work in the interests of ALL Oldham Athletic fans because that is my remit. I appreciate that some have others views about my role but that is my belief and stated position.

Contrary to rumour I do not get paid for the work I do nor do I receive any expenses. Whilst I know it aggravates a few, I do enjoy the priveleges of Directorship and on matchdays help with entertaining the visiting teams Directors.

For those who are interested in the actual input of my work , it has always been the case that the Trust sets aside time for fans to attend prior to our meeting to ask any questions they wish. We do this between 7.00pm and 7.30pm, with further time if necessary. For those who are only interested in the time I put in with a view to be interested themselves in the future , I would say I average approximately 5-6 hours daily on most days of the week. This can also entail many meetings in a given period together with some late evenings. Fortunately my personal circumstances allow for this and I could be criticised for putting this amount of time in. On top of this I perform my Trust responsibilities

In the past I have agreed to meet fans to explain my role but either no one turns up to the meetings we have arranged nor does anyone seek such a meeting.

Furthermore the Trust has always had an open door policy for anyone who wishes to help in anyway with a view to eventually becoming a director if the work suits them.

Perhaps those who spend many hours on this site could consider spending some of that time helping the Trust or indeed the Playershare Committee.

Thankyou

Barry

Barry.....please give me details of when and how I can meet you or when your next trust get together is so I can arrange as you have offered.

Just a couple of points to clear up.....your original post informed me you would arrange anther meet 'sooner rather than later' so it is rather contradictory to then inform me as above you will stick to 'every 2/3 months'.

You stated that I am 'clearly not happy with you' whilst I am disappointed at the lack of communication on a number of fronts when I have either posted on here or emailed you directly I have never actually said I disliked you, I have in fact pointed out that I have no opinion either way as I like to generally meet people first!

Also just to point out I am also a Director (Managing) of my own business (that hasn't sponsored the club despite some tentative enquiries)who like many others have to juggle a number of different roles and activities.....in my mind Communication is key to success in anything and everything we do.

Simon has to trust the fan's representative not to pass on information that he doesn't want broadcast. In this sense the representative is not fulfilling the role as expected by some on here who want to know everything that goes on. Barry is their simply to put the fans point of view across at board meetings, when issues crop up that he thinks affects us. I know sometimes he puts his foot in it, but anyone fulfilling this role would be on a hiding to nothing.

Good post......my question would be where does he garner that fans view?

Rummy you seem to have all the answers... now put up or shut up.

I can't because I don't have these alleged 6 hours a day free without getting paid. Therefore, going by your cock-eyed argument, those who share the same predicament as me are restricted and cannot challenge the Trust leadership. Which is another :censored:ing load.

I can't because I don't have these alleged 6 hours a day free without getting paid. Therefore, going by your cock-eyed argument, those who share the same predicament as me are restricted and cannot challenge the Trust leadership. Which is another :censored:ing load.

That's your answer then...I'm afraid that having the time,inclination and financial wherewithal are all some of the qualifications sad to say.

That's your answer then...I'm afraid that having the time,inclination and financial wherewithal are all some of the qualifications sad to say.

Makes it kind of exclusive though, wouldn't you say?

These are how revolutions begin.