FAO Barry Owen

Incidentally, there is talk on the Roughyeds site about getting more involved with their chairman-maybe with an not altogether altruistic purpose. But I think the Rugby Oldham template for the Trust is valid one.
I want to separate OACT as I know that Trust will cover some of the points in the following post by the RO chairman

geoffcooke

Players 32 posts Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Two threads seem to be covering a single topic so I will try to answer points raised in both in this posting.

Firstly, as Chairman of Rugby Oldham I find it ironic that for a long time after the formation of Rugby Oldham we were castigated on this very forum for (incorrectly) wishing to take over the running of ORLFC and find that now we are being asked to do just that wholly or in part. I would refer everyone to our website (just google Rugby Oldham) which sets out our aims and objectives. In addition all our Newsletters are published and set out the progress or otherwise of our relations with ORLFC over the years. These will help you judge for yourselves where we stand.

Nevertheless I am grateful to 'roughyedspud' for raising the issues he has and hope we can make some progress. If any of you wish to sign up to Rugby Oldham Supporters Trust I would encourage you to do so (download and complete a form from the website) and should you wish to become a Board member you could stand for election at the AGM which will be held in May. We would welcome new blood and I will keep you posted on this forum about when nominations are required plus the date and venue of the AGM.

I would point out that Rugby Oldham is a co-operative abiding by strict regulations and is a recognised member of Supporters Direct. As has been said only one Supporters Trust can be recognised by Supporters Direct. I have personally attended many Supporters Trust meetings and have undergone training at some of their seminars.

We share peoples' frustration with the current situation regarding professional rugby in the town. As a result much of our work has been done to promote amateur and junior rugby and, of late, to help with promoting rugby via Mahdlo youth centre. However, I would point out that we have an ongoing commitment with ground development, though without progress on this front we can do nothing. As regards a 'Ground Development Fund' we offered to create such in a meeting with Chris Hamilton but he said that he would launch his own GDF when appropriate.

With regard to ORSA I would say that there are no 'feuding factions' (a phrase used in one posting) as far as Rugby Oldham are concerned. ORSA have different objectives to RO and we fully support what they are trying to achieve. I had a relationship of mutual respect with Nigel and hope the same is true with Sheila, Grant and Paul. At one stage we did invite ORSA to merge with us but I respect their right to decline.

As for a shareholding in ORLFC RO is neutral on the issue of ownership. We recognise that CH and SW own the club but would look at any proposal to sell shares or issue new ones. However, I wonder if the proposal to obtain a 25% shareholding would also mean shouldering 25% of any debt. Additionally it may mean being legally responsible for the financial probity of the club, a problem encountered by BQ.

RO has organised a number of initiatives - dinners, merchandise - in the past and we are currently working on a big event for September which we hope will be attractive to the town's rugby community, especially as we want to incorporate something for Neil Roden's benefit.

I will be happy to respond to any postings on this forum and if 'roughyedspud' and/or others wish to meet I am sure this can be arranged.

Sorry to go on. Best wishes to all Roughyed fans.

http://rugbyoldham.org/

Edited by singe

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

This is why we get half hearted or no reply at all... I've been critical of Barry, the Trust structures, the transparency and more for years despite Ric being a very good friend of mine.

But we're not going to get the things we want, the change we need, if all you do is come on - circle jerk about how :censored: Barry is and then toddle off!

As long as the Trust's election process remains the same, things are not going to change, Barry refuses to enter debates when he feels like it, especially if there's any hint of criticism even if it's of a constructive nature, It gives me the impression, that he doesn't give a :censored:.

It's all over the place Real.

More people to do what? The Fans' man-on-the-board puts in six hours a day for Trust purposes alone? How people have you got and how much do you want to do? I'm wondering that it may not need any more people, just management of the resources that are already at your disposal. This isn't a :censored:ing dig by the way Trust people, I just sense a lack of leadership and direction. As I've said before - let's see what you want to do and what you are doing, there might be some really quick fix solutions to get over with the crowd again. Trust popularity must be at an all time low - which, on the other hand, could mean that there's no need for a trust if the fans can't be arsed either.

I haven't got a clue about the Trust and what they do?

It would appear quite a few poster who have taken the trouble to reply on this thread in a negative fashion about the trust claim also to be not interested in it! odd that.

For those who are interested in the trust but not motivated by it's perceived direction, I suggest the best way to get motivated is make change happen from within.

I've no idea. Not involved in it. If you're interested, get involved and drive the agenda.

Why take a punt on getting involved in something you know nothing about? If O4U's questions were answered it might provide the clarity some need to commit to helping out.

Why take a punt on getting involved in something you know nothing about? If O4U's questions were answered it might provide the clarity some need to commit to helping out.

I've already pointed out I don't know, I am not involved. If it was me interested in something, I wouldn't wait for someone to explain the details to me I would go and find out. I think the other day someone from the trust posted that the next meeting is being arranged and anyone interested could hazzard along. Anything else Zorro?

Then I would suggest the interest wasn't very strong in the first place.

That's harsh lags......there are some who might be able to commit time, effort etc and some that cannot.

Does that not mean they should not be informed in general in what the trust does, it's mission etc?

As fans, should we not be informed/updated/ easy to find the info on the trust if we wanted too?

I've already pointed out I don't know, I am not involved. If it was me interested in something, I wouldn't wait for someone to explain the details to me I would go and find out. I think the other day someone from the trust posted that the next meeting is being arranged and anyone interested could hazzard along. Anything else Zorro?

None of that has anything to do with the point I made, so no, there's nothing else.