FAO Barry Owen

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some are missing my point here......

Its THE CLUB that are constantly telling us they want the fans to be involved and to be more TRANSPARENT, its been said at Meet the Manager events and SC himself has always said that if people want to know something come and ask.

If THE CLUB dont want people to know then just say so then its case closed simple as that.

This situation has come about because Barry OFFERED to arrange something following my original post, if he had said its none of our business then fair enough take it on the chin but at least we know where we stand....am I right?

I don't know Barry and to be perfectly honest had no opinion either positive or negative however as I have said previously the lack of COMMUNICATION coming from the fans voice on the Board and simple unwillingness to communicate (when it seems to suit) because of a minority (his words) is helping me form one.....

I am very flexible and open to change my mind but it aint looking good.......I'm sure he will lose sleep over that :laught30:

barry position is useless, corney thinks the trust are just a box ticking exercise to keep the fans believing we are all in it together. but fans are not part of the ownership, so in a non-confrontational way they are saying:- pay your money and keep yer beak out of our business.

Over the past 10 years I have been forced to defend my position and activities on numerous occasions. I can never win whatever I say or do. At the expense of repeating myself I will NOT get involved with individuals or posts that are personal or rude.

Just a couple of points.

I did say I would arrange another meeting I just did not say when I could do this. To the poster who posed the original question, I am happy to meet you at the club to answer any queries you may have, if indeed it is imformation I can give you. Clearly you are not happy with me at the moment so let us try and resolve that. !!

We have been trying to do the managers "get togethers" every three or four months. We have just had one so I will be arranging one in the next 4-6 weeks.

I am currently looking at a larger forum and will annnounce the date if it can be arranged.

OWTB represents a percentage of fans (followers) that call upon my services and time and like it or not I also deal with many other commitments and fans who have no interest or input with this site.

I spread myself thinly over a wide range of responsibilities and also complete a large amount of work and representation on behalf of the club.

For those doubters, I complete work in the interests of ALL Oldham Athletic fans because that is my remit. I appreciate that some have others views about my role but that is my belief and stated position.

Contrary to rumour I do not get paid for the work I do nor do I receive any expenses. Whilst I know it aggravates a few, I do enjoy the priveleges of Directorship and on matchdays help with entertaining the visiting teams Directors.

For those who are interested in the actual input of my work , it has always been the case that the Trust sets aside time for fans to attend prior to our meeting to ask any questions they wish. We do this between 7.00pm and 7.30pm, with further time if necessary. For those who are only interested in the time I put in with a view to be interested themselves in the future , I would say I average approximately 5-6 hours daily on most days of the week. This can also entail many meetings in a given period together with some late evenings. Fortunately my personal circumstances allow for this and I could be criticised for putting this amount of time in. On top of this I perform my Trust responsibilities

In the past I have agreed to meet fans to explain my role but either no one turns up to the meetings we have arranged nor does anyone seek such a meeting.

Furthermore the Trust has always had an open door policy for anyone who wishes to help in anyway with a view to eventually becoming a director if the work suits them.

Perhaps those who spend many hours on this site could consider spending some of that time helping the Trust or indeed the Playershare Committee.

Thankyou

Barry

Is anyone an actual member of the trust anymore apart from Barry

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has

Based on your signature I would have thought he was enough :)

Over the past 10 years I have been forced to defend my position and activities on numerous occasions. I can never win whatever I say or do. At the expense of repeating myself I will NOT get involved with individuals or posts that are personal or rude.

Just a couple of points.

I did say I would arrange another meeting I just did not say when I could do this. To the poster who posed the original question, I am happy to meet you at the club to answer any queries you may have, if indeed it is imformation I can give you. Clearly you are not happy with me at the moment so let us try and resolve that. !!

We have been trying to do the managers "get togethers" every three or four months. We have just had one so I will be arranging one in the next 4-6 weeks.

I am currently looking at a larger forum and will annnounce the date if it can be arranged.

OWTB represents a percentage of fans (followers) that call upon my services and time and like it or not I also deal with many other commitments and fans who have no interest or input with this site.

I spread myself thinly over a wide range of responsibilities and also complete a large amount of work and representation on behalf of the club.

For those doubters, I complete work in the interests of ALL Oldham Athletic fans because that is my remit. I appreciate that some have others views about my role but that is my belief and stated position.

Contrary to rumour I do not get paid for the work I do nor do I receive any expenses. Whilst I know it aggravates a few, I do enjoy the priveleges of Directorship and on matchdays help with entertaining the visiting teams Directors.

For those who are interested in the actual input of my work , it has always been the case that the Trust sets aside time for fans to attend prior to our meeting to ask any questions they wish. We do this between 7.00pm and 7.30pm, with further time if necessary. For those who are only interested in the time I put in with a view to be interested themselves in the future , I would say I average approximately 5-6 hours daily on most days of the week. This can also entail many meetings in a given period together with some late evenings. Fortunately my personal circumstances allow for this and I could be criticised for putting this amount of time in. On top of this I perform my Trust responsibilities

In the past I have agreed to meet fans to explain my role but either no one turns up to the meetings we have arranged nor does anyone seek such a meeting.

Furthermore the Trust has always had an open door policy for anyone who wishes to help in anyway with a view to eventually becoming a director if the work suits them.

Perhaps those who spend many hours on this site could consider spending some of that time helping the Trust or indeed the Playershare Committee.

Thankyou

Barry

Barry

Jack it in.

Everyone on here wants someone to be in your positon on the board

Everyone on here thinks they could do it better than you

A majority think you’re crap at it.

Some think you’re in the chairman's pocket

Some think you’re making a butty out of it

You are right that you can never win ( have I just contradicted myself?)

You seem to imply that some of us on here would like to replace you, I think you are wrong. We are quite happy to criticise you from afar.

Before you gained your lofty position I stood in front of you in the Lookers and listened to you shouting crap. You may remember me, I stood in front of you shouting crap.

The difference is that people know who you are now, but not me ( I still shout crap)

so to sum up Barry does it voluntary an no one else wants to do it?

We don't know. The Trust committee decided last time that only committee members could stand. Commitee members being created by co-option of the committee this doesn't suggest that we scoured the rank and file of the members(whoever they are) to see if there was an alternative. Of course it's voluntary, but the fact is someone who couldn't spend the hours Barry does could still do the job of Trust Director. Barry could carry on as what there have always been, Directors who put time and effort into the club on their own account, and without the conflict of interest that will always dog his efforts

tottie. Oh for the good times. Whilst we all talked crap in the Lookers we had some good times.

Like to have a chat sometime. A lot of the guys from the Lookers still sit together in the main stand and travel to away games together. My wife being one of them (she is'nt for the big life.) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

Well spoken Barry.

I spent around 15yrs as a Director - about half that as Chairman - of a small Limited Company. On rare occasions at AGM's I would be taken to task by a shareholder over something that I thought was unrealistic, unaffordable or too time consuming to achieve for the Director who would be delegated to bring the proposal to fruition, which was often me.

In these instances my answer would be to invite them onto the Board to deliver their proposal (very doable in our case).

That was 'always' the end of the matter.

In my experience, very rarely is something as easy as it seems. Voicing concerns and seeking change is a far easier than finding someone to be accountable. But no less valid.

Well spoken Barry.I spent around 15yrs as a Director - about half that as Chairman - of a small Limited Company. On rare occasions at AGM's I would be taken to task by a shareholder over something that I thought was unrealistic, unaffordable or too time consuming to achieve for the Director who would be delegated to bring the proposal to fruition, which was often me.In these instances my answer would be to invite them onto the Board to deliver their proposal (very doable in our case).That was 'always' the end of the matter.In my experience, very rarely is something as easy as it seems. Voicing concerns and seeking change is a far easier than finding someone to be accountable. But no less valid.

The equivalent offered here is to to turn up and speak to the Committee before they have their meeting, which you as a member are not allowed to attend, and which no minutes are available for. Obviously not all members are aware of meetings, as they don't know who the members are so as to notify them. It's less of a surprise that they were defrauded than it is that anyone found out, and even then it seems the Trust account of things was a little iffy. This is not good corporate governance.

You are doing fine Barry, if someone feels they can do better they can put up or shut up.

What a :censored:ing load.

It's not a valid argument, chiefly because the fans have no idea what the job entails - and subsequently, if the role (as outlined by Himself above) is non-paying and requires just short of a full working day to maintain, how many people could honestly "put up" as you put it? Unless you've retired from a long-standing job with an amazing pension or other extreme personal circumstances that would allow you to do so. I'm sure you'll agree, it eliminates quite a large amount a folk from being able to make themselves available for the job.

I could argue that the incumbent is there by virtue of there being virtually nobody else that could do it.

Let's put a few things out there that still haven't been resolved from last time he was a subject of debate on this website, y'know as a measure of their commitment:

• Trust website to be updated (and this doesn't mean a new front-end, have you read it recently? :censored:ssakes)
  • Minutes to be made available to Trust members who cannot attend "Barry's Clinic" or the meetings, including (if there is one) a review of the Trust bank account.
  • Figures of paying members year on year

And for balance.

As fans you have to decide what the Trust need to do for you, In my opinion fans demand too much of them - the Trust probably cannot possibly do what they want them to, so the trust should set out a more achievable targets for themselves.

• The Board will be democratically elected by its members.
  • Decisions taken by the membership will be decided on a one member, one vote basis.
  • The Trust with the Club will develop strong links with the local community and strive to be accessible to all, discriminating against none.
  • The Trust with the Club will endeavour to make admission prices as affordable as possible, to as wide a constituency as possible.
  • The Trust with the Club will encourage young, local participation - playing and supporting - whenever possible.
  • The Trust will remain a non-profit organisation

Build something that's workable, not something that it will never, ever be able to manage.

What a :censored:ing load.

It's not a valid argument, chiefly because the fans have no idea what the job entails - and subsequently, if the role (as outlined by Himself above) is non-paying and requires just short of a full working day to maintain, how many people could honestly "put up" as you put it? Unless you've retired from a long-standing job with an amazing pension or other extreme personal circumstances that would allow you to do so. I'm sure you'll agree, it eliminates quite a large amount a folk from being able to make themselves available for the job.

I could argue that the incumbent is there by virtue of there being virtually nobody else that could do it.

Was the fans/Trusts representative on the board ever supposed to work nigh on full time at the club for nothing?

Do they at other clubs with shareholding Trusts?

Edited by HarryBosch

Was the fans/Trusts representative on the board ever supposed to work nigh on full time at the club for nothing?

Do they at other clubs with shareholding Trusts?

No, and that's the point.

Barry is carrying out two roles - one is fan's representative on the board, one is club director.

The first *isn't* a full time job - effectively, the minimum requirement is attendance at every board meeting, and subsequent meetings with the Trust board and updates to the fans. The second, well, Simon will get you doing whatever you can spare time for I suspect.

The right answer feels to me to be to split the two roles - Barry can quite happily carry on acting as a club director, and someone else can represent the fans - without the added burden of the official directorship, that person can spend much more time (although again I'm not talking hours and hours each day) getting the Trust turned around and acting as it was setup to do.