Latics bad weather conditions matches ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

West Ham in the Cup early 1960s. Torrential rain and a howling gale blowing from the RRE to the Chaddy. Jack Burkett (IIRC) scored for West Ham from inside his own half, the ball carrying in the wind, one bounce and it skated past Johnny Bollands and in. There's a pic of it in one of Stewart Beckett's books.

There used to be a band at half time in those days, but the weather was so bad, they played in the top tier of the main stand.

I'm sure Diego, BP1960 and LaticsPete will remember it. Provided they were there, of course.

West Ham in the Cup early 1960s. Torrential rain and a howling gale blowing from the RRE to the Chaddy. Jack Burkett (IIRC) scored for West Ham from inside his own half, the ball carrying in the wind, one bounce and it skated past Johnny Bollands and in. There's a pic of it in one of Stewart Beckett's books.

There used to be a band at half time in those days, but the weather was so bad, they played in the top tier of the main stand.

I'm sure Diego, BP1960 and LaticsPete will remember it. Provided they were there, of course.

It was 1966 (the West Ham 'World Cup winners') and I was at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal as the ball went in. I was willing Oxley to attempt that today. BTW in the months of January and February 1966, the eight home matches (including that W. Ham one) totaled attendances of 111,505, averaging 13,938.

Walsall at home in the Lookers getting soaked to the skin in the freezing cold. It was a night game and we lost 2-0 I think.

I always associate playing Bristol Rovers at home with defeats in the cold.

EDIT: Could have been this one: >> http://www.11v11.com/matches/oldham-athletic-v-walsall-29-december-2007-279858/ <<

Edited by oafc-latics

No doubt Diego will be along shortly to tell us how we once played in the 50's under 8 foot of snow

Snow on the pitch was brilliant - the lines marked out in blue and sliding tackles galore!

Back in the plastic pitch days, the very strong wind prevented the ball from being stationary at goal-kicks, even when it was placed on a handful of sand. So the ref allowed the law to be bent, by permitting a defender to hold his finger on top of the ball, while the keeper kicked it - I kid you not!

The worst conditions I remember were Millwall at home 0-0, with the horizontal rain even reaching the seats at the back of the Chaddy.

It was 1966 (the West Ham 'World Cup winners') and I was at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal as the ball went in. I was willing Oxley to attempt that today. BTW in the months of January and February 1966, the eight home matches (including that W. Ham one) totaled attendances of 111,505, averaging 13,938.h

I was at back of Chaddy rd end....that earned West Ham a replay and they annihilated us at Upton Park.

Edited by pk200

It was 1966 (the West Ham 'World Cup winners') and I was at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal as the ball went in. I was willing Oxley to attempt that today. BTW in the months of January and February 1966, the eight home matches (including that W. Ham one) totaled attendances of 111,505, averaging 13,938.

So was I. We may even have been stood next to each other.

I never really see torrential rain as bad weather for playing football in. It's just wind that makes the game unplayable (unless the pitch floods). There have been plenty games where the wind has been as bad as today and it's always a non event in terms of football. In fact, we normally lose those games 1-0.