Latics bad weather conditions matches ?

Chelmsford at home in the F.A Cup,not sure what year.The heavens decided to open up all of a sudden.Next moment about 50 or more of their fans who were sat in the front rows of the RRE all got up and legged it at once.

Won 3-0? and the rain made for a really good atmosphere if memory serves me right. Not read all of this thread but I'm sure Chesterfield away has been mentioned. That hail on an open terrace was painful

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that chesterfield away was awful. Good job we won. Also remember brentford away on the open terrace, and buying new socks for the journey home mine were so wet

Under Talbot? I remember that, it was a really nice sunny Autumn day but then it all seemed to come down just as they scored the 2nd goal, I believe there was some hail involved too. My phone didn't work because it got so badly drenched.

late seventies early eightys Burnley at home tuesday night game and weather that bad only one solitery Burnley fan in the rre all the rest were either in the chaddy or the paddocks

can remember the pic on the back page of the chron of him soaked and all alone

also didnt it bounce down first home league game on the plastic ( BARNSLEY ?) ?

The Barnsley game was allowed to be played on the Monday rather than Saturday.

The pitch was bright orange because the vast amounts of sand and grit had not bedded down.

And yes it hammered down ......and as anyone(like myself) who has been wiped out by a defender on that pitch will tell you , the wetter the better.

I recall the '66 West Ham FA Cup tie, and rain wasn't the problem but thick snow and ice. Beautiful blue sky day. Bolland slipped on the snow as he went out for the ball and was sliding on his backside into the West Ham half as the ball bounced over his head into the net. Worse was when ex-United's Albert "Golden Boy" Quixall missed the first penalty of his career. Being Latics, we did the same again the following season, losing a two-goal lead to to Second Division Wolves in the last two minutes and then being hammered at Molineux.

A couple stand out.

Think it was Doncaster, and think Penney was their manager. Sat in the old Lookers paddock. It rained so much, and with such force, we were soaked to the bone, and people started to take off their hoods as there was no point having them up - you were that wet.

Pitch wise; one of the worst was Chasetowns in the FA Cup. It was like a swamp. Remember a picture of Marc Tierney making the newspapers, and his white kit was black all over from the mud.

The ball didnt roll properly it was that bad. Amazed it was still allowed to be played...

Edited by slystallone

there have been worse, but Chelsea in the FA Cup in January 1999 was a bad 'un - I remember this one as my new girlfriend came to Oldham for the first time that day, I promised her a big memorable day out - instead took her to BP . :OASISscarf:

We both sat in front of the police box in the uncovered Lookers stand, p!ss wet through and with hypothermia with only Paul Durkin's Hot Dog moment for entertainment - With her looking thoroughly miserable I thought that would be the end of that relationship - however now been married over 10 years !! :jailed:

West Ham in the Cup early 1960s. Torrential rain and a howling gale blowing from the RRE to the Chaddy. Jack Burkett (IIRC) scored for West Ham from inside his own half, the ball carrying in the wind, one bounce and it skated past Johnny Bollands and in. There's a pic of it in one of Stewart Beckett's books.

There used to be a band at half time in those days, but the weather was so bad, they played in the top tier of the main stand.

I'm sure Diego, BP1960 and LaticsPete will remember it. Provided they were there, of course.

Was this an FA Cup tie (not sponsored by Budwiser) that ended 2 - 2 and Albert Quixall missed a penalty for us

As someone else said was that the NIL NIL with Millwall so windy on that plastic pitch, freezing too

I was at BP for a match against Millwall in (I think) 1997. There was a punch up involving all players and even the ref got a smack. I recall it being so windy our keeper had to save one of his own goal kicks as it blew back at him.