Trust Relaunch

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't subscribe to some of 0000's views but will commend you on your attempt to create a positive discussion on the Trust. I actually agree with many of the points you put in your initial post. And wrote similar recently.

Organisation, communication and a clear strategy are the big aspects, that in my view the Trust should look to address.

If I could take it back to before Barry's intervention, in my view (and what I think Barry may have been trying to mean) we have a Trust, which is governed by, as I understand it, (yes possibly slightly dated) rules - set with the original help of Supporters Direct and governed by law.

We, unlike some other Trusts, are in a fortunate position (putting personal feelings about individuals aside) to have a shareholding and seat on the board.

Talk therefore of new supporters associations/revolutions on the steps - which in my view would have less rigorous governance- is I fear potentially divisive and largely pointless.

After all we already have a vehicle, granted with more than a few broken or damaged bits, that still has the potential to make a difference.

Let's face it, the club, and it's organisational failings, present a great opportunity for a reinvigorated Trust to lead parts of the agenda and create a strong voice. The reason the Reading Trust appears strong is really down to one factor - number of members.

As 0000 has said, finance (through membership fees) plays a part, but also the more numbers involved the better and stronger the directors of the Trust can be. Get the organisation, communication and focus/purpose clear and get some confidence back and numbers, in my view, will follow.

Personally I do think there has been a dilution of the purpose and activities of the Trust, which lets not forget is almost 10 years old and was created at a time when it had 1 crucial purpose.

Understandably, when that immediate concern passed involvement steadily fell and unfortunately the focus has become clouded.

However, I know a couple of the current board and they are working very hard, and most importantly recognise the need for change - and that is the collective view of the board from my understanding.

I am also aware that in Barry, like him or not, there is someone who has spent 10 years trying to plug holes in a sometimes chaotic club - sometimes he's done alright, other times he's failed. But at the end of the day he's 1 man, the Trust is an organisation that could be made a hell of a lot better even if Barry remains in post.

That's why as a Trust member I'll be at the AGM - looking to get further involved and hopefully part of leading the agenda going forward.

Could Playershare breakaway as a separate trust?

I think it would be a huge error for PS to try and do so. PS needs to keep doing what it's doing and not get involved in the politics of how the club is run, how fans are represented, etc.

If a new supporters' body needs to be set up, PS should not be the vehicle to do so.

My understanding is that although it was an idea born out of the Trust it is very much it's own it's own thing.

The PlayerShare committee isn't answerable to the Trust.

Is it?

I believe we are our own thing, but have never felt that Barry and rick the two trust representative, have enforced trust issues upon us nor have I felt we wee answerable to the trust either.

Maybe instead of is being viewed as separate, maybe us the committee should try and instill the message that we work in partnership with...or is that a thought for a later date after the trust meeting and how it pans out.

Would saying we work in partnership with the trust put you, our contributors off?..hmmmm

This thread as certainly made me think which is not a bad thing

Anyway off to dig out my waterproofs and set off to the game, look out for a soggy woman (oh how rude...tut) dishing out playershare newsletter and come say hello.

Am still confused over which stand to go in too....rre or chaddy I can cope.

Hope the boys can give us the points let's cheer em on.

I think it would be a huge error for PS to try and do so. PS needs to keep doing what it's doing and not get involved in the politics of how the club is run, how fans are represented, etc.

If a new supporters' body needs to be set up, PS should not be the vehicle to do so.

I completely agree.

One thing I am certain about is we NEED the Trust!

Possibly more than ever with the current owner talking about walking away more than ever. I'm a long way from believing it's in a fit state to run the club without Corney.

But simply walking along and signing up now and parting with more money isn't going to happen until the Trust can demonstrate to me its changed.

I think the Trust needs to explain clearly what it's values are and what it stands for. As well as why it's relevant. For me, becoming a Latics regular eight years ago, it hasn't seemed particularly relevant in that period.

I think the Trust should be for contingency of enabling the continuance of professional football in Oldham (enough money to pay a few legal bills if it hits the fan, a bit of cash aside for leaflet printing and bucket buying, preferably enough money to buy a Golden Share in the Football League - although I think this might be a bit beyond reasonable).

I think it should be for providing extra supporter related facilities linked to the club (perhaps operating match day catering and bar sales, supporters bar in the new stand, enhancing basic facilities such as toilets and first aid etc over and above the minimum standards the club should provide.

I think it should be able to provide grants to enhance facilities in the youth set up, supporting kids away from the parental home for the first time and engaging these kids with the local community.

Additionally, spin off initiatives like PlayerShare are a clear and positive example of what can be achieved.

I feel many fans feel this way. So I would like to propose a number of steps for the trust to take to win back support.

I'm not sure many fans are that bothered. Which is a shame. I do think that the organisation needs to be bothered to get fans bothered.

For clarity, I think this is a tremendous thread to start.

Ok its a bit of a fag packet list but its something of a start. Feel free to add / counter suggest but keep it positive as possible.Make use of modern day communication tools. The Trust website, Trust Twitter and Trust Facebook should be the main form of communication. Secondary should be fans forums like OWTB.

I agree. But I would make owtb central alongside the other outlets you mention. From promoting PlayerShare WebShop it's clear to me that I get better traction from owtb posts than I do from Facebook or Twiitter.

Last of all should be face to face meetings, social events and so on. There really shouldn't be a need outside a yearly AGM for everyone to get together except for social / fund raising events. The world has moved on. People don't have time for that sort of monthly / quarterly meeting.

I do think there's a need for an active hierarchy so regular committee meetings, including checking the bank statements, should happen.

I know people will immediately point to people without web access but the stark reality is you can't run something like this as if it was the 1980s still. The world has moved to online. Its time the Trust did.

Agreed. Although leafleting at home matches is not unreasonable. Efforts to build up a basic database of members and email addresses could gain massive traction (which from the outside is a database that doesn't seem to exist).

Real representation - If the Trust is not representing the fans it is not doing its job. Our man on the board has to be taking more than his own opinions to the board. Even when he doesn't agree with the fans consensus. The Trust is a Union and any good Union leader knows he is there to represent his membership first, second and last. Once you stop doing that its game over.

Agreed. Perhaps why I've been aware of it, but not really aware of what positives it brings.

Real democracy - One fan One vote. The current system of Director lead appointments for our guy on the board is not right. The fans should be choosing their representative. The Trust needs leaders, its need directors. But anyone should be able to stand for election to the OAFC board. The appointment should last no more than two years. Candidates should have to produce a brief explanation of why they should be elected and members should vote them in.

I think there's a lot to be discussed on this one. I think two years is too short and could lead to a loss of skills within the club. I worry about the potential for a crank to get elected and end up damaging the club or undermining the relevance of the Trust because any majority owner ignores him/her in the boardroom. That doesn't make your proposals wrong, but it is important to look closely at the risks (and benefits) of the various options. Change, it would seem, is appropriate.

Full transparency - Everything should be published on the Trust website. Accounts, Minutes, News, Events etc.

Real consultation - Issues facing the club and being raised at board meetings should be put to the fans for consultation. Fans can be polled via the Trust website.

Yes, yes and yes. Although there will be occasions where decisions have to be made quickly by elected officials without consultation. Such decisions will still need communicating.

Financial contribution - The membership fee is stupid low.

I think it needs to stay low if the Trust is to succeed in re-engaging fans. It's more important to collect the fee, know who's paid and involve them accordingly. Up the price if greater value is being delivered. Not before.

I would suggest Playershare should be dissolved** - having a separate scheme like Playershare and a trust almost puts the two up against each other for our money. A new membership package need creating via the trust with a membership fee to suit with an option to make regular monthly contributions on top of this. The Trust as a collective can then decide how it wants to use the money, including helping fund players if that is what people choose.

I wholeheartedly disagree on PlayerShare. It is the best fan engagement there is at present. It is relevant. It works and an improved Trust can help make it work better. It's a way for fans to directly improve what they watch on the pitch. It is their tiny bit of influence around what happens on the pitch. To scrap it now would take that away from them, would be seen as arrogance and would be, quite simply, the wrong thing to do.

Keep PlayerShare outside of Trust politics and Trust funding. It's a true fan project that doesn't need messing with. It's a positive. It has potential to grow. It's independent of the Trust and it's independent of the club.

For me, clear objectives, a simple membership list, a basic and cheap annual contribution with communication / fund raising events based on the ideas above are essential, along with democratic reform.

If OWTB represents a good proportion of our fans feelings (which I think it does) it is clear that The Trust is more disengaged than ever in regards to what the everyday fan wants and feels. Sadly these conversations have been taking place for years so I very much doubt that anything will change from a Trust viewpoint.

It seems that there is serious call for change but the problem is there is no united front to stand up to the Trust or to change it from within, its just a lot of individual thoughts and opinions.

I am thinking out loud now but, if I am right in thinking that the Trust meeting is coming up could OWTB threads/polls not be used to canvas some real opinions from our fan base in regards to the current situation and how it could be improved. It is easy for people like Barry to take people on 1 on 1 like in this thread and rubbish what people say but if we have polls/votes and strength in numbers they cannot be so dismissive and if they are then it shows it is time for real action.

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

If OWTB represents a good proportion of our fans feelings (which I think it does) it is clear that The Trust is more disengaged than ever in regards to what the everyday fan wants and feels. Sadly these conversations have been taking place for years so I very much doubt that anything will change from a Trust viewpoint.

It seems that there is serious call for change but the problem is there is no united front to stand up to the Trust or to change it from within, its just a lot of individual thoughts and opinions.

I am thinking out loud now but, if I am right in thinking that the Trust meeting is coming up could OWTB threads/polls not be used to canvas some real opinions from our fan base in regards to the current situation and how it could be improved. It is easy for people like Barry to take people on 1 on 1 like in this thread and rubbish what people say but if we have polls/votes and strength in numbers they cannot be so dismissive and if they are then it shows it is time for real action.

You just need a few of the more sensible people on here to join up, attend, and nominate each other as directors. Even 2 or 3 on the board would likely help start improving things.

So at the AGM we are able to vote for the next chairman of the trust or is there any point because the elections will clearly be rigged in Barry's favour

No you won't be able to vote.

IF he is up for re-election and he stands again (I am guessing he certainly will) he will be voted on via the other Trust Directors. So you would need a majority of directors against the idea and an alternative director to vote for. General membership doesn't get a say. You are not trusted enough.

Said person would then be chairman of trust & oafc board member.

Edited by oafc0000

No you won't be able to vote.

IF he is up for re-election and he stands again (I am guessing he certainly will) he will be voted on via the other Trust Directors. So you would need a majority of directors against the idea and an alternative director to vote for. General membership doesn't get a say. You are not trusted enough.

Said person would then be chairman of trust & oafc board member.

Well this is a complete farce then. Obviously the board are just going to re-elect Barry, probably the majority of fans would vote for somebody else due to the trust not doing much. Basically it's run as a dictatorship, no wonder the trust doesn't have much membership

Well this is a complete farce then. Obviously the board are just going to re-elect Barry, probably the majority of fans would vote for somebody else due to the trust not doing much. Basically it's run as a dictatorship, no wonder the trust doesn't have much membership

The very reason its run the way it is, no accountability no transparency its not fit for purpose but suits barrys agenda, countless messages on here to support that view, god help us if the club is handed over to the trust be like the lunatics taking over the asylum.

Edited by yarddog73

As a playershare committee member, i would like to express my delight at all the positivety surrounding the scheme but would urge you to contribute if you can and don't yet. The next playershare signing is going to be hugely important to the scheme after the overall disappointment with eddie. We have a substantial amount in the bank and want to build that to as much as we can to try and give a "warchest" to LJ to secure the best player he possibly can with the funds. This is the time to do it.

As far as the trust goes, i have personally offered my assistance and will sit down and have a chat with the directors to see how i can help but the more people involved, the stronger the trust will become

As a playershare committee member, i would like to express my delight at all the positivety surrounding the scheme but would urge you to contribute if you can and don't yet. The next playershare signing is going to be hugely important to the scheme after the overall disappointment with eddie. We have a substantial amount in the bank and want to build that to as much as we can to try and give a "warchest" to LJ to secure the best player he possibly can with the funds. This is the time to do it.

As far as the trust goes, i have personally offered my assistance and will sit down and have a chat with the directors to see how i can help but the more people involved, the stronger the trust will become

our captive audience is when matches are on so talking to fans before and at half time is the best opportunaty we have of getting more donaters.

explaining the players brought in by playershare and its potential could influence more fans.

our captive audience is when matches are on so talking to fans before and at half time is the best opportunaty we have of getting more donaters.

explaining the players brought in by playershare and its potential could influence more fans.

Myself and Chris arrived a little late at the match on Saturday and only managed to hand out the new playershare plus newsletter infront of the club shop and main stand and I know I dish a couple out in the rre just before ko too.

We will be on hand again at the next home match, hope to get some posters up around the place too and in the last few home games we are arranging an article in the programme.

If anyone would like a copy of the he playershare newsletter, please pm c.hill on here so he get one emailed to you and add you to our list for future events.

As we all sit in different parts of the ground, we are hoping next season is for us to be wearing shirts with something like "ask me about player share..." On them. It would have to be xxxxxxxxxxxxllllllllllllll plus for me as I do wear several layers on match days.

Thanks

Myself and Chris arrived a little late at the match on Saturday and only managed to hand out the new playershare plus newsletter infront of the club shop and main stand and I know I dish a couple out in the rre just before ko too.

We will be on hand again at the next home match, hope to get some posters up around the place too and in the last few home games we are arranging an article in the programme.

If anyone would like a copy of the he playershare newsletter, please pm c.hill on here so he get one emailed to you and add you to our list for future events.

As we all sit in different parts of the ground, we are hoping next season is for us to be wearing shirts with something like "ask me about player share..." On them. It would have to be xxxxxxxxxxxxllllllllllllll plus for me as I do wear several layers on match days.

Thanks

Why don't the Trust try such initiatives to attract new members ?

Thanks

Or look out for the lady in the waterproofs and big hat worn to fight of hypothermia. Have to say I thought you were a deep sea trawlerman yesterday with all that gear on. Thanks for the flyer I will fill in the mandate and hand it in to the bank on Wednesday.

Edited by disjointed

Or look out for the lady in the waterproofs and big hat worn to fight of hypothermia. Have to say I thought you were a deep sea trawlerman yesterday with all that gear on. Thanks for the flyer I will fill in the mandate and hand it in to the bank on Wednesday.

Very much appreciated. Going to try and have an area in the club shop on saturday and will be distributing the newsletter and mandates around the ground again pre match. If anyone wants an email version of the newsletter, standing order form and our Messi poster then PM me. Also feel free to print them out and forward to friends and family.