North Stand Construction Thread

This.

This,

If the club had not been flexible, not tried to get it right, then they would have been criticised, and rightly so .

I have worked on a number of projects where exactly that happened.

The plans were drawn up, they had to be followed and it gave a significant ongoing operating cost.

And if Korey Smith sale pays for it. Name the stand after him.

Christ, some people do want to have a tant at anything.

After Korey and JCH and D Philly and.............................................. A stand fit for the 2nd Division in which you can sit and watch 4th division football

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not naive enough to think alterations don't need to be made....i expected to go over budget but really? How do you spend 2 million pounds which is unplanned for?

That to me is bad budgeting...if you budget a job, it should have a buffer but 50% of the entire job is ridiculous....

the excuses seem pretty feeble especially when you can watch the time lapse feed which appears to show them working in all weather near on every working day, how can something that only started going up 3 month ago be 6 month behind, I personally think the stands gone up in good time.

the excuses seem pretty feeble especially when you can watch the time lapse feed which appears to show them working in all weather near on every working day, how can something that only started going up 3 month ago be 6 month behind, I personally think the stands gone up in good time.

Hope they can wait for their money and don't down tools.

Just look at what was said. £2 million over original budget. Now that may not be as bad as it sounds.

If it means that the cost will be that much more then - About £500,000 could be down to loss of grant from the Football Foundstion, and the original figures could have been based on specifications that were basic. As research has gone on then there seems to have been a view that further investment could reap better returns.

Not necessarily poor budgeting at all....

I believe it's £700k from the Football Foundation, £750k for kitting out the kitchens and £500k for miscellaneous other stuff.

Bad budgeting? The cost of a Samsung microwave at £50 v the cost of a commercial kitchen catering for 500 people sounds a bit out. The rest of it just :censored: that happens.

Tarky, Smith, some prudent housekeeping (e.g. not paying top dollar to retain Wes) combined with selling the stadium naming rights narrow the gap right down.

Corney's probably over-egging it to manage our expectations over Korey.

Work started in January but nothing was visible until the steelwork erection started in March.

See Blog Four:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140402-north-stand-blog-1463444.aspx

How much have Oldham council put toward the stand?

£800k grant at some point, probably for the gym. The unconfirmed but good source info tells me they stepped in with a short term loan in addition to this when the Football Foundation money fell through. Then we sold Tarky to repay it.

£2m over budget is farcical. Either shockingly poor plans or shockingly poor project management I'd assume. And as someone else said, the winter was mild, so why the delays?

I'm sure there was a thread suggesting the delays were odd, but many said they were due to the complex nature of the construction etc etc, in fact I think "Harry Dowds" said that there were no actual delays, just a complex build. It seems that Simon C is giving a different view.

So who is telling the truth?

In May I (along with others) was told by a club & trust director that all was fine and progressing well. Hmmm.

If you arranged with a contractor to build an extension and he said 45k....you could understand it pushing to 50 but if he delivered your final bill and it was 65k, youd have to question the original budget.

This is exactly the same only on a larger scale. Im not having a go at the club or moaning for the sake of it; its just a genuine concern that after all the planning we could be so far out!

It makes no sense to me...

Christ we've some bloody experts on here..... changes have been made as the build has progressed and improvements to the original design have probably been made, the capacity is also 10% greater than in the original plans.

The club can't win....people will be moaning when it's finished saying why haven't we got this and why have we done that....they are just trying to do it right first time...give Corney & Co a break and you're full support for once instead of slagging them off!!!

Why is it that your not allowed to raise any concerns, worries or negative thoughts without being called a moaner?

Its ok though....because we're exactly the kind of club who can afford to run over budget by 2 million and counting...

Christ we've some bloody experts on here..... changes have been made as the build has progressed and improvements to the original design have probably been made, the capacity is also 10% greater than in the original plans.

The club can't win....people will be moaning when it's finished saying why haven't we got this and why have we done that....they are just trying to do it right first time...give Corney & Co a break and you're full support for once instead of slagging them off!!!

Your season ticket is going up by the same % - that ok with you? An extra £150 or more on top?

Christ how stupid do you have to be to see something go from £4.5m to £6.5m?

What are they doing that will bring in almost 50% more revenue than the £4.5m build they planned?

We have an experienced builder, an experienced property surveyor and an accountant involved. But hey ho, it's fine if they have to cut the squad to cover the extra cost, on the assumption that 3 experts who got the cost wrong by 50% will almost certainly have made a perfect job of predicting the future revenue returns so that the extra investment will come in.

But, if you want to give people who spend 50% more than they said they would, that can't forsee winter affecting a build (a mild winter at that) and claim that there were no delays, but now it seems there were, then hey, carry on. It's all great, rosy, not a cloud in the sky.

£2m over budget is farcical. Either shockingly poor plans or shockingly poor project management I'd assume. And as someone else said, the winter was mild, so why the delays?

I'm sure there was a thread suggesting the delays were odd, but many said they were due to the complex nature of the construction etc etc, in fact I think "Harry Dowds" said that there were no actual delays, just a complex build. It seems that Simon C is giving a different view.

So who is telling the truth?

In May I (along with others) was told by a club & trust director that all was fine and progressing well. Hmmm.

Both I and O4U have given some possible reasons only a few posts ago ....

Archived