North Stand Construction Thread

“We lost six weeks in the winter,” said Corney - Not 6 months,

9 out of 10 years in the UK we get about 3/4 weeks where the temp goes below 0C in at least some places, this year we had none.

So, does the mildest winter in the last 10 years really form a convincing reason for delay? Are you really happy with that?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 out of 10 years in the UK we get about 3/4 weeks where the temp goes below 0C in at least some places, this year we had none.

So, does the mildest winter in the last 10 years really form a convincing reason for delay? Are you really happy with that?

I believe it was wetter than usual.

Why do you think they are suddenly duty bound to tell what are in effect just members of the public every intricacy of why costs are greater than initially estimated? It doesn't matter whether we're happy with it or not, it really is none of our business. SC and the contractor are the only ones who need to know this info as between them they are carrying the risk. The only reason we've been told anything is because it gives us an idea of what sort of budget to expect going forwards with regards to incoming transfer fees etc.

The cost of the stand has gone up since the intial estimate, deal with it. We already know there have been design changes, did you expect the contractor would throw those in for free? Longer project, greater volume of materials, any number of other factors that were unforeseen but covered in our contract with them, market forces and so on and so on...

What do want exactly?

It was the rain, not great for all those deep trenches that were dug.

Why do you think they are suddenly duty bound to tell what are in effect just members of the public every intricacy of why costs are greater than initially estimated? It doesn't matter whether we're happy with it or not, it really is none of our business. SC and the contractor are the only ones who need to know this info as between them they are carrying the risk. The only reason we've been told anything is because it gives us an idea of what sort of budget to expect going forwards with regards to incoming transfer fees etc.

The cost of the stand has gone up since the intial estimate, deal with it. We already know there have been design changes, did you expect the contractor would throw those in for free? Longer project, greater volume of materials, any number of other factors that were unforeseen but covered in our contract with them, market forces and so on and so on...

What do want exactly?

If you see £2m as "intricacy" i hope you are never anywhere near a project.

As for rain! Seriously, you are all as surprised as the developers that it rained a lot in Oldham? That was identified during the Industrial Revolution. Keep looking for reasons not to criticise the club if you like, but wow, some people are really clutching at straws.

As for rain! Seriously, you are all as surprised as the developers that it rained a lot in Oldham? That was identified during the Industrial Revolution. Keep looking for reasons not to criticise the club if you like, but wow, some people are really clutching at straws.

Out of interest, do you have any experience/knowledge of the building industry?

If you see £2m as "intricacy" i hope you are never anywhere near a project.

I didn't mention rain. I also didn't refer to the £2m as an intricacy. I stated that you don't need to know every intricacy of why the cost has increased. Your attempts at some amateur detective work to rule out potential explanations is quite frankly laughable although that's not surprising for someone who seems to have difficulty reading straight forward sentences and keeping track of more than one debate at any one time. On another thread you attempt to compare a building project to the manufacture of a family car, case closed.

Why would you criticise the club because a project came in with a higher cost than the initial estimate? Did 'Harry Dowd' subcontract the cost planning to Simon's phone company? Seems a strange choice. I agree then, definitely some blame there...

I didn't mention rain. I also didn't refer to the £2m as an intricacy. I stated that you don't need to know every intricacy of why the cost has increased. Your attempts at some amateur detective work to rule out potential explanations is quite frankly laughable although that's not surprising for someone who seems to have difficulty reading straight forward sentences and keeping track of more than one debate at any one time. On another thread you attempt to compare a building project to the manufacture of a family car, case closed.

Why would you criticise the club because a project came in with a higher cost than the initial estimate? Did 'Harry Dowd' subcontract the cost planning to Simon's phone company? Seems a strange choice. I agree then, definitely some blame there...

It's funny that you deride my abilities, rather than realise that it was someone else who made the car comparison. And you mentioned "intricacies" but I've only been looking at £2m of cost. You're happy with it, So are many others it seems.

What difference would that £2m have made to the playing budget?

What risk is there that the revenue generated will not match the extra investment?

You don't care, you're happy. Whatever, but seriously, when you can't pick a fight properly by trying to make out someone else is stupid, perhaps you should stfu. "case closed"

I think criticising the club may be a speciality of yours...get over it FFS!

Given that I've defended the £30 admin fee I think know you are wrong. Get some critical ability FFS.

Who says I'm happy? I said it's none of our business and my point is you should stop whining about it. You clearly know nothing about construction projects so what's the point in getting angry at Simon Corney who also isn't involved in the costing or the building work? Also:

I don't suppose you know anyone who'd let me quote a selling price of £17k for a new Ford but then end up charging them £25k do you? It seems some are happy with this sort of thing, so it's probably a good way to do business. And what's more, I can delay delivery and blame it on...erm... the mildest winter in the last 10 years. You seem to be up for the deal.

Whilst some people clearly try to find fault with the club at every turn, some seem to be unable to find fault with the club whatever they do.

Maybe you should call Simon and ask if you can sit in on all future meetings with the contractor, I'm sure you'll get a very welcoming response. In fact maybe you should call up some local engineering firms and ask if you can be privy to all the details of their current projects as well, I mean seems reasonable enough that you know exactly what's going on there also.

This is £2m that was never going to be spent on the playing budget, right now it's a black hole that we need to find funds to fill.

Who says I'm happy? I said it's none of our business and my point is you should stop whining about it. You clearly know nothing about construction projects so what's the point in getting angry at Simon Corney who also isn't involved in the costing or the building work? Also:

Maybe you should call Simon and ask if you can sit in on all future meetings with the contractor, I'm sure you'll get a very welcoming response. In fact maybe you should call up some local engineering firms and ask if you can be privy to all the details of their current projects as well, I mean seems reasonable enough that you know exactly what's going on there also.

This is £2m that was never going to be spent on the playing budget, right now it's a black hole that we need to find funds to fill.

Why haven't you quoted the pre-ceeding post that presented the car analogy? Is it because that would show that you are wrong? Oh dear, poor you.

And, I presume you have a lot of experince in running construction project that run 44% over budget? Otherwise, how can you comment?

That £2m will just be fine though - it won't impact on anything 'cos SC can make it appear from nowhere, without adding to the debt of the club and without paying interest that might have to be found. It's all fine. FFS how naive are some people.

I don't have the time or inclination to educate people out of this level of naivety.

I bet the project NPV is wrecked.

Im on the 'not too happy about this increase in budget' side of things....im pretty disappointed really as we cannot afford this.

We're all entitled to our view but out of interest, at what point over budget would those are are happily sitting back stand up and take notice?

Why haven't you quoted the pre-ceeding post that presented the car analogy? Is it because that would show that you are wrong? Oh dear, poor you.

And, I presume you have a lot of experince in running construction project that run 44% over budget? Otherwise, how can you comment?

That £2m will just be fine though - it won't impact on anything 'cos SC can make it appear from nowhere, without adding to the debt of the club and without paying interest that might have to be found. It's all fine. FFS how naive are some people.

I don't have the time or inclination to educate people out of this level of naivety.

I didn't quote LaticsChris because you replied happily agreeing that it was a legitimate comparison and I'm talking to you, not LaticsChris.

I work on projects where it isn't uncommon for decisions to be made that can affect the cost in the tens of millions (both positively and negatively). The chance exists that no matter what you do you can't avoid some cost increases without falling short of the design brief, this could be for a number of reasons. We know the design has changed to some extent, we have no idea if that covers the entire 'overspend', we have no idea of the terms of the contract between the club and the contractor, we have no idea if there are external factors contributing to the 2m, we have no idea what other issues have been encountered during the build - all of which is none of our business. So when 'Harry Dowd' doesn't show you details of the GI and let you peruse the structural calculations and SC doesn't invite you to the club to sit in on their meetings, maybe you should realise that's because that would be completely :censored:ing mental.

Naive, the irony.

Let's for example imagine that we were given the stand for free, does that mean that the £4.5m would then been spent on the team? Hmmm logical.

Im on the 'not too happy about this increase in budget' side of things....im pretty disappointed really as we cannot afford this.

We're all entitled to our view but out of interest, at what point over budget would those are are happily sitting back stand up and take notice?

Who is 'happily sitting back' though? I just find it strange people want to blame SC, we have so little verifiable information to make any sort of judgement on this to blame the guy who is paying for the whole thing and is actually finally getting us some development at BP (having tried and waited for in the region of 20 years) doesn't really seem well placed. I doubt there are any Oldham fans who are happy that this is costing more than we expected and indeed money we don't really have but this isn't uncommon and we don't know the cause and neither should we

Archived