North Stand Construction Thread

To be fair, IIRC the Broadway residents were not particularly opposed, it was certain other Cllrs and campaigners

I am happy to be corrected, but that is my recollection. And a very small number of objections.

They didn't mind the stand, just the chav orgy houses that were going to pay for it.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's safe to say the new stand will not look like those pretty pictures.

a cheaper uglier stand will be there but will do the same job.

If it had never been shown with glass, would anyone really be saying "shame the roof isn't glass"? Are there many stands which do use glass roof? This is on the north side of the ground, so it won't affect the grass.

And it looks like the sides will come further down the stand, which should help with weather protection, so that's a good thing.

If it had never been shown with glass, would anyone really be saying "shame the roof isn't glass"? Are there many stands which do use glass roof? This is on the north side of the ground, so it won't affect the grass.

And it looks like the sides will come further down the stand, which should help with weather protection, so that's a good thing.

Don't you know anything at all about Latics fans yet?

Any reason to moan...Regardless of what happens, there is always something to whinge about. When things were being put in place where the fans couldn't see it, everyone was moaning that nothing was being done. Now we can actually see some progression...it's wrong and not how it should be!

I can't wait for the club to tell us that the capacity is being reduced from 2500 down to 2499. Corney Out!

Has there been any info from the club about the width and leg room of the seats in the new stand yet?

I am 6'1, tall yes but not unusually so, and I struggle to get comfortable at either the Chaddy End or the RR End due to limited legroom and shoulder width. It would be a shame if we missed the opportunity to make attending BP a more enjoyable experience in this way. I am all for increasing ground capacity but realistically how often will we need the seat space that we could lose by reducing the number of seats in the new stand? Even in the Championship I wouldn't expect us get beyond 8,000 very often. Crazy being crammed in with all that unused space in the ground. I'm not asking for MK Dons style comfy theatre seats but bigger would be better for many I would imagine.

Has there been any info from the club about the width and leg room of the seats in the new stand yet?

I am 6'1, tall yes but not unusually so, and I struggle to get comfortable at either the Chaddy End or the RR End due to limited legroom and shoulder width. It would be a shame if we missed the opportunity to make attending BP a more enjoyable experience in this way. I am all for increasing ground capacity but realistically how often will we need the seat space that we could lose by reducing the number of seats in the new stand? Even in the Championship I wouldn't expect us get beyond 8,000 very often. Crazy being crammed in with all that unused space in the ground. I'm not asking for MK Dons style comfy theatre seats but bigger would be better for many I would imagine.

Yeah i agree, leg room is a major problem for me at BP, only the paddock is comfortable for me. I hope the leg room is decent in the new stand.

The Lookers was hardly pretty and it didn't last long. I can just about handle this stand being a soulless replica of every other new stand being built at the moment.

If they ripped down the Main Stand, however, and replaced it with one of these template stands then I'd be fuming.

Helpful and intelligent commentary o4u

Sorry. While it was spoken a little tongue in cheek I do agree with you.

I'm 6 foot tall but the chart in my doctor's surgery says I should be 6 foot 7 inches tall for my weight.

In recent years I've sat in the most awful seats at Old Trafford football ground and Peterborough amongst others and there's one particular row in the back half of the Chaddy End that is truly horrible. An Autumn flight to Phoenix in BA Economy was pretty horrible too.

The comparison to airlines is reasonable. The new stand will provide the first class / business class experience but there are many ordinary fans who would probably be willing to pay a few pounds extra for more width, leg room and even padding. I'd rather the new stand had a 10% smaller capacity and more comfortable seating. It might convince me to pay an extra £30 or so a season.

The Lookers was hardly pretty and it didn't last long. I can just about handle this stand being a soulless replica of every other new stand being built at the moment.

If they ripped down the Main Stand, however, and replaced it with one of these template stands then I'd be fuming.

What would you want from a new main stand?

It's worth noting that many of the stands built around the early years of the 20th century (including ours) would have been replicas of each others, much like modern stands are. They are old and built with less ubiquitous construction types now and so make us feel warm and fuzzy inside thanks to our nostalgic view of the past. However they are, to use a technical term, :censored: and unfit for purpose.

What would you want from a new main stand?

It's worth noting that many of the stands built around the early years of the 20th century (including ours) would have been replicas of each others, much like modern stands are. They are old and built with less ubiquitous construction types now and so make us feel warm and fuzzy inside thanks to our nostalgic view of the past. However they are, to use a technical term, :censored: and unfit for purpose.

I'd say there was more diversity in how stands were then than there is now. Or at least now there is very much a 'stock'/template stand.

The brick facade I'd hate to lose, same with the paddock section, and the benches up the stairs are pretty unique. We'd never have a two tiered stand built now either. Obviously there are many flaws to it but on a very general level I love the Main Stand.

I'm not saying the club will be able to keep it all, but if they knocked it down and built another stand that made BP look like an identical copy of Chesterfield or Shrewsbury or Colchester's stadium I'd hate it. Deepdale is an example of how modern stadiums should be: close to the pitch, steep with not much gaps in the corners of the stand - as is Rotherham's, but we're obviously not getting a whole new stadium at once. I'm not against new stands, just I like to retain the character and the 'intimacy' of old stadiums that have struggled to be replicated in many new grounds.

I'd say there was more diversity in how stands were then than there is now. Or at least now there is very much a 'stock'/template stand.

The brick facade I'd hate to lose, same with the paddock section, and the benches up the stairs are pretty unique. We'd never have a two tiered stand built now either. Obviously there are many flaws to it but on a very general level I love the Main Stand.

I'm not saying the club will be able to keep it all, but if they knocked it down and built another stand that made BP look like an identical copy of Chesterfield or Shrewsbury or Colchester's stadium I'd hate it. Deepdale is an example of how modern stadiums should be: close to the pitch, steep with not much gaps in the corners of the stand - as is Rotherham's, but we're obviously not getting a whole new stadium at once. I'm not against new stands, just I like to retain the character and the 'intimacy' of old stadiums that have struggled to be replicated in many new grounds.

If the main stand was going to be rebuilt, I'd guess the paddock/steps would stay as part of the design because ground level is at the top of the steps. If anything, given that the terracing runs along the whole length of the pitch, could they stay with just the top tier and offices needing rebuilding?

Obviously hypothetical at the moment, lets get the new stand finished first.

Archived