Praise from Bradford fans

I'm a Bradford fan, I was around in 1985, and I thought nothing of the fire drill chant. In fact, it's a shame it's even an issue.

It's just a variation of the age old "we can see you sneaking out" surely?

All much a-do about nothing.

Fair play to you mate, there was certainly no offence meant, we just worried that it was an unfortunate phrase to use.

Do you have the rainbow flag flying at every game btw? Was impressed with that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to you mate, there was certainly no offence meant, we just worried that it was an unfortunate phrase to use.

Do you have the rainbow flag flying at every game btw? Was impressed with that.

Yes, it's been there since the beginning of the season. It's quite funny actually, recently another team (I think possibly MK Dons?) were in the press for being the first club to fly the flag in support, we'd had it flying for months.

Yes, it's been there since the beginning of the season. It's quite funny actually, recently another team (I think possibly MK Dons?) were in the press for being the first club to fly the flag in support, we'd had it flying for months.

MK stealing someone else's idea and claiming it as their own? Never!

2731922694_dcd362f180_z.jpg?zz=1

Ive seen this a few times over the years and it always saddens me when I see the 3 Greenwood names. A dads quite clearly taken his 2 children to a game of football and theyve lost their lives. Must have been awful for their mother to receive the news.

At least we shouldnt see a disaster of this order take place anytime soon around the country at football, standards inside the grounds nowadays are much better.

I think people would realise more if it was publicised. You never hear the media say much like Hillsborough

Just on this. I heard the chant and as usual just turned a deaf ear and gave it the benefit of the doubt. There was nothing malicious from your fans all game so I put it down to pure ignorance of the subject. We have had incidents at Crewe and Rotherham where there was clear malice but didn't think the Oldham fans were acting that way. The reason the fire doesn't get the same publicity as Hillsborough is obviously because there has rightly been multiple inquiries into Hillsborough. The fire was a little different, the cause was quickly established and it allowed Bradford as a community to come together and mourn. I think that is why it doesn't appear as much on a national scale but in Bradford and Lincoln it will never be forgotten.

As for Saturday, I hope those that went on some of the tips I gave had a good day. I thought we were lucky to score twice to be honest and, as with the reverse fixture, you impressed again. A few extra players and some better defenders and you're not far away. I think a lot of our fans can appreciate a good atmosphere because we've had a top atmosphere at Valley Parade over the last two seasons but given our lads gave us literally nothing to shout about it was strange to be out-sung so kudos to your fans.

You should be safe now so here's to two more good atmospheres at the games next season.

Just on this. I heard the chant and as usual just turned a deaf ear and gave it the benefit of the doubt. There was nothing malicious from your fans all game so I put it down to pure ignorance of the subject. We have had incidents at Crewe and Rotherham where there was clear malice but didn't think the Oldham fans were acting that way. The reason the fire doesn't get the same publicity as Hillsborough is obviously because there has rightly been multiple inquiries into Hillsborough. The fire was a little different, the cause was quickly established and it allowed Bradford as a community to come together and mourn. I think that is why it doesn't appear as much on a national scale but in Bradford and Lincoln it will never be forgotten.

As for Saturday, I hope those that went on some of the tips I gave had a good day. I thought we were lucky to score twice to be honest and, as with the reverse fixture, you impressed again. A few extra players and some better defenders and you're not far away. I think a lot of our fans can appreciate a good atmosphere because we've had a top atmosphere at Valley Parade over the last two seasons but given our lads gave us literally nothing to shout about it was strange to be out-sung so kudos to your fans.

You should be safe now so here's to two more good atmospheres at the games next season.

We went to Kashmir for a curry (we'd been in the Ginger Goose celebrating). Disappointed to be honest - first trip to Bradford so was looking forward to a curry and it was very average (although I will acknowledge it was dirt cheap!). Think will have to pick better next time.

We nipped into a bar on the way back up Manningham Road after the game, can't remember what is was called but decent beers in there. That may be one for next time too, although I don't know whether it was home fans only (we weren't wearing colours).

I remember posting on this site pre-season about Bradfords support in the JPT a few seasons back.

They were, and remain, the most impressive support to arrive at BP in a good few years - doubly so given the state of their club at that time.

Good luck to them.

To echo what's been said previously, the video of the fire (and in particular the speed of its spreading) is terrifying, and the casualty list heartbreaking. As the current hearings about Hillsborough show - the scars of the succession of disasters in the mid 80's exist to this day.

We went to Kashmir for a curry (we'd been in the Ginger Goose celebrating). Disappointed to be honest - first trip to Bradford so was looking forward to a curry and it was very average (although I will acknowledge it was dirt cheap!). Think will have to pick better next time.

We nipped into a bar on the way back up Manningham Road after the game, can't remember what is was called but decent beers in there. That may be one for next time too, although I don't know whether it was home fans only (we weren't wearing colours).

If you had gone round the corner you would have seen Rawals, fantastic curry and dirt cheap, it wasn't licensed but I had enough beer inside me by then.

We drank the Bradford Arms dry, and the nearby (Polish) offy too. As someone who double parked at the right time- just before they sold out and was lucky with the time I got there, so I didn't have to queue for long at the bar when I wanted a drink I was probably more happy with the pub than others. Especially as I liked the fact that despite being busy they ID'd someone, it was also a short walk to the ground, and not a particularly long walk from the station. I was a bit disappointed with the fact that they advertised having Sky Sports but the early KO PL game wasn't on, that was until I realised that game was on BT.

The Bradford Fire video is one of the most horrific things I have ever watched. I can't watch it a second time.

The whole era just leaves me angry. Some many people lost their lives and for no good reason. How many disasters did we have to live through. I struggle with there concept that they where tragic accidents. Everyone knew the stadiums where largely a death trap but no on did anything about them. Even after Bradford not enough changed. I remember talking to my Dad about it at the time because I was asking him to take me to away games but he just said it wasn't safe. There is this impression that Bradford and Hillsborough woke people up to how dangerous it was but it just isn't the case. Everyone knew how bad it was and the Taylor report and inquests only goes to show that. Nobody cared because Football fans where viewed as subhuman by the Government, Police, Councils etc

I count myself very lucky not to have been caught up in any real issues back then. It also scares me when I see some lower league clubs and the state of some of those grounds still. I won't sit in a wood stands. I can't after watching that.

Edited by oafc0000

City Gent, Ginger Goose, City Vaults & Shoulder of Mutton (if you can stomach Sam Smith's) were all decent pre match.

The Star, Boy in the Barrell & the one opposite it were, errr, interesting too afterwards - think Shameless meets Band of Gold meets X Factor.

Looking forward to this trip next season - which means it will be on a Tuesday night

I looked on the Bradford forum earlier and they have ceased praising us and now want their manager sacked, ffs he took them to Wembley & promotion last year!

Our support was hardly worth a 7 page thread. Hate to think what it will be like when we're back up to the regular 3,000+ of yesteryear.

We play Colchester next week, is there anything I should be aware of? Occasionally people put their foot in it and cause offence. Self policing by our supporters resulted in any offence caused being minimised. Lets not get all self righteous and simply accept that sometimes mistakes happen.

We play Colchester next week, is there anything I should be aware of? Occasionally people put their foot in it and cause offence. Self policing by our supporters resulted in any offence caused being minimised. Lets not get all self righteous and simply accept that sometimes mistakes happen.

Who did?