Rumours and Transfers 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as above we are building our hopes up to much with Turner, he may turn out to be a great player but he hasn't played 90 minute's football yet so its hard to make an assumption when we haven't seen him.

Nobody is building their hopes up expecting him to bang in 20 odd goals next season BUT certain posters have said that they are happy to give him a really good go next season. If we are not willing to gamble with these youngsters then really what is the point signing them-we just cannot afford the finished product!

to be fair to Turner he has two good feet, pace, an eye for goal and is suprisingly good in the air, ive only ever seen him play once for stockport his cameo in our first team and the majority of his reserve outing, granted he is going to have to step up but im certain he has the ability to succeed at our level and could be a real find, on the downside he isnt the biggest and physically needs to fill out but for me is most likely to be the 20+ goal man out of the options we have, Id much rather he was able to develop in our 1st team than bring in a Stead type on loan which would stop our youngsters developing.

As a striker in this league you don't need to be technically gifted. You need a bit of speed (Turner) or a big strong physical threat which JCH needs to become. Look at players who were top scorers Ryan lowe Kevin Lisbie just physical threats. If JCH toughens up and does not go down easy then he will become a better player. With turner it's different he's unknown hopefully he uses his pace and gets on through balls . Let's see how pre season goes

TBF towards the end of the season JCH added this bit of steel to his game, the improvement from early season was marked. If Turner was to start alongside JCH it would mean him having to make a few less of the powerful runs and could make the difference between a 70 minute and 90 minute player.

I think it's a massive ask to view Philliskirk, JCH, Bove and Turner as a season long striker choice.

As i've posted earlier in this thread, make no bones about it - that's a weak and inexperienced front 4. Full of potential? Sure. But it'll be a mistake to not add at least 1 decent aged / decent experience striker to the side.

TBF towards the end of the season JCH added this bit of steel to his game, the improvement from early season was marked. If Turner was to start alongside JCH it would mean him having to make a few less of the powerful runs and could make the difference between a 70 minute and 90 minute player.

True but he's still a work in progress and over a season which is 46 league games and then a minimum of 3 more in the cups so likely over 50 games we are asking probably too much of the current forwards.

Another striker is what's needed and even then the likes of turner and bove will still get a chance over the course of the season even if it's a few cameos of the bench to begin with.

I would suggest that firstly we need a left back, a creative midfielder and 2 wingers.The latter 3, if good enough, will make our current forwards look a lot better.

I would rather have a good all round first 11 than a bench full of mediocrity, some on decent wages!

I would suggest that firstly we need a left back, a creative midfielder and 2 wingers.The latter 3, if good enough, will make our current forwards look a lot better.

I would rather have a good all round first 11 than a bench full of mediocrity, some on decent wages!

Too often was the case last season when we didn't have any quality to change the game from the bench and had to rely on the 11 players on the pitch. We need strength in depth, it's the only way we are going to progress.

Too often was the case last season when we didn't have any quality to change the game from the bench and had to rely on the 11 players on the pitch. We need strength in depth, it's the only way we are going to progress.

It cost Brentford £5m per annum to build that strength in depth and even then it took them 2 seasons-we have not got £10m.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

It cost Brentford £5m per annum to build that strength in depth and even then it took them 2 seasons-we have not got £10m.

Well done, comparing us to the team that finished runners up with one of the league's highest budgets has really made your point. I'm not saying we need £5m a year, just that we need players that can come off the bench and make an impact which, at the moment, we don't.

https://twitter.com/brownc02/status/472983113313026048 another tweet by Brown saying massive mistake 3 years ago anything oldham relating leaving sheffield united. I think as the days go by it's less likely he is going to sign

He certainly never gave the impression when he played last season that he was anything but enjoying being at Latics...and has a picture of himself in Oldham kit on his twitter page...and , as has been pointed out, he's been at Latics two years not three.

Maybe his "massive mistake" was something else?

Edited by LaticsPete

He certainly never gave the impression when he played last season that he was anything but enjoying being at Latics...and has a picture of himself in Oldham kit on his twitter page...and , as has been pointed out, he's been at Latics two years not three.

Maybe his "massive mistake" was something else?

Probably sticking up for Ched Evans.

You don't need to spend 5 million to put together a decent squad in this league, whether or not you can do it spending less year on year is another matter...

@BrownC02: Shoulda realised 3 years ago #massivemistake

Read into it what you will. I'm fairly sure it's two years since he joined Latics, so my take on it is that it isn't Oldham Athletic related. I could be wrong of course.

I'm assuming he will be at BP next season.