Who are our Legends, Greats & just Good Players?

Somebody just referred to Jose Baxter as a legend on Twitter.

The same happened when Robbie Simpson left and even Dean Furman.

The word seems to get bandied about willy nilly by our younger lot nowadays.

I'd describe Baxter as a "good player for us".

What he did by signing that contract made him stand out from what we've become used to from the modern day footballer. I loved watching him while he was here and looked forward to games more than I did before and about the same as I did when Tarkowski was in the form he was early this season.

His goals were vital but he wasn't here long enough to make "great player" and certainly not "legend".

The word "Legend" to me should be reserved for a small, select band of players (or managers, or mainstays at the club) who were head and shoulders above the majority for whatever reason.

Ritchie, Palmer, Royle, Sheridan, Barrett, Jobson, Redfearn & Eyres are legends to me.

I imagine some of you older lot would throw in the likes of Groves, Stainrod & Johnstone. Or were they just great players rather than bonafide legends?

Duxbury was a great player and a great servant.

Gregan was a great player but I wouldn't call him a legend.

Was Chris Taylor a great player or just a good player? As good as he was to watch at times, he never did anything overly important.

Would Tony Philliskirk be classed as a club great, as in great servant, rather than a legend or does the fact he's done everything at the club over such a long period push him into club legend territory?

Edited by HarryBosch

Could you class Ernie Cooksey as a legend without him being a particularly good or great player in the scheme of things? - the cult hero status he had when he was here, the way his illness and death brought fans together and the way the memories of him, his name, and flag, have lived on?

I'd add Rick Holden as a legend too......... Interestingly though I wouldn't describe Denis Irwin as one even though in terms of honours won (albeit not with us) he was the best of the lot. Denis was just someone who went out and did his job with no fuss, so I think personality comes into earning legend status as well.

what makes David Eyres a legend and Lee Duxbury not?

Dux was club captain who became coach and served longer.

everyone seems to think Eyres is a legend but Dux rarely gets a mention. Neither won anything with us did they?

everyone seems to think Eyres is a legend but Dux rarely gets a mention. Neither won anything with us did they?

Suppose so - vital goals, regular captain's performances in the truest sense.....

In he goes :grin:

An enigma for me was Mickey Quinn. All set to be a legend for the club in my opinion with 34 goals in 80 games and many years in front of him then - bang, sold and hardly a protest or even mentioned in dispatches. Better than Stainrod or even roger 'the dodger' wylde but both of them get called legends.

So is Mickey Quinn a legend? - no maybe not, but he deserves to be remembered more fondly than he is.

To the younger generation the cup runs last season was probably their highest point of their Latics supporting lives. It's fair to say that Baxter played a part in that

by that reasoning Matt Smith is far more of a legend then.

Somebody just referred to Jose Baxter as a legend on Twitter.

The same happened when Robbie Simpson left and even Dean Furman.

The word seems to get bandied about willy nilly by our younger lot nowadays.

I'd describe Baxter as a "good player for us".

What he did by signing that contract made him stand out from what we've become used to from the modern day footballer. I loved watching him while he was here and looked forward to games more than I did before and about the same as I did when Tarkowski was in the form he was early this season.

His goals were vital but he wasn't here long enough to make "great player" and certainly not "legend".

The word "Legend" to me should be reserved for a small, select band of players (or managers, or mainstays at the club) who were head and shoulders above the majority for whatever reason.

Ritchie, Palmer, Royle, Sheridan, Barrett, Jobson, Redfearn & Eyres are legends to me.

I imagine some of you older lot would throw in the likes of Groves, Stainrod & Johnstone. Or were they just great players rather than bonafide legends?

Duxbury was a great player and a great servant.

Gregan was a great player but I wouldn't call him a legend.

Was Chris Taylor a great player or just a good player? As good as he was to watch at times, he never did anything overly important.

Would Tony Philliskirk be classed as a club great, as in great servant, rather than a legend or does the fact he's done everything at the club over such a long period push him into club legend territory?

I agree with your list (plus Groves, Stainrod etc). I'd add Andy Goram, Holden, Milligan-Henry (can't have one with out the other) and Ian Wood.

All about opinion.

Gary McDonald scored a legendary goal, but he wasn't great. I don't think legendism goes in hand with greatness. I'd count players like Pogs, Cooksey, Vernon and Eyres as legends.

But they aren't all great players like Palmer, Ritchie, Bunn, Halle, Abbott, Holden and Gregan.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Gary McDonald scored a legendary goal, but he wasn't great. I don't think legendism goes in hand with greatness. I'd count players like Pogs, Cooksey, Vernon and Eyres as legends.

But they aren't all great players like Palmer, Ritchie, Bunn, Halle, Abbott, Holden and Gregan.

Was racking my brains then thinking 'Abbot ? eh...can't remember him...am I getting Alzheimer's? '....then I looked at your sig....

Dux is up there but you've hit the nail on the head as people need to be reminded of his importance whereas you don't with Eyresy who was known for his flair, creativity, assists and many of his goals were spectacular, not too mention he was the oldest player of his time.

But what makes a legend?

Is it just staying at the club a few years?

Being the best player at that time according to some?

Eyre's won nothing, players have played at the club longer. I bet Chris Taylor was at the club longer. Is it being a flair player like Baxter because they are easier to remember?

Why exactly do people consider Dave Eyres a legend?

IMO he isn't, he was a good servant.

Chris Taylor played nearly 70+ more games than David Eyres for Oldham.

One came through our youth, was born in Oldham and is an Oldham fan. Played more games and won just as many trophys.

What defines a legend? Being a fan favourite?

But what is "great"? Are we talking world class such as Messi, Beckham, Moore, Eusebio?

If do I'd agree but having seen bobby Johnstone and others of clear international class then I feel proud of them appearing in a Latics shirt.

Just for my benefit, you are fishing with having Beckham in there right?