LJ first full season review - marks out of 10

So LJ has had his first full season as a manager. How have you rated his performance, as opposed to the team, out of ten.

1 point - he should have been sacked midway through the season, cant believe he is still our manager.

2 points - he should be sacked now that the season is over

3 points - you would not be upset if he was replaced by another manager

4 points - you think he did poorly but we may as well stick by him

5 points - He did alright for a new manager but if he does not improve midway through next season he should go

6 points - He did well given it was his first season and you expect better next season

7 points - LJ did as good as anyone can given the budget and the team (or lack of) that he inherited

8 points - LJ did a very good job and you are confident he will even better next season

9 points - He did a fantastic job and you expect by next season he will become a highly regarded manager by all

10 points - LJ did an amazing job he will be poached by a championship or premiership team at any moment

For mine I would give him a 7/10 - To build a team from near scratch and also have to sell your two best players given the budget constraints I don't think too many other managers would have succeeded as well as he has.

But I don't think we will loose him to another club during the off season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over promised and under-delivered. But shows some potential.

I think he was hit hard with the Montaño situation, was struggling before Tommy Wright came in, was sometimes a bit too public making an honest criticism of an individual player and having a dig at the ball boys was poor. Mixed transfer activity when you compare the extremes of Harkins and Dunfield. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on Baxter but, while understanding the financials, he should surely have been able to accommodate such a talent effectively.

On the positive side I can see a manager who looks to add value to a player, Tarky, Brown and Wes are examples of players who have improved significantly. I'd add Oxley to that list too. Getting Korey on a free will prove profitable in the summer when another undisclosed fee hits the coffers. He's shown he can make tactical changes within games and can also change the style of play mid-season. The only time I felt we were in terminal decline was after Crewe and he turned that round. He communicates well with supporters and gives the impression of being here for the long haul.

Progress, albeit modest, is not to be sniffed at.

5/6 (probably seems low but going off the descriptions, they best sum it up for me). Wouldn't want to be in another relegation fight come Christmas but he definitely deserves another crack. Can't see any reason why he'd be on any other clubs' radar, particularly with the comp they'd have to pay for the 8 year contract.

6. We have progressed, not much - but we have. He has made some mistakes, often clear ones, but has shown himself to be adaptable, willing to learn and willing to gamble at times. A manager who is willling to do those things always has a fighting chance.

It was obvious we and he needed a pick me up / a fresh perspective and he brought in Tommy Wright. That is part of good management, that was a key and successful signing, one Im giving LJ a lot of credit for. It would have been easy to say "I dont need the help or advice"

I haven't always been impressed with his critism of players, the ballboy incident was petty.

Overall, progress. Not as much as some expected, but similar to what I did (I predicted 15th)

Season of parts - exciting start and optimism, off the rails in the middle , and good solid finish.

I think each represents a new manager in his first season . Starts with being an unknown and with a group of players he inspires , gets knocked off track by tactics being sussed, off the field malarkey, injuries etc, but, and this is the big plus for me, rethinks and gets things firing again.

I've got confidence in him to be flexible in the future, adapt to changing circumstances, and to be quite an inspiration to players and supporters.

At his secondary school he tried to cram in too much information in a short space of time, but settled down once a new tutor joined the class late term.

A bright lad who shows potential to improve, he may eventually move on to higher education.

6.5/10.

Edited by BP1960

I dunno, about a 5. Although, I'm not really inclined to say anything as to if and when he should be sacked because Corney would just replace him with yet another cheap option.

The last quarter of the season saved us, no question. Had our previous form continued, we'd have been looking forward to League 2 next season. Our final league position is a small improvement. Whether it really represents progress, I have my doubts. We've been hard to beat in the last ten games without being all that impressive and Johnson needs to be bolder in his approach to home games if he doesn't want to have one eye on the relegation zone towards the end of next season.

I dunno, about a 5. Although, I'm not really inclined to say anything as to if and when he should be sacked because Corney would just replace him with yet another cheap option.

The last quarter of the season saved us, no question. Had our previous form continued, we'd have been looking forward to League 2 next season. Our final league position is a small improvement. Whether it really represents progress, I have my doubts. We've been hard to beat in the last ten games without being all that impressive and Johnson needs to be bolder in his approach to home games if he doesn't want to have one eye on the relegation zone towards the end of next season.

I keep seeing this about his home approach posted. In my view, and i may be totally off the mark, it could be just a case of making use of what you've got for the last portion of the season. Make us hard to beat, both at home and away and just get the required points to survive.

If i am wrong, then I agree that playing that kind of football at home next season will cost us. Playing JCH in a lone striker role will also cost us, but this probably falls into the best of what we currently have, with MacDonald as back-up.

In terms of this season, i'd give LJ a 6. Looking forward to what he may have in store for us next season.

He's learned from a fair few mistakes and isn't afraid or uncomfortable to adapt which is a great positive for the future, but relegation form and poor performances in the 1st 15 games of next season will not be acceptable and will put him under real pressure.

Hopefully he won't choose to make (or be forced to make) wholesale changes in the summer.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

8 - maybe this is because I frequent more away games than home (sorry but can't help but react to people moaning within the first 5 mins of a game at their own players which kinda rules out visiting BP) I think LJ has done an excellent job given the constraints he has had to work under.

1. Had to deal with the loss of Baxter and Tarky

2. Had the foresight to change his principles from what we saw at Stevenage to making us hard to beat given what he had to work with

3. Improved Connor Brown (hold my hands up there), signed Wilson, Locky, Smith, JCH and whilst we would like to have seen more from some players the only long term signings that have failed have been Rodgers...Dunfield et al are short time gambles IMO

4. Engaged with the fans more than any other manager despite the best efforts of Barry

5. Don't think he ever actually promised the fans anything other than improvement.....more points and higher league position than last season classes as an improvement

I for one am very excited about next season so much so I'm working some sponsorship into my business budget for this year as long as Broady gets back in touch sooner rather than later! This obviously means that I will be going to more home games again but let's just say I hope the windows slide open ;-)

Mainly somewhere between 6 and 7, but with elements of 5 thrown in. He needs to be about where we have finished this season, at Christmas next season for me. Although that depends on the quality of the teams going up, coming up and going down, this league looks to be a bit worse next season, and depending on our player movement we could take advantage of that.

This season he did well, although his transfer policy needs work. A number of his long-term deals have fallen by the wayside, costing us money in the process, then his short-term deals have been successful, but we haven't been able to fully capitalise on them due to their short-term nature. That may not fully be down to him but for example you have to wonder when he started talking to Lanzoni about staying. Signing Lockwood and Wilson have been very shrewd moves, we have been much improved with them in the side, and we have been able to extend their deals.

The Montano situation obviously affected him, and he is blameless for that, especially as Montano was a Dickov signing. His handling of JCH, perhaps the equivalent from his signings, I have liked though, as I have liked his willingness to give talented players contract extensions long before their contract runs out.

The more recent and effective change in the style of play has shown he is adaptable, but like BP1960 I wonder how quickly some teams will work it out and therefore cause us problems at home.

Do I think on our budget another manager would do better, yes, but those that would are not within our budget, some might do as well though. The mood between now and the start of next season is going to remain fairly upbeat, as even with the inevitable loss of players we want to keep, the new stand is progressing nicely and whilst there are rumours that it won't be ready in time for the start of next season I doubt if that is the case it won't be too long before it is ready. Johnson needs to build on that both with his player retention and signing of new players.

I keep seeing this about his home approach posted. In my view, and i may be totally off the mark, it could be just a case of making use of what you've got for the last portion of the season. Make us hard to beat, both at home and away and just get the required points to survive.

If i am wrong, then I agree that playing that kind of football at home next season will cost us. Playing JCH in a lone striker role will also cost us, but this probably falls into the best of what we currently have, with MacDonald as back-up.

In terms of this season, i'd give LJ a 6. Looking forward to what he may have in store for us next season.

This

we have been hard to beat and great credit to the players and staff for that, I cant help feel that during that ten games weve sacrificed 3 points in case we suffered defeat and have been happy with a point crewe coventry and notts county spring to mind, we shouldnt be afraid to lose and a little more adventure at home wouldnt do any harm, for me the most important thing for the club to do now is give the manager a team and let him work with it continuity without the big budget is imperative as our recent run has demonstrated. Everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction lets hope we can be sniffing around the playoffs next May 7/10.

Looking at the stats...

Home

Won 7

Draw 8

Lost 8

Away

Won 7

Draw 6

Lost 10

So, away record slightly worse, we need to be winning 12+ at least at home though to be challenging for anything.

In terms of goals...

Home

Goals for - 23

Goals Against - 28

Away

Goals for - 27

Goals Against - 31

So, whilst we haven't seemingly conceded THAT many goals, the crucial last minute equalisers/defeats are what really killed us. Crewe away comes to mind straight away. Not being able to hold on to 1-0 leads at home, or increase on them has also significantly cost us.

Looking at the teams who beat us at home is another indication of where we need to improve.

Walsall, Tranmere, Colchester, Shrewsbury, Wolves, MK Dons, Preston, Rotherham...

Whilst defeats against teams in the top 6 I can take, presumably as they're the best teams in the league, it's the smaller teams that we have to be beating. Something which I'm sure has been looked at and assessed by LJ and Tommy Wright and something that I expect will be, if not already has been rectified by the management team.

Our ten game unbeaten run has given us some hope for the new season. A solid defence and midfield with a striker up top who knows where the net is, and can teach JCH to acquire the same trait and we can be pushing on to the top half of the table next season.

Importantly, expectations should be kept grounded this time around, no talk of the play-offs until we know what we can do, only then should we dare to dream of getting to the play-off's. I fully expect that there will be improvement next season and expect us to finish a lot more comfortably than we have for the last 4. Providing the investment in the squad is there, then I see no reason why we should be in another relegation dog-fight.

There are exciting times to come at Boundary Park (The Sports Direct Stadium) I feel...