LJ first full season review - marks out of 10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These extra points would have had us in the play-offs.

Peterborough away (1)

Tranmere home (3)

Preston away (3)

Rotherham away (1)

Crewe home (2)

Bristol City away (2)

Brentford away (1)

MK Dons away (1)

Tranmere away (2)

Crewe away (2)

All games where we were worthy of a little more than we ended up with.

Edited by opinions4u

These extra points would have had us in the play-offs.

Peterborough away (1)

Tranmere home (3)

Preston away (3)

Rotherham away (1)

Crewe home (2)

Bristol City away (2)

Brentford away (1)

MK Dons away (1)

Tranmere away (2)

Crewe away (2)

All games where we were worthy of a little more than we ended up with.

Fair point..... but its also worth balancing that by saying there have been games (particularly recently if you look at it statistically) where we have stolen points.

In both the Carlisle and Colchester games we scored and won games with our only shots on target!

That said, a solid 7 for me. He has established a base and platform to progress into next season from. That is huge progress in itself.

Edited by whitey1980

All sides concede late goals. I don't know where we stand compared to others but it's an odd argument to say we just need to cut them out. It will always happen.

The killer this year has, as said above, home points dropped to the sides who finished below us. We beat only two of the 9 of them.

Our home form v bottom half has us in 19th place, but that will include the other teams just above us too, incidentally we beat Gillingham, Carlisle and. Stevenage of the teams below us, and lost 3 games and drew the other 3, 2 of which were in our recent run. We need to vastly improve our home form against the teams below and just above us for next season, to progress. Half the teams that beat us at home finished in the bottom half, that won't be acceptable for next season if we are to progress, unless we lose less than 4 games at home.

I dunno, about a 5. Although, I'm not really inclined to say anything as to if and when he should be sacked because Corney would just replace him with yet another cheap option.

The last quarter of the season saved us, no question. Had our previous form continued, we'd have been looking forward to League 2 next season. Our final league position is a small improvement. Whether it really represents progress, I have my doubts. We've been hard to beat in the last ten games without being all that impressive and Johnson needs to be bolder in his approach to home games if he doesn't want to have one eye on the relegation zone towards the end of next season.

This - with a 5.5 for the season.

7. How many new managers get their team on a an unbeaten ten-match run?

A team could go all season unbeaten and be relegated!

6 for me. Go back to the way we played at the beginning of the season, with players who can finish the chances created.

Looking at the stats...

Home

Won 7

Draw 8

Lost 8

Away

Won 7

Draw 6

Lost 10

So, away record slightly worse, we need to be winning 12+ at least at home though to be challenging for anything.

In terms of goals...

Home

Goals for - 23

Goals Against - 28

Away

Goals for - 27

Goals Against - 31

That home record is shocking. 8 home defeats in this terrible division is awful so we really need to improve the home form next season.

6/10 for me

Edited by dave_ragg1984

we managed 5 in 45 mins against posh and 18 in the other 2025 minutes work that out !!!

Taking away that unbelievable 2nd half performance we scored a goal on average every 1 hour and 52 minutes at home in the league this season that is shocking.

Felt he was looking to be too cute/clever in pre season and the first half of the season, letting Croft go was an error IMO, messing about with Mellor, the Baxter nonsense, trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the likes of MacDonald/Rodgers/Schmeltz, constant tinkering with the team, the lineup and tactics vs Wolves away.

Some people don't like it when you pull stats apart but take out the Peterborough and Port Vale games and it's 15 goals from the other 21 home games, that ain't good.

On the flip side he deserves his share of the credit for the improvement seen with Brown, Tarkowski and Wesolowski, at times we played some of the best football we've seen from an Oldham team for a while and 7 away wins and 13 points gained from losing positions is decent.

I do think, even though it took until March and the changes in the formation and style of play for results to turn around, that he seems to be getting the hang of things, the January signings and changing the goalkeeper were key to that IMO, we were in desperate need of the experience and nouse that they provided.

He's still a bit too much style over substance at times for me, would like to see him putting most of his efforts into getting the first team right rather than worrying about the other stuff, hopefully he can be given some better tools to work with to try and get us looking at the other half of the table.

Compared to what we probably have as an alternative we're probably in the best position with him in charge. The aim this season was to progress on where we ended up last season and although he has done that it has probably been more gradual than expected. On the plus side, we've managed to grind out results when we've been up against it, I know people will look to the Peterborough game but that was a freak game I think Swindon at home and Shrewsbury away (League game) were the best examples of how we've progressed. That said at times we didn't build on these results and I don't believe we should have been relegation candidates by March. But he appears to have learnt from mistakes made and I think by appointing an experienced right hand man in Tommy Wright and sticking to a consistant team he's made us a better side than what we were a year ago. The test now is to see which players we can keep hold of and who we can bring in, I hope by August we have a side with a strong backbone of players contracted to the club.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Ahhhhh. A few people should probably remove some defeats from their scoring system too, on that basis.

leaving it in still gives us only 23 goals for at home with shrewsbury and walsall only fairing worse like it or not historically any team with any chance of making at least the playoffs needs another dozen points and goals from their home matches this for me is LJs biggest challenge.

Edited by yarddog73

Ahhhhh. A few people should probably remove some defeats from their scoring system too, on that basis.

Hmm, if you were doing a statistical analysis, you would often remove extremes if they are anomalies. Wolves at home we lost 3-0. You could lose that I suppose.

Still doesn't make it look that great.

Between 6 and 7.

Positives = Lots of promise, progression from the last 2 regimes, some hope for next season (contracts. form, stand etc), Cup run.

Negatives = Not the best football at times, some bad results, got far too close to relegation, Ellis Plummer.

Lots to build on.

I give LJ 7. I can't judge him against an unknown alternative, using unknown tactics, with unnamed players. He gets the 7 for not being afraid to change things and a promising first season.

He has attempted a entertaining passing game without too much end product or points. He has tried a defensive, holding game with little in the way of free flowing football but more points. I expect him to find a happy medium with the introduction of new players next time round.

The stats for the times goals are scored clearly show the last 10min are the most common as an industry average - it's not just us that concede them. But, when you break them down into 10min slots the last 10min don't include added time. So the official last 10min could be (as we all know) up to 15or16min. Last minute goals (if vital) are the most exciting/depressing of all and I like to think we get our fair share of both, but maybe not every season.

Hmm, if you were doing a statistical analysis, you would often remove extremes if they are anomalies. Wolves at home we lost 3-0. You could lose that I suppose.

Still doesn't make it look that great.

Yup - a statistical approach would drop the outliers like the Peterborough game and give a more balanced view of the season.

We also reserved some of our better performances for the cup competitions.

He over promised which was stupid considering he had little experience. I don't think it should be held against him though as he had little experience.

Upto a few months ago, I was unhappy with how it was going, but he gets bonus points for having a plan b and a plan b that worked, making the team hard to beat and getting us on a 10 match unbeaten run.

The question is whether he can build on that. It would be nice to build some stability in the club, even though there are players available, I think we will start from a stronger position next season if the players know each other. We need to score another 20 to 25 goals next year.

For a manager to be big enough to completely change how he wanted his team to play within the season and, moreso, for that to be successful in his first full season is quite remarkable.

If he can do the same with the strikers next season we'll be flying.