players spotted away from football

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a piss next to Will Haining in the Grey Mare after the Blackpool home playoff game. I understand why he has a page 3 model wife.

Remember spotting Haining in the toilets at Nemesis, possibly around 99/00..? Pretty sure he was youth team on verge of breaking thru. He was smashed and tried to deny who he was.....

Used to deliver papers to Mr Butterworth (ex Director of OAFC back in the day) lovely man, used to give me tickets to games and helped us jump the queue to buy tickets in those halcyon days when people would queue all the way up sheepfoot lane......I felt like a special one!

Used to play Tennis with Marshy up on High Crompton Park (or was that wtach him play and offer to be ballboy....)

My mums sister is now married to Andy Barlow's Dad (tenuous link)

(None football related) Saw Shaun Murphy drinking in the Summit Royton the other day......some oaf drunkenly starting asking what the hell he was doing in there to which he replied that his mum and dad live in Shaw....Useless fact but it will come up in a Quiz one day

That would be his step Dad as his Dad moved down south....I used to work with his Dad (Tony) at a Volvo dealership in Heyside.

I didn't realise Shaun was his son until I saw him interviewed after he'd won the World title...small world.

I worked in cala d'or and drove past andy Barlow, I got so excited because outside oldham you rarely see a Latics shirt never mind one of your all time favourite players so I wound down the window and started chanting "andy, andy Barlow" he was probably as shocked as I was that someone recognised him after his playing days!

In the mid 80s whilst at school my school raised the largest amount of money for a charity and as a result we were chosen to caddy at a celebrity golf day, all the stars of that era and previous eras were there on the day I was lucky enough to be caddy for Gordon Banks a true gent, at the end of the round all the stars tipped us (other than a flash Bryan Robson) and I was treated to £50 which was a lot of money I nicer man you will struggle to meet and a true football great.

I must be blessed.

1977. I was with friends and family at the Lavante Park hotel in Calla Bona, Majorca when Steve Whitworth (Leicester and England full back) walked past our table.

1979. I was cycling with my kids one morning in Calla Millor, Majorca. We passed a roadside bar with a slightly raised balcony and a lone customer sat at a table with a San Miguel. It was Brian Clough, the Oldham Wakes after he had just won the European Cup with Forest. He was watching the world go by – which, for a few seconds was me and my daughters. I nonchalantly raised the palm of my right hand in acknowledgement, he returned it likewise. Knowing Clough’s reputation, I appreciated he didn’t blank me.

1984. I was with family at a caravan park in Cornwall. We were with friends in the social club one evening when Maurice Whittle, along with his family, came in and sat at the next table. Manna from heaven! Was the goal he scored at York in 1974 mentioned? You bet! He was very down to earth.

1986. I passed Chris Waddle on the top deck of a cross channel Ferry.

2007. I was helping out at my daughter and son-in-laws business when Ernie Cooksey walked in. He was smiling and very friendly, even though he was not well at the time. Less than 12months later he was dead. A very nice man and a tragic loss to his family.

1991. Going off piste, my wife and I followed Barbara Windsor and Leslie Crowther off a British Airways flight. We were directly behind them as they dragged their dolly trollies behind them. They were top note, ‘actors’ voices and attracting attention from anyone within fifty paces. We were not impressed.

Went to a conference in Loughborough in 2011 where the England RL squad were sharing the same facilities. Then spotted Martin Johnson walking down the corridor as it turns out England RU Coaches were also having a conference. A helicopter arrived, jokes made about Sir Clive Woodward.... 20 mins later he was at the bar.

2010 had a meal at Opus One on Xmas day. Sir Sean Gregan was too.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Just got on a train with Chris Martin of Derby. We're not travelling together, obviously. He's with who I assume to be his wife/girlfriend, though she seems to be a little on the, err, mature side.

Was once in the queue at Selfridges and thought there was a hot lesbian couple in front of me in the queue. Turns out it was Robbie Savage and his missus. Still would...

I once saw him and his wife in Selfridge's (Trafford Centre) too - arguing.

Saw Frank Worthington going in once aswell.