Hibernation

First Saturday after season end. Glancing at the paper and it's depressing no football today and having to face the prospect of shopping, DIY etc for the next 9 weeks or so.

We've got the World Cup and the usual excitement of England followed by failure and depression but for me it doesn't contend to OAFC in the league.

Roll on pre-season games and some confirmed new players rather than the will we, won't we for the next few months!!!

Plenty of cricket for me. I like the breaks, they are usually welcome otherwise I'd just get sick of non-stop football. That said, I'm fair more excited for the world up than the start of the season in August right now and its not for England specifically, any moron would be able to appreciate getting out of the group would be a good return.

Just about cope with a T20 or ODI but generally cricket leaves me cold and I would rather be forced to the wife's Saturday night telly than a test match. Honestly can't see how many CCCs survive.

If I'm honest, I get impression most of the sports TV channels and radio stations probably think the same and it's the anti-football 'elite' that try and pitch cricket as much as they can once May arrives. On SSN it's a piece on cricket with a air of 'meh' and then ooooh some football transfer gossip coming up. Jim Whites in first gear or probably on a 8-week long siesta.

Some things to get depressed about:

1. England's world cup fiasco (three defeats, one goal) puts wind in the sails of Dyke's ship of fools.

2. The England cricket management hierarchy explains the team's failure to win a single game as no more than a symptom of "transition". All objectives are fulfilled and everyone gets five stars, but the team are nevertheless spanked by all-comers.

3. UKIP clean up in the European elections, taking votes from Labour in meaningful numbers for the first time. Strictly Come Dancing is won by the contestants with the best goose-step.

4. The construction of the new stand is delayed by the unbearable heat Oldham endures from June to September. Cracked concrete, melted girders, the lot.

Plenty of cricket for me. I like the breaks, they are usually welcome otherwise I'd just get sick of non-stop football. That said, I'm fair more excited for the world up than the start of the season in August right now and its not for England specifically, any moron would be able to appreciate getting out of the group would be a good return.

Same here time to switch off from football for the summer do other things the break does me good.

Except logging on here to read threads about how Scott Vernon could still do a job for us.

Some things to get depressed about:

3. UKIP clean up in the European elections, taking votes from Labour in meaningful numbers for the first time. Strictly Come Dancing is won by the contestants with the best goose-step.

What's depressing about that? Even better if they do it next year as well.

Those of you who have the luxury of boredom should be grateful, some of us have got two months of cardboard-box-and-estate-agent-fuelled hell to look forward to.

Delighted that I'll have moved to north manchester/Oldham in time for Alan Pardew being in town, though.