James Wesolowski

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a player that won player of the year. Well liked at the club. He decides to drop down a division because we wouldn't match terms that Shrews offer.

We then have to go out and actively search and possibly pay for another player to replace him. We don't know if the new player will fit into the team, (or dressing room). Just because a player has done well at another club doesn't mean he'll be a success here. Recent examples being Rooney, Feeney, etc etc......

In my opinion, this is just a poor poor decision. Just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass when we can't find a replacement and Winchester is getting battered all over the park........

Our club is starting to become a really unfunny joke.

Or is it becoming better managed with realistic wages?

Oh, controversial.

just out of curiosity chaddysmoker or palmer1 do you think smith justifies his lofty wages, for most of last season he was on the missing list for me and struggled badly just after xmas for a couple of months, isnt he too easily replaceable ?

So you mean Smith who according to another thread on here 'most would agree being our best player' also being easily replaceable? No!

But decent offers from other clubs might make my opinion irrelevant-but those offers will not be from 4th division clubs will they? Ask yourself why?

If a replacement has been lined up then fair do' and it makes all of this moot.

And if we get rid of our top earners every single year and replace them with cheaper then we will end up with a full team earning peanuts. And if u pay peanuts, you get monkeys. And to misquote Alan Hansen, you won't win anything with monkeys.

Unless it is a "Who has the most monkeys" competition.

You didn't think that through now did you? DID YOU??>!?!?!?!??!!/

I was far more upset about the loss of Croft and Baxter simply because they had the type of quality that is hard for lower league teams to attract.

Wes is a really good grafter, a journeyman. I'd prefer to get a good grafter on a modest wage and spend the bigger money on someone who can bring a bit of quality.

I also really don't blame him. You've got what you can while you can.

Can we offer Kirk Miller a contract and make player of the season....

If I was LJ or SC then I would be offering reduced terms to those who played last season.

We have a limited budget and need to bring in better quality players. We improved last season on the season before but there was potential to do better. If we can sign Wesolowski & Rachubka on less and free up funds to further strengthen then we take the gamble. If they were the best out there then we would obviously fight to keep them within reason of them wishing to remain with us on a fair wage - speaks volumes that we didn't fight too much on Wesolowski.

If a few hundred quid a week could be saved to spend on and secure the likes of Leon Clarke then bye bye Wes, don't hit your arse on the door on the way out.

So we can't afford to keep the average players we have but we'll be able to afford better players for less money than the average ones were earning?

Even by your happy clapper standards that's bizarre.

So you mean Smith who according to another thread on here 'most would agree being our best player' also being easily replaceable? No!

But decent offers from other clubs might make my opinion irrelevant-but those offers will not be from 4th division clubs will they? Ask yourself why?

If Bury/Portsmouth/Shrewsbury came in with a 200k bid for your beloved Korey you don't think he would be sold/would want to go?

And give us your 10 realistic targets that we can sign for the easily replaceable Wesolowski, would like to hear them.

If Bury/Portsmouth/Shrewsbury came in with a 200k bid for your beloved Korey you don't think he would be sold/would want to go?

And give us your 10 realistic targets that we can sign for the easily replaceable Wesolowski, would like to hear them.

Here's one - initially on loan, and yes I have seen him play so would recommend him;

http://fulham.wikia.com/wiki/Solomon_Sambou

Edited by BP1960

just out of curiosity chaddysmoker or palmer1 do you think smith justifies his lofty wages, for most of last season he was on the missing list for me and struggled badly just after xmas for a couple of months, isnt he too easily replaceable ?

I don't know what he earns for starters but the best player generally earns the most.

I don't think he went missing at any time but I think he did struggle with a knee injury after Xmas which most tend to ignore in the Wes Smith debate.

Is he replaceable? Of course he is and we will have to replace him when he moves up a level for a fee sooner rather than later. Can we buy the same quality for smaller fee? You never know we got lucky with Baxter and then Smith, hopefully!

Who will be easier to replace Smith or Wes? I think we all know the answer to that one.....

It amazes me the amount of Oldham fans would rather have a grafter over a proper footballer for want of a better term. Again I mention it but one went to league 2 and the other is heading upwards and not just because he works hard.....hopefully this season with us.

Edited by palmer1

I don't know what he earns for starters but the best player generally earns the most.

I don't think he went missing at any time but I think he did struggle with a knee injury after Xmas which most tend to ignore in the Wes Smith debate.

Is he replaceable? Of course he is and we will have to replace him when he moves up a level for a fee sooner rather than later. Can we buy the same quality for smaller fee? You never know we got lucky with Baxter and then Smith, hopefully!

Who will be easier to replace Smith or Wes? I think we all know the answer to that one.....

It amazes me the amount of Oldham fans would rather have a grafter over a proper footballer for want of a better term. Again I mention it but one went to league 2 and the other is heading upwards and not just because he works hard.....hopefully this season with us.

What does he do this Smith? Cos he doesn't score goals, doesn't create them, doesn't prevent them?

And what better team he is destined to join? Why didn't they sign him last summer? Is he a better player than he was 12 months ago?

Only one player in our midfield kept the team ticking and moving last season and it wasn't Wes who worked hard and had a good season his first in 3 by the way. If you can't see the difference between the 2 and you obviously can't then there no point to this.

We turned down offers for Smith in January as mentioned by LJ but I expect you to disbelieve that as it suits your argument and I don't know who from but it won't be :censored:in Shrewsbury that's for sure!

Edited by palmer1

Despite the high standards set on this board over the years the constant negative tripe you dish out just about tops the lot

How so?

I said Wes hasd a good season but Smith is better which 90 percent of this board must agree with.

I base my comments on Wes over 3 or 4 season and Smiths over 1 and a half

The only player I have issues with is Connor Brown who in my opinion is not good enough based over 2 seasons.I think most are aware of that by now

I don't post based off one off performances but these are my opinions. Thanks for yours, I disagree with it.

If he has returned I bet he's grinning.

Haha, I did say that Roger Ritchie, it's just that none of you lot chose to believe me! And yes. Yes I am O4U... Much similar to some Oldham fans when I first suggested the rumour! But hey, at least your PlayerShare is £60 better off!?

Edited by Salopian

Oh you really dont like being wrong do you? Even when there is prima facie evidence as presented yesterday. Presenting a hypothetical situation will never convince in any argument but at least I will give you credit in not joining this new trend over the previous 24 hours of now deciding that Wes wasnt that good!

Some of us always realised that and you have never liked anything being said that contravenes your opinion of our 'best player' (I quote!)

We dont need to sign a replacement-we already have one, K Smith who would be even better in a more advanced position.

If you now want me to find 10 players who can then play in a defensive midfield position, well sorry life is too short! Just admit that you might be wrong!

When you are in a hole, stop digging!

How so?

I said Wes hasd a good season but Smith is better which 90 percent of this board must agree with.

I base my comments on Wes over 3 or 4 season and Smiths over 1 and a half

The only player I have issues with is Connor Brown who in my opinion is not good enough based over 2 seasons.I think most are aware of that by now

I don't post based off one off performances but these are my opinions. Thanks for yours, I disagree with it.

Only one player in our midfield kept the team ticking and moving last season and it wasn't Wes who worked hard and had a good season his first in 3 by the way. If you can't see the difference between the 2 and you obviously can't then there no point to this.

We turned down offers for Smith in January as mentioned by LJ but I expect you to disbelieve that as it suits your argument and I don't know who from but it won't be :censored:in Shrewsbury that's for sure!

Smith was frustrating and brilliant in equal measures. He was far too cautious at times, leading him to make the wrong pass or the negative move, rather than being positive and finding the man up front or on the wing. As you say though, he kept the team ticking over.

Wes was the grafter in the midfield, something we can all appreciate - Would have loved to have kept him, but there's many of them about, probably on cheaper wages too.

There's a clear difference but the partnership this season was key to our success in some games, but I believe that it was also key to our downfall in others. Both players reluctance to move forward and kick on at times drew us into a deeper style of player (similar to what we had experienced the season before under Dickov) - something which probably cost us on a few occasions. There needs to be a clear emphasis on our play this coming season, whilst it's imperative that we defend well, it's hard to get anything more than a draw or a 1-0 win whilst both your central midfield players are sitting in the holding position, waiting for the wingers to have an impact.

Losing Wes has indeed been a blow, but not something that should massively affect us this coming season. Losing Smith as well would be more devastating or would be harder to replace, especially for the low(ish) money that he will be on - you can't pick up players of Smith's quality easily.

I think it's a case of you don't know what you've got until it's gone with Smith, many people underestimate his abilities and what he does for the team but we'd be hurt if he went, especially having to find two quality central midfield players, instead of simply finding a partner for Smith.

Unless it is a "Who has the most monkeys" competition.

You didn't think that through now did you? DID YOU??>!?!?!?!??!!/

Monkey tennis as a play off decider would be good.

Edited by dkay570