Miguel Llera

Most people who apply for a job are aware of the terms and conditions before they send the application form let alone have an interview or a trial. This is about employment not a business transaction. There is no transfer involved.

It is totally stupid and a waste of time to not agree terms before the trial. Common sense should prevail.

I think Latics were probably aware that Llera's financial expectations would be a stretch, unless he was forced to rein them in a bit if there wasn't an abundance of clubs vying for his services. The trial was probably as much about trying to sell the club and Johnson's 'vision' to him as anything else. Making him an offer that fits with our budget on day one would likely have seen him making a Wijnhaard telephone call.

It didn't work out on this occasion. We move on.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 4 jobs I've had I've known the vitals before doing all the interviewing etc.

In the vast majority of jobs I've had (and this is especially relevant to our actual football situation here), meeting and learning about the people I'd be working for and with was definitely a significant part of the vitals.

And, given the tweet about not fitting in, I suspect that this part may have been the crux of the problem, rather than any money issue.

From his official facebook page:

"Just is id like to say thanks very much To Oldham athletic for let me training with them, in speacial to his manager Lee Johnson, great manager and bigger person ! All the best for them, in this moment we didn't close the deal .
I am free agent in this moment and I hope to close some of the options than I have . Thanks to the fans. UP the owls ."

From his official facebook page:

"Just is id like to say thanks very much To Oldham athletic for let me training with them, in speacial to his manager Lee Johnson, great manager and bigger person ! All the best for them, in this moment we didn't close the deal .

I am free agent in this moment and I hope to close some of the options than I have . Thanks to the fans. UP the owls ."

some hotels in Torquay have a vacancy.

1.he - quite reasonably - isn't happy to be understudy to Lockwood/Wilson

2. We - quite reasonably - didn't want to break the bank to sign cover for a position that we've pretty much got covered.

3. Both parties agreed the mutually agreeable solution was to go our separate ways.

Best thing for all concerned. Spend the money on a winger/striker.

Kusunga's injury problems could surface again this season and it was a big gamble giving him another deal.......I reckon Llera would have been a nailed on signing at Kusunga's expense if he'd been available earlier.

You dont get many chances to sign quality players at out level, and with our resources, Llera was one though.

I've read we're well blessed at CB and some posters have gone down the "we dont need him anyway" route now he's left. BUT, picking the bones out of being 'well blessed':

Kusunga had a poor season last time, from a being available to play POV; let alone form wise. If he wasnt suspended; he was long term injured. Nothing to suggest otherwise that he wont be exactly the same again this time. IMO, it was a huge gamble to offer him fresh terms and I was surprised we did do.

Lockwood is a terrible footballer. I still stand by that. He's a head it, kick it out of play, hands all over the striker old school CB; and whilst it did prove effective during the 10 game run, i worry if he's relied upon for a full season. He will be if Kusunga has another mare of a season.

J Wilson - the one bright spark at CB.

Then we go to players 'filling in' if any of the 3 above arent available.

Dieng is a midfielder. B Wilson, Mills and C Brown are full-backs, small ones really too. Mellor playing as a CB didnt really work out. Its square pegs...

I dont see that we are well stocked at CB.

Llera would have been a certain starter if fit IMO; and if he wasnt viewed as that by the management group; then im baffled. Class player: a touch of genuine quality at the back, who very realistically could also have added 6-8+ goals to our totals over a full season.

I'm annoyed we've a.- had him on trial for so long, given him game time at the expense of others and then let him leave and b.- passed up the chance to sign a player who would have improved us no end.

Watch him sign for another L1 side and have a storming season now. And he'll score against us; I can see it now...

Edited by slystallone

Perhaps Llera wasn't happy settling for rotating with Lockwood, Wilson and Kusunga. And LJ didn't want to guarantee him a spot.

Perhaps in training his age was showing. Wednesday fans I heard from thought that while Llera was class he was increasingly prone to making mistakes.

I find it hard to get too worked up about a 34-year-old free transfer centre half (35 next month) not signing for us. I'm more interested in seeing our attacking and creative options sorted out.

I do think Kusunga gets a tough deal on here for his suspensions.

A saint would have struggled not to react to the events he faced at Gillingham and getting two yellow cards at MK Dons is hardly the greatest sin.

I don't think those moments have any value when considering his attributes.

Injuries, well that's different. Let the medics assess his value there. Lee Johnson was a tad unprofessional when he appeared to imply Kusunga made up a recurring injury. Given that he then took up an option to retain Kusunga it would appear he's comfortable with the lad's ability to contribute.

Kusunga had a poor season last time, from a being available to play POV; let alone form wise. If he wasnt suspended; he was long term injured. Nothing to suggest otherwise that he wont be exactly the same again this time. IMO, it was a huge gamble to offer him fresh terms and I was surprised we did

How can you say Kusunga was very poor? He's class and he showed it last season, I wish we could play him at right back and centre back. Taking away dodgy sending off and injuries, whenever he played he was imposing, commanding and comfortable on the ball. If he's fit, the only gamble of his deal, he partners Wilson without thought.

I don't see Llera as miles ahead of Kusunga at all.