Oldham Vs Middlesbrough - League Cup

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cup ties should be about having a go, but this lot (apart from Winchester and Dayton) showed little passion.

The manager has got to stop treating home matches like away games and take the initiative from the off.

Both full backs were poor, Elekobi looked as though he'd never played in a back three centre backs formation before, the midfield lacked creativity, and the strikers (if you can call them that) were non existent.

Yes Middleborough were a higher grade team, but so were Liverpool and Everton and we didn't meekly fold against them as we did tonight.

For goodness sake LJ get rid of this obsession of protecting the back four and play some creative midfielders, don't you understand the fans don't want another season at home like the last.

Edited by BP1960

I called it at twenty past three.

Did anyone really expect anything else? They came, did a proper number, kept it tight against the lower league side, did all the tricks, tugs, pulls and dives first half and scored a great hit. They were given too much space for the goal but still a good strike.

Second half they were clearly told to get another early doors and kill us off which they did. The third was the subs first or second touch, I bet he earns more than our squad combined.

I bet LJ took the game as a training exercise, rest a few from Saturday, this Saturday's game is much more important, took a look at a few others plus it might even mean we get to rotate a bit more when the even :censored:ter cup comes along as more players have played first team games?

Midfield are still finding out about each other, Mellor looked like he has bulked up, some tidy stuff, missing a ball winner in the middle. JCH is a pup being asked to do a man's job against an ex-Real Madrid defender, he needs games as he is still learning. Winchester really is a class apart, he glides across the pitch with the ball stuck to him, hope he continues in this fashion as he will be worth the ticket price alone soon.

Roll on Saturday where we will lose again by 1 or 2 goals, will be a tighter game but Orient are better than us and will leave with all 3 points. Hopefully we can kick on from this, Dayton and Mills looked like they could do something on the left when they were on the pitch together tonight, hopefully this will be carried on to Saturday. I'd like to see Dieng in the middle of the park, no-nonsense play the way you are facing player, possibly with Winchester alongside him but I might hold him back and use as sub as it would mean having to shift things round to fit the captain in unless we go 3 in the middle but that will need to either leave JCH isolated up front or go three at the back again which needs more work down at Chapel Road.

Too early to go all Robin Williams, new team, new players and will take us till about October to settle into some sort of rhythm, by then we'll have had injuries, suspensions and call ups and the pack will need to have been shuffled a few times. Loads of football to be played between now and May.

Its easy to dismiss our chances based on this reasoning but plenty of teams have performed against far superior teams tonight, Doncaster, Forest, Liverpool and Everton held far better chances than us in the past couple of years but it doesnt matter once they cross the line, its 11 v 11 and you have to want it as much which to Boros credit we didn't.

still could of had a bit of a go though couldn't we....

Sometimes the opposition are just that much better than you, in a league game it's indefensible, in a cup game against team a league higher with much better quality, fresh into a new season, who've just won their opening game; it's to be expected.

To be fair though, I didn't go and pay my money's worth to see it. I can imagine it made for pretty grim viewing in the pîssing, windy, rain.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I said earlier in the thread that tonight mirrored last season's start to the season, facing what is arguably an equally good Championship side to Derby like we did last August. This time we were totally uncompetitive whereas against Derby we fought them really well and came close.

Dejected already and fearful for us after that. It was the manner of the defeat more than anything, and the obsession with desperately negative football. Winchester, Elokobi and Dayton looked the only three up for it. We must be capable of better.

I said earlier in the thread that tonight mirrored last season's start to the season, facing what is arguably an equally good Championship side to Derby like we did last August. This time we were totally uncompetitive whereas against Derby we fought them really well and came close.

Dejected already and fearful for us after that. It was the manner of the defeat more than anything, and the obsession with desperately negative football. Winchester, Elokobi and Dayton looked the only three up for it. We must be capable of better.

Which will drive even more fans away, the majority of those kids tonight who don't normally attend won't come back - even for £1 admission, to watch any more of that.

Which will drive even more fans away, the majority of those kids tonight who don't normally attend won't come back - even for £1 admission, to watch any more of that.

the kids tickets had to be bought with an adult to be a quid, I paid a fiver tonight. But you're spot on, it's not that we lost it's the manner in which we did.

Looking forward to seeing Jones. Surely he can drive us forward. 442 actually makes us less attacking in a weird way. Just means we see less of the ball as we lose the midfield battle.

From what I've seen LJ has converted Jones into a defensive midfielder in tandem with Kelly.

Looking forward to seeing Jones. Surely he can drive us forward. 442 actually makes us less attacking in a weird way. Just means we see less of the ball as we lose the midfield battle.

@SheldanKeay: Apparently Jones has suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee and a sprained ankle. It wouldn't shock me if he isn't ready for January.

If we'd gone at them tonight they'd have got 6. Defensive tactics kept the defeat down.

When we gave them space they scored, if we'd given them more space (which would if we'd been going for it) they'd have scored more.

So why didn't Everton and Liverpool score 6 when we didn't play defensively against them?

They had a £3mil striker on their bench, we had Jordan Bove.

No need to worry about individual performances against a side like that.

It is what it is. Better team came, dominated and won. It happens.

Worry about it when it's Rochdale, Crawley and Gilligham doing it.

I think that's the balanced view of what we saw tonight. They were clearly the better side, with better quality players. But what looked worrying was that their better technically players also looked fitter and more up for the game than ours did? And that shouldnt happen; especially the 'up for it' part. Not once did one of our players actually snap into a challenge and come out of a 50/50 with the ball, we lost every individual battle.

The gulf in quality was plain to see. Reach, Whitehead, Leadbietter, Williams, Nsue, Ayala, Woodgate....they were just so much better than our players. But they also wanted it; when ours didnt appear to. And that's a real worry.

My 1st competitve game of the season having missing Colchester. I watched the Hudds pre-season game though; so its 2 games in for me. Too early to make any real sweeping judgements on the players.

What i will say is Liam Kelly doesnt look anywhere newr good enough at present; he was utterly pish tonight. Mellor, JCH, Philliskirk, Mills & B Wilson also all had shocking games. But Kelly in particular was simply awful.

Benifit of the doubt for all of them. I'll put it down to early season rustiness, and a lack of match sharpness. I hope it's that though, i really do.

I'm clutching at straws, but the bright sparks from tonight were the 2 half time subs; Dayton & Winchester. And at a push, Dieng stuck with it and kept going and at least tried to affect the game. But even then, i'm pushing it.

Best to sweep this one under the carpet i think.

It was awful. Really bad. I hope it's a freak, a blip and we never go 5 at the back at home again. And we never :censored: out of evey single challenge again. And we manage to actually put some passes together again, instead of shanking it out of play or giving it straight to the opposition...

I'm hoping it improves; quickly...

I called it at twenty past three.

Did anyone really expect anything else? They came, did a proper number, kept it tight against the lower league side, did all the tricks, tugs, pulls and dives first half and scored a great hit. They were given too much space for the goal but still a good strike.

Second half they were clearly told to get another early doors and kill us off which they did. The third was the subs first or second touch, I bet he earns more than our squad combined.

I bet LJ took the game as a training exercise, rest a few from Saturday, this Saturday's game is much more important, took a look at a few others plus it might even mean we get to rotate a bit more when the even :censored:ter cup comes along as more players have played first team games?

Midfield are still finding out about each other, Mellor looked like he has bulked up, some tidy stuff, missing a ball winner in the middle. JCH is a pup being asked to do a man's job against an ex-Real Madrid defender, he needs games as he is still learning. Winchester really is a class apart, he glides across the pitch with the ball stuck to him, hope he continues in this fashion as he will be worth the ticket price alone soon.

Roll on Saturday where we will lose again by 1 or 2 goals, will be a tighter game but Orient are better than us and will leave with all 3 points. Hopefully we can kick on from this, Dayton and Mills looked like they could do something on the left when they were on the pitch together tonight, hopefully this will be carried on to Saturday. I'd like to see Dieng in the middle of the park, no-nonsense play the way you are facing player, possibly with Winchester alongside him but I might hold him back and use as sub as it would mean having to shift things round to fit the captain in unless we go 3 in the middle but that will need to either leave JCH isolated up front or go three at the back again which needs more work down at Chapel Road.

Too early to go all Robin Williams, new team, new players and will take us till about October to settle into some sort of rhythm, by then we'll have had injuries, suspensions and call ups and the pack will need to have been shuffled a few times. Loads of football to be played between now and May.

mellor,some tidy stuff!!!!!!!winchester glides across the pitch and is a class apart!!WTF,is this a joke of a post or have you had too many stellas before the kickoff