Oldham Vs Middlesbrough - League Cup

how did big George elokobi play an no jones?

he played well at Colchester

Think he was the only one who came close to scoring for us....one attempted hitting a billboard near the corner flag another a header that didn't get anywhere near the net...stuck his boot in a few times when necessary. Had a solid game.

Think all their three go also came from outside our box.

Not having a shot on target or even an attempt to test the keeper is a worry, it's like last season, no idea what to do in the last third.

Boro were good closed us down really well, always two/three players on us when we were on the attack, made there own space some nice pass and move footy...

Oh well still unbeaten in the league

Edited by underdog

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teach a man to fish and he will eat everyday.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish.......you've saved yourself a fish.

(Lee Mack)

I can't believe the doom and gloom, we went behind to a worldy strike that 9 times out of 10 would fly over the bar, up until that point we were hardly under siege. We were then chasing the game against a very good Championship side who passed it very well. If Gros' half chance had gone in at nil nil things would have been completely different.

The league (and the Liverpool FA Cup game) are our priorities, we are unbeaten in the league and only 2 points off an automatic place. Roll on Saturday.

Roll on Saturday...

Against a very decent League One side!!

That will give us more of an indication of how LJ wishes to set us up at home league games, who he sees in his strongest current starting X1 etc.

Last night we were taken apart by a very strong Championship club, who; on last nights showing; with a number of their 'better' players rested; look a solid bet to be there & there abouts this season.

But - there were so many worrying signs from us that shouldnt be sweept under the carpet; whilst at the same time; understanding that it was a cup game, early in the season against a strong team.

Saturday will give way more clues as to how we're shaping up. Orient will really test us, and pound for pound, they too look to have better players for our level. Against a side like Oriet, we'll see what we're all about - and i hope come 5 o'clock, there are some positives to take!!!!!

I said:

Note the comma after Mellor? He does look like he has bulked up, (comma there too) we did play some tidy stuff in spells, kept possession, didn't do much with it but for a second game, against higher league opposition we did keep the ball at times. We are missing a ball winner in midfield too. Finally no, I didn't have too many Stellas before the game, I stayed late at work and drove straight there.

no worries b t,apologies,it was me with beer glasses on lastnight haha

James Wilson was at fault for their second. He and the beast appeared to be having a frank exchange of views in the aftermath.

And their third, when he headed a routine clearance straight up in the air, allowing them to win back possession.

Just in work so not got time to write up my full thoughts....couple of quick points

1. We don't attack with any pace, we rely on slow build ups and then go long because the opposition have time to get men behind the ball

2. Kelly was very poor, broke down most of our attacks by turning and going backwards

3. If J.Wilson smashes the ball out of play before their second, they don't get the quick throw and we probably don't concede

4. Mellor needs to go out and get games in league 2 / conference premier to build up confidence he had when he came through

5. Dayton looked the most dangerous i've seen him in an Oldham shirt

6. B.Wilson doesn't look fit

7. Dieng looked a lot better at CB than in midfield

8. Philliskirk wears number 10 because he's not a midfielder nor a winger....why do we insist on playing him here

9. Early days but Gros looks like a tryer,...nothing more than a Tounkara

10. JCH needs balls in behind and not up to his head, he's not good enough in that area yet

Well I have no idea what to expect going into my first Latics game since Bristol away in November (having been out of the country for the rest of the season, not doing friendlies, and missing the first two games).

Watching from afar it seemed as though we ended the season OK, albeit with a lot of draws, and the squad changes seem to have been for the most part resulting in some potential improvement.

Pre-season went well and we get an away point on the first day of the season - which from listening to Latics Player commentary was deserved and showed postiive signs.

So on balance things should be generally positive amongst the faithful....but we are football fans, and as a bunch we are prone to having significant swings in our moods and opinions, and clearly last nights game has given cause for some negativity to creep in ahead of the season (didn't go, listen, or even follw the game last night due to other plans).

You can make the case that it isn't as bad you may think: Very good team; scored a blinder when not that threatening, the goal changed the game, we won't play people this good every week, we are still learning as a side, tactics are still being developed, its only one game etc.

The other case is that despite on this, an abject performance is an abject performance no matter who it is against and to walk out of a cold and wet stadium having seen almost no positives from your team is worrying and going to dampen the mood. Aother 3 goals shipped in (2 it appears from further evidence of defensive frailties) means that you never feel that one goal will be enough to win a game, and a total lack of attacking intent will raise concerns over our ability to cause anyone problems and gives cause to that horribel feeling that if you concede first in a game that it is over. I wasn't there last night, but I have seen enough games like this to know how sapping they are and result in the 'end of the world' type comments that appear on message boards and round pub tables.

Which side of the argument you want to take is up to you....but we are only a convinving win away from a Promotion Push anytime in the next 3 months...

Just in work so not got time to write up my full thoughts....couple of quick points

1. We don't attack with any pace, we rely on slow build ups and then go long because the opposition have time to get men behind the ball

2. Kelly was very poor, broke down most of our attacks by turning and going backwards

3. If J.Wilson smashes the ball out of play before their second, they don't get the quick throw and we probably don't concede

4. Mellor needs to go out and get games in league 2 / conference premier to build up confidence he had when he came through

5. Dayton looked the most dangerous i've seen him in an Oldham shirt

6. B.Wilson doesn't look fit

7. Dieng looked a lot better at CB than in midfield

8. Philliskirk wears number 10 because he's not a midfielder nor a winger....why do we insist on playing him here

9. Early days but Gros looks like a tryer,...nothing more than a Tounkara

10. JCH needs balls in behind and not up to his head, he's not good enough in that area yet

I remember saying the opposite when Gregan smashed it out against L**ds thinking he was the big I am, right before they bagged. Probably the reason I :censored:ing hated Gregan.

Negative from Lee last night, 5 at the back, 2nd half we had a free kick inside the Boro half near the dugouts and instead of lumping it in the box we passed it backwards. Lucky it was 3-0, too many players having off nights and Boro too good..... but we move on massive game Saturday

Different games, Liverpool put a 2/3s strength team out and thought they would steamroller us as we were playing gash at the time, Dickov was going to get sacked if it wasn't for that cup tie. Full BP, magic of the cup, small boys, isn' it, football 'eh? Same as Everton.

It's a stupid example. One season we got well and truly crucified by Spurs, and a couple of months later we beat Man City. Different games, like you say. Also massively different squads played at different times of the season.

It's a stupid example. One season we got well and truly crucified by Spurs, and a couple of months later we beat Man City. Different games, like you say. Also massively different squads played at different times of the season.

Except one of teams was on on terrible run, but still had the heart to have a go at Liverpool and Everton.

LJ has already said attitude was a problem and that's worrying at the start of a season when they should have been raring to go and full of enthusiasm.

They had a £3mil striker on their bench, we had Jordan Bove.

No need to worry about individual performances against a side like that.

It is what it is. Better team came, dominated and won. It happens.

Worry about it when it's Rochdale, Crawley and Gilligham doing it.

How many millions did Notts F, Liverpool and Everton have on the bench, but we beat two of them, and drew with the other.

If LJ did treat this as a training game to check out players as has been mentioned, then it was a huge mistake. There's plenty of TV money to be had from the Cap 1 Cup.

Any team in L1 who have ambitions to play Championship football, must have a fair few players who show that they are capable of it. We have none! Last years team that played Derby were far better than this one, I know it's early days, but some of those players don't have the stomach for a fight, so I hope we are clear of relegation sooner than last season.

Surprised nobody has mentioned James Wilson being at fault for their second

partly to fault* he got totally out of position, but was covering for B.Wilson who was and did struggle all night to get back to full back after a surge forward Edited by kieranmcandrew

Last nights game shouldn't be looked at a gauge of what we need to do and who needs to shape up it was a league cup game against a championship side who let's face it are better than us and so they should be considering the players they got there

They pass the ball round effortlessly where as we looked scatty and rushing about

Gros seems to be getting a fair bit of stick but at least he was making the effort

As said earlier on.. worry when Gillingham, Crawley or Rochdale come to BP and do that to us

Edited by OAFCM35

It's virtually always allocated seating for the MSU. I'm not all that bothered, primarily as I got a decent random ticket at the turnstile.

Not for sparsely attended cup ties it ain't. Luckily our group all managed to sit in our usual seats anyway.

Lack of experience letting their man take the throw so quickly and put it straight back in.

totally agree with that, should have done what (woodgate would have done in his position) keep hold of the ball or knock it into Row Z but... without B.Wilson being out of position, J.Wilson wouldn't have needed to cover! Partly* ;)