Oldham Vs Middlesbrough - League Cup

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with a lot that's been said but it showed that a few are not up to it . I have said before that Philliskirk is our most over rated player and tonight proved it he was rubbish but not on his own how many chances do we give to Mellor . Mills was not at the races tonight and like a previous post said kept passing it into touch wasn't impressed with our forwards either neither held the ball up or won an header but in their defence the service was non existent

Totally agree with all the posts. 1st half gave them too much respect. They are a v good team but really its still 11 vs 11. 8 players in a line isnt gonna stop the opposition playing it thru us. All it does is alliw them to dictate play. Hence 1st goal too much space to get it out of his feet and hit it. Gros ineffective as was Mellor. Winchester better in second half but again we are not switched on in 1st 10 mins of halfs. 2nd goal throw in half asleep bang 2 nil basically game over. Second to everything, touch and fitness different class Boro. they are a league above but it would be easy to use that as an excuse.

I thought Dayton had a really good go after a shocking performance on Saturday.

Clarke Harris is a worry.

Philliskirk has still got his fetish for taking a turn.

Gros finished like a striker with a 2 in 50 record when he hit the corner flag from the penalty spot.

Dieng looked promising.

Why oh why will our midfielders still not run at an opposition defence to put them on the back foot and open it up for a shot or allow the strikers to find space?

We were given an absolute lesson. Didn't like the 5-3-2, would have much rather gone 4-4-2, and I hope to god we don't spend the first half of the season tinkering.

Mellor poor, Kelly poor, strikers didn't get a look-in and full-backs ineffective. Dayton (on his correct wing, thank god!) and Winchester gave it a go second half.

Not good enough, but Middlesbrough will be up there this season. Move on.

Agree with most of the posts. They looked good but my god were we poor.

It's the first time I have seen us play the 3-5-2 and I didn't like it, their full backs had way too much space.

I thought we were poor in cm especially second half, both Dieng and Kelly were terrible. As was Clarke-Harris, who looked disinterested.

I would have taken him off at half time instead of Gros. I know Clarke-Harris has the potential to do something special, but at least Gros was putting himself about and making an effort.

The only players, in my opinion, to come out of that game with any credit were Winchester and Dayton. Both were very direct and at least gave the Boro players something to think about.

All in all, a dire game on a dire evening.

Edited by The Scottish Zidane

We looked a lot better when Dayton and Winchester came on. Dieng was the only player to play the full 90 to have a properly decent game. Slagging off Gros for missing from the penalty spot is harsh, he was trying to deflect a shot from Mills goalwards and didn't quite manage it, but he was still less than impressive, especially considering the fuss Johnson made about boots when he first came here.

I'd start the team that finished tonight on Saturday.

Kelly should have got Boroughs man of the match award. He broke down almost every Latics move. Surely not every player can be that shocking all at once all in the same game. Tactics must have been a factor, we looked like a side that had been cobbled together 10 minutes before kick off by a Sunday League manager. Borough were a very good side though and it's early days. I still think we will have a better season than we did last year but tonight just wasn't good enough.

i wouldn't say anyone was stand out... it was collectively awful, but lead bitter was class and our midfield couldn't get near him - same can be said for ex Real Madrid Woodgate and his partner Ayala, not a cat in hells chance of getting past them two

so yes, we were bad but Middlesbrough showed how big that leap up is from league one to championship and how much we'll have to improve to even get near promotion standard

It is going to be a morale sapping putting to the sword by more capable players. Boro win by 2-3 clear goals leaving LJ having to pick the positives out of the game.

I'm going to be happy with us scoring one, the partnerships getting another run out to try form and establish themselves,the wide men getting forward to support JCH and the negatives are quickly worked on and forgotten about.

I called it at twenty past three.

Did anyone really expect anything else? They came, did a proper number, kept it tight against the lower league side, did all the tricks, tugs, pulls and dives first half and scored a great hit. They were given too much space for the goal but still a good strike.

Second half they were clearly told to get another early doors and kill us off which they did. The third was the subs first or second touch, I bet he earns more than our squad combined.

I bet LJ took the game as a training exercise, rest a few from Saturday, this Saturday's game is much more important, took a look at a few others plus it might even mean we get to rotate a bit more when the even :censored:ter cup comes along as more players have played first team games?

Midfield are still finding out about each other, Mellor looked like he has bulked up, some tidy stuff, missing a ball winner in the middle. JCH is a pup being asked to do a man's job against an ex-Real Madrid defender, he needs games as he is still learning. Winchester really is a class apart, he glides across the pitch with the ball stuck to him, hope he continues in this fashion as he will be worth the ticket price alone soon.

Roll on Saturday where we will lose again by 1 or 2 goals, will be a tighter game but Orient are better than us and will leave with all 3 points. Hopefully we can kick on from this, Dayton and Mills looked like they could do something on the left when they were on the pitch together tonight, hopefully this will be carried on to Saturday. I'd like to see Dieng in the middle of the park, no-nonsense play the way you are facing player, possibly with Winchester alongside him but I might hold him back and use as sub as it would mean having to shift things round to fit the captain in unless we go 3 in the middle but that will need to either leave JCH isolated up front or go three at the back again which needs more work down at Chapel Road.

Too early to go all Robin Williams, new team, new players and will take us till about October to settle into some sort of rhythm, by then we'll have had injuries, suspensions and call ups and the pack will need to have been shuffled a few times. Loads of football to be played between now and May.

They had a £3mil striker on their bench, we had Jordan Bove.

No need to worry about individual performances against a side like that.

It is what it is. Better team came, dominated and won. It happens.

Worry about it when it's Rochdale, Crawley and Gilligham doing it.

Edited by PlayItLivo

They had a £3mil striker on their bench, we had Jordan Bove.

No need to worry about individual performances against a side like that.

It is what it is. Better team came, dominated and won. It happens.

Worry about it when it's Rochdale, Crawley and Gilligham doing it.

still could of had a bit of a go though couldn't we....

Edited by welshgaz

Midfield major problem same as last season, no attacking threat whatsoever, Kelly was poor, sideways, backwards or a long hoofball up to no one, it sounds fimiliar. Mellor, well why is he still here, he's just not good enough, i think we all know why he really is still here, or maybe I'm being cynical! Gros, not good enough, wont be here long in my opinion. Philliskirk, i just do not see what he brings to the team, over rated in my opinion. Dayton, to lightweight for me. Mills, very poor game. Jch, again poor, not a great start to the season from him, no service to him again though, and his hold up play is also poor.

Thought winchester played well when he came on at HT.

All in all im quite optimistic for the season.......