Oldham Vs Middlesbrough - League Cup

what changes will he make, if any?

for me, id like to see dieng come in and with it being a cup game is it a perfect chance to put elokobi in either at left back or centre back?

id personally go with 5-3-2 ;

Rachubka

Brown - Wilson - Dieng - Elokobi - Mills

Winchester - Kelly - Jones

JCH - Forte

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a few Middlesbrough supporting mates and they reckon their squad is looking the best since they got relegated from the Premier League. Good defensively and Tomlin and Kike look class together up top. Should bring a half decent crowd down as they haven't been to BP in a fair while.

Boro take big followings everywhere and it's their first away of the season so can see them bringing over 1000, which should make for a healthy atmosphere. Also another opportunity to try out formations and lineups to avoid the tinkering we saw until late last season when we finally found a settled team, as LJ knew his best side.

Almost mirrors last season's start - a poor opening game opposition away, to a fancied Championship side at home - so might be a good barometer of how we're shaping up this season, and the attendance should be a measure of the fans' optimism too - I'm expecting a few hundred less. We were competitive against a strong Derby a year ago. Looking forward to this match.

Edited by NewBlue

what changes will he make, if any?

for me, id like to see dieng come in and with it being a cup game is it a perfect chance to put elokobi in either at left back or centre back?

id personally go with 5-3-2 ;

Rachubka

Brown - Wilson - Dieng - Elokobi - Mills

Winchester - Kelly - Jones

JCH - Forte

On my phone , why does Winchester always show highlighted in blue?

So a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-4-1 rather than five defenders.

The 532/352 system itself means the wing-backs are the ones who provide the width going forward. They may be defenders by name, but actually play a very attacking role. So we will be vulnerable to counter attacks.

Also, it's been played with an attacking player in the space behind the two strikers. Philliskirk played this role when he came on on Saturday.

We first saw it back at the start of LJ's reign, when we were behind at home to Colchester on Monday April 1st 2013. Grounds moved to centre back, and Bobby Reid came on to play behind Baxter and Simpson. We equalised, and created a load of chances to win it.

I thought at the time that we'd see it plenty in the 13/14 season, but we ended up not preparing it until this campaign.

Edited by Simpo

Rachubka

Wilson Wilson Elekobi Mills

Winchester Jones Kelly Forte

Clarke-Harris

Philliskirk

Forte looks like a natural winger, play him where he's most dangerous. Clarke-Harris doesn't look like he can play up front on his own, he needs someone to knock it down to.