not upto it

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to the team that looked competitive against Newcastle?

Until George can learn we play in blue and he can curtail his HOOFING he should not be anyway near the team - dreadful today some have called him a leader, can't see it myself. Has he been introduced to James Wilson yet as they were absolute strangers.

Liam Kelly cannot be fit, he surely cannot be as dire as his first three appearances would suggest. Winchester should come into the centre with James Casper Dayton on the right. The only forward intent and strength on the ball came from Winchester supported in part from Jones. On current showing Kelly cannot justify his place.

Winchester is the only real positive from todays abject showing, some may be excused as being played out of position but the way we surrendered is unpalatable. The assembled team looks as poor as I can remember and has relegation fodder stamped all over it. Fortunately its early days but LJ needs to sort this out quickly or prey there are four worse teams in the division. We were told that the additions would add quality. We looked reasonable first half, but when Slade changed things and stifled Forte we had no response other than a long punt. We had no plan B and the football deteriorated to Sunday league standard. Awful, truly awful.

Got to say I said on here that I was worried about the upcoming season with the signings we had made. Last season we had a lack of width and lack of goals. Especially lack of goals.

JCH & Philliskirk not enough to get us up the league & the signings of Gros & Morgan - Smith don't give the sense that they can either.

As well as that the midfield is a downgrade from last season & wingers situation not addressed.

The squad aside, if LJ could get them playing them maybe they could prove me wrong, but how we played together was pathetic, when the manager was brought it was said that we would have a passing style, I didn't see that. I saw same old Latics, occassional good patches of attacking play but majority hoofing it uo to the forward man, and with our foward men not looking like they can hold it up to save their lives is worrying.

Im normally optimistic when it comes to Latics but got to say I'm worried about this year, poor squad & can't see where the points are gonna come from looking through the table.

Think this might be the year if signings aren't made.

Guest Stanley30

screw watching this :censored:e all season.I'm gonna watch the roughyeds, at least they have chance of moving divisions instead of this dross! Although this team have a good chance if going down! I'm out!

12 grand a week where did you make that up then ? As for booin who are you to tell anyone what to do ? People pay their £22 they can boo who they want, so long as they are sat in a seat.

Well, in my view Athleticos are known for their persistent standing...

Also, Its the second game of the league, against one of the favorites to go up and one of the biggest budgets in the league. A team we beat hands down for 45 minutes... That match didnt warrant boos.

12 grand a week where did you make that up then ? As for booin who are you to tell anyone what to do ? People pay their £22 they can boo who they want, so long as they are sat in a seat.

It's been the talk of the boardroom for the last 2 games that Darius Henderson is being paid 12k a week and McAnuff isn't far off that.....why else would he drop a division from Forest? I also seem to remember that LJ has eluded to it as well.

Also been confirmed by someone at a Championship club and given they have a new Italian owner who is splashing the cash it makes sense.

As and for booing.....aren't you the 'athletico' who stated that everything you lot were doing was for the good of the team?

When you can convince me that booing the players in their first competitive home league game has a positive effect I'll crawl back into my box!

Why do you go back and have a look at your original manifest for the 'Athleticos' and tell us where it all went wrong?

People keep talking about Kelly not being fit, why would he not be 'fit' now?

It was worrying for me when LJ said Noble was only good for 15 minutes, where is this super fit team he banged on about when he first came in?

To my eyes Forte, Kelly, Jones, Elokobi, Philliskirk and Noble don't meet these requirements, not to mention Morgan Smith who we are told is still not ready for a competitive game and Turner who has suffered a series of injuries since he arrived.

LJ also said the defence must improve, with 6 at the back already that's a concern.

Edited by BP1960

Well, it lasted more games than I said it would. They got to 2.5 competitive games!!

Didn't even last a game for some......pre-game Colchester in the Bricklayers singing "Colchesters a :censored:hole' towards quiet part of the pub didn't really go down well with either set of fans in there.

screw watching this :censored:e all season.I'm gonna watch the roughyeds, at least they have chance of moving divisions instead of this dross! Although this team have a good chance if going down! I'm out!

Welcome back Mr AthleticosOA95. Different user name, same level of positivity.

screw watching this :censored:e all season.I'm gonna watch the roughyeds, at least they have chance of moving divisions instead of this dross!

If you're gonna desert your team because of a poor performance in the first home league game of the season and go and watch someone else in the hope of glory hunting, at least have the ambition to go to St Helens or Leeds.

So in summary we played some good stuff in the first half, scored a good goal and should possibly have two more. Forte was skinning their right back every time and Winchester and Jones were playing well. We got caught with a sucker punch from a mistake by Brown and went in at half time even.

There was still case for optimism as we had shaded the first 45 minutes against a better team.

After that, it all went rapidly downhill. Orient changed their shape and cut off the supply to Forte and pressed us higher up the pitch - our heads went and the mistakes that had been sporadic in the first half became a regular part of our play. We simply could not do the basics - passing, tackling and shooting (such as it was) was abysmal for large periods of the second half.

Too many poor performances - Kelly and JCH in particular but practically the whole team lost their way.

Whatever is said at the interval does not seem to get through to the players - it was the same in the second half at Colchester.

We are missing a leader on the pitch but we are also suffering from too many players going missing - whether it is down to a lack of fitness or a lack of belief the second half performance was one of the worst in a long time.

Another tough game coming up on Tuesday - perhaps it is time to revert to a classic 442 or even 433? Maybe the players should have their say?

Whatever LJ is trying to achieve here is patently not working.

Yes it is early in the season but the signs are ominous - time for a rethink?

Edited by TheBigDog

What's wrong with good old 4-4-2 with Mills on left and Dayton on right of midfield.

Play Elokobi at LB. Winchester and Kelly in middle with JCH and Forte up top? Not really rocket science playing players in their strongest positions as Mills has played on wing as well as at back.

Sometimes I think coaches or managers like to be seen as progressive and worry that they are dinosaurs for deploying 4-4-2 that is deemed archaic, too rigid and a team would generally be outplayed in the middle.

Frustrating thing is that we have the players to do much better and have been assuringly positive in pre-season.

Agree on the ominous signs - the worry is how long we wait for Elokobi, Kelly etc to get 'fully fit' (shouldn't they be doing that pre-season?) & having to carry them in the meantime, which means losing games & getting stuck around the bottom four from the start... having made Kelly captain, I doubt LJ is going to drop him anyway, even though he doesn't seem able to put a foot in, control a ball or pass to a man in blue, fit or not. Then there's LJ's latest, another Bristol City midfielder who even he admits has only got 10-15 minutes in him. JCH needs help up front but Gros is another unfit, who the manager doesn't seem to trust already. Apart from Winchester, Forte is a really positive signing but even he probably hasn't got 90 minutes in him, though it was hard to tell yesterday when we stopped passing him the ball in the second half.

Just seen LJ saying 'heads will roll' on player - remind me who brought these players in, picks the team and decides the tactics? The half-time team talks are producing worse results than Dickov's.

Keep the Fa... er, One dream?

Another tough game coming up on Tuesday - perhaps it is time to revert to a classic 442 or even 433? Maybe the players should have their say?

Whatever LJ is trying to achieve here is patently not working.

Yes it is early in the season but the signs are ominous - time for a rethink?

Definitely time to revert to the classic 4-4-2. JCH needs support in a front two partnership.

I would say the two in central midfield need to consist of a creative midfielder and a battler - Winchester can certainly be the creative midfielder, but the early signs are that Kelly is neither - harsh after two games maybe, but I would like to have seen a sign there's something to work with. We paid a fee, which means expectations should be high, in my opinion.

I'm also not sure how much of a guideline our good first-half showing is - it's such a familiar story of us starting well, not capitalising and then being rubbish for the rest of the game. I would even suggest the opposition encourage us to come at them for the first 30% of the game because they know we're going to give the little we have got for this period, get tired or run out of ideas, and then be easy pickings for the following 70%.