not upto it

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still here for now I have no intention of watching the Roughyheads, just out of interest what should people do after watching what we are all agreeing was a shocking half of football ?

I don't think we all agree that it was shocking. Very little difference between yesterday's game and any 3rd division game I've watched over the last 5-10 years.

As for what we should do after that game? Just crack on with the rest of your life. By the time I leave the car park whatever has happened in the preceding 2 hours is gone, it really isn't that important.

Seeing a different side to the Athleticos tonight . Thats two members now talking about knocking people out. Now I can see why the club have not been as accomadating as you had wanted.

i ain't got nothing to do with the athleticos, as for the booing and stuff towards the end I cannot comment on that as we left when the 3rd goal went in,maybe the comments about the steward was a bit strong!! But this steward was clearly getting under people's skin all over the rre,just hell bent on causing friction with the fans,the last thing we need is too lose fans over this power tripper!!

Ahhh the cold light of day. Time to reflect on the game after a night's kip and a skin full.

First half, for the record, we played some superb football. A complete turn around from the Middlesbrough game and the Orient defence struggled to cope with Mills and Forte down the left. However, as we saw with Harkins last season, he gets targeted as our danger-man and marked out of the game. Really felt for Connor Brown who up until giving away possession, which led to the equalizer, was playing well.

Second half we just didn't get going. Orient tightened up, took Forte out of the game, and we got far too sloppy. Mis-placed passes, not enough movement and poor organisation. We (yet again) don't look at all dangerous with JCH on his own up front, and their back four looked impenetrable. Unlike the first half, the midfielders didn't get forward enough to aid the striker and the goals we conceded were very poor. Very disheartening to see our rock solid defence looking so shakey.

However, it was a poor half of football, certainly not the first and definitely not the last any of us will see supporting Latics. I think the boo'ing came from the sheer disappointment of a good performance turning bad so quickly, but in my opinion it was totally unneeded.

But we move on, and look forward (I think) to Port Vale on Tuesday. If we keep it like the first 30 minutes of yesterday we'll give them a game.

KT.. OTOD (?)

Im still here for now I have no intention of watching the Roughyheads, just out of interest what should people do after watching what we are all agreeing was a shocking half of football ?

What should we do 2 options

1. Accept that it's part if the life of supporting Oldham Athletic we are 2 games into the season I've seen us start badly before and recover and just move on.

2. Do something else on Tuesday or Saturday we all have the right to vote with our feet.

All this talk of formations - why don't we just play whatever formation gets the most round pegs in round holes? Like, eg, our ex premier League left back.

Yes we were :censored: and certain players were worse than others but, let's not get on their backs eh? Or the managers.

It's very early days and, as ever, we're suffering from having half a team of new signings. Let's support them & give them time to settle in.

We'll win on Tuesday and Clarke Harris will score.

Edited by HarryBosch

Ahhh the cold light of day. Time to reflect on the game after a night's kip and a skin full.

First half, for the record, we played some superb football. A complete turn around from the Middlesbrough game and the Orient defence struggled to cope with Mills and Forte down the left. However, as we saw with Harkins last season, he gets targeted as our danger-man and marked out of the game. Really felt for Connor Brown who up until giving away possession, which led to the equalizer, was playing well.

Second half we just didn't get going. Orient tightened up, took Forte out of the game, and we got far too sloppy. Mis-placed passes, not enough movement and poor organisation. We (yet again) don't look at all dangerous with JCH on his own up front, and their back four looked impenetrable. Unlike the first half, the midfielders didn't get forward enough to aid the striker and the goals we conceded were very poor. Very disheartening to see our rock solid defence looking so shakey.

However, it was a poor half of football, certainly not the first and definitely not the last any of us will see supporting Latics. I think the boo'ing came from the sheer disappointment of a good performance turning bad so quickly, but in my opinion it was totally unneeded.

But we move on, and look forward (I think) to Port Vale on Tuesday. If we keep it like the first 30 minutes of yesterday we'll give them a game.

KT.. OTOD (?)

Pretty much my viewing...wether we can replicate and prolong that first half showing is all that need to be asked...

I agree that maybe reverting back to 4-4-2 also to get some solidity, the players might just not be intelligent enough to play something more tactical, I think LJ might be over complicating it with his attention to detail.

Dieng was on the defences toes most of the game and was a bit of a spare part, move tht position up top to support JCH IMO

I also though brown played ok, he was unlucky that one miss controlled pass in their half led to the goal, our defence was now where to be seen picking up henderson

This annual shipping out / shipping in of players who are often without clubs themselves is going to bite us one year.

There is no chance of stability and progress whilst we have to do this due to having so little money.

The sheer number of players the club has tried in the last decade is staggering .

Bizarrely we appear to have finally found a goalscorer , the one thing that would have improved so many of our team versions.

But with 8 goals conceded in 3 games and the old failing of not being to deliver a decent 90 minutes (if it is a lack of fitness , this is unforgivable for professional athletes) it is looking like the same old same old.

But eh we have a new slogan .......

The centre back partnership on show yesterday cannot continue. The first and second goals were a comical display of miscommunication and unfamiliarity between Elokobi and Wilson. They crossed each other's paths creating a huge space for their attackers twice, and it cost us twice. The whole back line looks like a set of individuals, and although Dieng does hold deep in that midfield, he doesn't actually appear to make too many challenges.

Kelly, Jones and Dieng are erratic in front of the midfield. Piss poor simple passing from them, even though I like the revamping in emphasis of the midfield: to support the attack, break forward alternately and press high up the field. It did all come together first 30 minutes and there's definitely promise. I got a nosebleed just watching one of our midfielders surge into their area after last season's half way line curfew. However, what should be bread and butter stuff for a midfielder is too untidy for professional footballers.

The spine of our team is completed by JCH who's been a nonentity in terms of opportunities. His work has been decent from the wider positions, the perfect cross for Kelly yesterday and the cut back for Wilson for the goal at Colchester - seeing midfielders break forwards in support of him is promising but he's our striker and needs to get chances of his own.

The formation is immaterial when the individuals are performing so poorly. In fact, when they are playing well, the first half an hour is what we can be. Winchester and Forte are embarrassing the rest of that bunch they've been so unrivalled in quality. I'd put Winchester (I take it back, why bulk up when no one can get near you!) in the centre to retain the ball and take Kelly out. He doesn't look sharp or fit and we can't carry a passenger, but my other contradicting worry is that he may need game time to be fit, and he won't get that unless he's playing.

Port Vale are dark horses this season: recruited well in the summer, solid manager building off a strong season. Intensity and sharpness has to go up a notch or three.

Edited by NewBlue

I think LJ might be over complicating it with his attention to detail.

Think you're giving him too much credit there, Forte marked out of the game 2nd half, can't remember him being asked to switch position.

Clarke-Harris' best/only bit of good play was when he got down the left wing and put a cracking cross in, would liked to have seen him have 10 minutes there and put Forte through the middle, try something different, never happened.

The centre back partnership on show yesterday cannot continue. The first and second goals were a comical display of miscommunication and unfamiliarity between Elokobi and Wilson. They crossed each other's paths creating a huge space for their attackers twice, and it cost us twice. The whole back line looks like a set of individuals, and although Dieng does hold deep in that midfield, he doesn't actually appear to make too many challenges.

Kelly, Jones and Dieng are erratic in front of the midfield. Piss poor simple passing from them, even though I like the revamping in emphasis of the midfield: to support the attack, break forward alternately and press high up the field. It did all come together first 30 minutes and there's definitely promise. I got a nosebleed just watching one of our midfielders surge into their area after last season's half way line curfew. However, what should be bread and butter stuff for a midfielder is too untidy for professional footballers.

The spine of our team is completed by JCH who's been a nonentity in terms of opportunities. His work has been decent from the wider positions, the perfect cross for Kelly yesterday and the cut back for Wilson for the goal at Colchester - seeing midfielders break forwards in support of him is promising but he's our striker and needs to get chances of his own.

The formation is immaterial when the individuals are performing so poorly. In fact, when they are playing well, the first half an hour is what we can be. Winchester and Forte are embarrassing the rest of that bunch they've been so unrivalled in quality. I'd put Winchester (I take it back, why bulk up when no one can get near you!) in the centre to retain the ball and take Kelly out. He doesn't look sharp or fit and we can't carry a passenger, but my other contradicting worry is that he may need game time to be fit, and he won't get that unless he's playing.

Port Vale are dark horses this season: recruited well in the summer, solid manager building off a strong season. Intensity and sharpness has to go up a notch or three.

Another good post there pal.

I think your point on the formation is a valid one; it being immaterial what is played if the players aren't performing.

I'd argue though that the tactics and formation become increasingly vital if you have under-performing players who appear low on confidence and fitness.

Having a framework of play that all the players are fully aware of and know exactly what is expected of them can hide a multitude of sins from out of sorts players. The team organisation overriding individual poor form.

Our starting formation seemed to be conflicting: Dieng was clearly being asked to sweep on front of the back and mop up & also take the ball from the keeper and CB's to build out from his position. He was doing that. But so was Kelly. We had a back 6 due to it.

The instructions seemed to be to get it across to Forte for him to run the channels. That worked when Carl Winchester found him with a cracking pass and Forte used his pace & decent finish to score.

The issue was weren't able to adjust once Orient had made changes. Once our 1 & only tactic of feeding Forte was taken out; we were clueless.

I csn't figure out what LJ is trying to do. He clearly found that his nice & pretty football from the 1st half of last season wasnt working for him / us and he's changed it. But he's changed it to such a boring, predictable and negative set-up. It'll get the odd hard-earned away points; but feck me; at home - jeez. The formation is all over the shot, the tactics are poor and we inexplicably have 5 or 6 players starting who are cleary unfit.

I'm not very happy with what i'm seeing so far. I havent been for a while too. And nothing appears to have changed. Worrying. Really quite worrying...

Another good post there pal.

I think your point on the formation is a valid one; it being immaterial what is played if the players aren't performing.

I'd argue though that the tactics and formation become increasingly vital if you have under-performing players who appear low on confidence and fitness.

Having a framework of play that all the players are fully aware of and know exactly what is expected of them can hide a multitude of sins from out of sorts players. The team organisation overriding individual poor form.

Our starting formation seemed to be conflicting: Dieng was clearly being asked to sweep on front of the back and mop up & also take the ball from the keeper and CB's to build out from his position. He was doing that. But so was Kelly. We had a back 6 due to it.

The instructions seemed to be to get it across to Forte for him to run the channels. That worked when Carl Winchester found him with a cracking pass and Forte used his pace & decent finish to score.

The issue was weren't able to adjust once Orient had made changes. Once our 1 & only tactic of feeding Forte was taken out; we were clueless.

I csn't figure out what LJ is trying to do. He clearly found that his nice & pretty football from the 1st half of last season wasnt working for him / us and he's changed it. But he's changed it to such a boring, predictable and negative set-up. It'll get the odd hard-earned away points; but feck me; at home - jeez. The formation is all over the shot, the tactics are poor and we inexplicably have 5 or 6 players starting who are cleary unfit.

I'm not very happy with what i'm seeing so far. I havent been for a while too. And nothing appears to have changed. Worrying. Really quite worrying...

I had hoped LJ would abandon his holding midfielders and one up front tactics this season at home, but his comment on Latics player "we must go into this game (Port Vale) and certainly keep a clean sheet" suggests to me a negative mindset and nothing will change.

Edited by BP1960

I had hoped LJ would abandon his holding midfielders and one up front tactics this season at home, but his comment on Latics player "we must go into this game (Port Vale) and certainly keep a clean sheet" suggests to me a negative mindset and nothing will change.

It's not what I'd choose to watch, given the choice, but it's what worked at the back end of last season.

People will say you sound like a broken record, but I have to agree with you. We have Jones in the middle who tries to get about, but the Dieng and Kelly holding seemed to be a bit much of a negative step. There was one incident yesterday, when we had a free kick in an attacking area, and we had four stood over it and then four stood on the halfway line. It essentially looked like a back 8. I've no doubt we will win on Tuesday to paper over some more cracks...

From what I have seen so far, until Adam Lockwood is back at the centre of the defence, clean sheets will be like rocking horse :censored:.

People will say you sound like a broken record, but I have to agree with you. We have Jones in the middle who tries to get about, but the Dieng and Kelly holding seemed to be a bit much of a negative step. There was one incident yesterday, when we had a free kick in an attacking area, and we had four stood over it and then four stood on the halfway line. It essentially looked like a back 8. I've no doubt we will win on Tuesday to paper over some more cracks...

Sorry about the broken record, I had hoped to put it in the bin this season, but the same old tune keeps coming back to haunt me.

For me that free kick on the half way line which was passed back twice, ending up with an aimless kick into touch not even reaching the place where it started summed it all up.

Edited by BP1960

It's not what I'd choose to watch, given the choice, but it's what worked at the back end of last season.

The problem though is some people will choose not to watch it. At the end of last season we were getting results but i was board out of my mind. we played 4-5-1 and the guy i go with said johnson has just found a way to get results to secure a place in the division, and he will change it next year, he did yesterday we played 4-1-4-1 - even more negative!I thought we played well in the first half, but in the second half created f all and i was board again and we didnt change formation to give it a go. people will stop coming if we say the same

The problem though is some people will choose not to watch it. At the end of last season we were getting results but i was board out of my mind. we played 4-5-1 and the guy i go with said johnson has just found a way to get results to secure a place in the division, and he will change it next year, he did yesterday we played 4-1-4-1 - even more negative!I thought we played well in the first half, but in the second half created f all and i was board again and we didnt change formation to give it a go. people will stop coming if we say the same

If I was that board I wood.

If it produces a promotion challenge they'll be replaced and then some