HarryBosch, on 19 Sept 2014 - 9:31 PM, said:snapback.png

LJ drew the same general conclusions as myself, thats why he signed him, he needs certain aspects of his game developing as LJ and myself both pointed out, to be stronger in the air is one of them.

Agreed but what a prospect this lad is.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but what a prospect this lad is.

80% of his game was way below my expectations of a League One striker yesterday. With the ball at his feet he's got it. But his anticipation, passing, heading and awareness are way off the mark.

Granted, he nearly won us the game late on, but I am wondering what we're doing giving a Bolton player game time when we've got somebody who seems to have scored goals for fun at youth level, has scored for us in the handful of first team minutes he's played yet isn't deemed good enough to get on our bench.

It's been said to me many times if a player is in non league for years he mustn't be any good otherwise a league club would have signed him, well no one bothered about Jamie Vardy when he was playing for 5 seasons in the Northern Premier and below.

There's more like him out there if given the chance.

This lad looks as though he knows where the net is (90 appearances 42 goals).

Edited by BP1960

80% of his game was way below my expectations of a League One striker yesterday. With the ball at his feet he's got it. But his anticipation, passing, heading and awareness are way off the mark.

Granted, he nearly won us the game late on, but I am wondering what we're doing giving a Bolton player game time when we've got somebody who seems to have scored goals for fun at youth level, has scored for us in the handful of first team minutes he's played yet isn't deemed good enough to get on our bench.

I mentioned his weakness in the air O4U and was shot down for my observation, he will do well in a few years time when he grows into his frame and was worth bringing in as he adds something different to the team, but at the moment I'm more concerned about Poleon, who looks to be struggling to impose himself.

Edited by BP1960

We must have been watching different games yesterday. Wilkinson had a very good game - he tired towards the latter stages but seemed to find a second wind and was by far the best frontman on the pitch.

We must have been watching different games yesterday. Wilkinson had a very good game - he tired towards the latter stages but seemed to find a second wind and was by far the best frontman on the pitch.

Agree 100% I sometimes think I am at a different game, he was by far our most effective forward yeaterday despite only playing 20 minutes prior to yesterday he looked the one most likely to do something, its no wonder our strikers dont grow in confidence if they are knocked like they are on here.

its no wonder our strikers dont grow in confidence if they are knocked like they are on here.

If a professional footballer can't take it they should either quit the game or simply avoid the internet. I would expect them to take much worse from those who matter (managers and coaches) than the fairly mild comments I made.

In context, I stated that he nearly win us the match and looked good with the ball at him feet.

The "knocks", as you so eloquently put it, I'll repeat and perhaps assist with more context:

anticipation - it could be that he's not used to our system, but he seemed slow off the mark when not in possession. This happened on several occasions. For comparison, he was well behind JCH on this.

passing - gave the ball away cheaply on too many occasions.

heading - he doesn't get his feet off the ground. Now I'd sent him to Tony Philliskirk for a week to work on this and I'd guess he comes back far better in the air. But he's got to at least try.

awareness - didn't seem to know where his team mates were. Head down and charge forwards was good, but what next?

These are all things that can be coached. He may well improve markedly while he's here. I hope he does. But why give this lad a chance instead of Bove?

And please don't try to insinuate I'm some sort of excessively negative poster who's bad for the team because that is patently nonsense.

Edited by opinions4u

I wonder if Kusunga has ever been tried starting a game at centre forward - even in training, Iv'e seen stranger things happen, didn't Ian Marshall arrive as a centre half?

No doubt I will be shot down on here for even thinking of this.

Edited by BP1960

If a professional footballer can't take it they should either quit the game or simply avoid the internet. I would expect them to take much worse from those who matter (managers and coaches) than the fairly mild comments I made.

In context, I stated that he nearly win us the match and looked good with the ball at him feet.

The "knocks", as you so eloquently put it, I'll repeat and perhaps assist with more context:

anticipation - it could be that he's not used to our system, but he seemed slow off the mark when not in possession. This happened on several occasions. For comparison, he was well behind JCH on this.

passing - gave the ball away cheaply on too many occasions.

heading - he doesn't get his feet off the ground. Now I'd sent him to Tony Philliskirk for a week to work on this and I'd guess he comes back far better in the air. But he's got to at least try.

awareness - didn't seem to know where his team mates were. Head down and charge forwards was good, but what next?

These are all things that can be coached. He may well improve markedly while he's here. I hope he does. But why give this lad a chance instead of Bove?

And please don't try to insinuate I'm some sort of excessively negative poster who's bad for the team because that is patently nonsense.

Nah - I'm not having this...

As I said before, you must have been watching a different game to me yesterday.

Anticipation - looked okay to me - got into a number of good positions; for example the cross for Philliskirk, the 'dive' in the penalty area, the closing down of the centre backs, the brilliant run and shot late on...

Passing - as far as I could see, he did not give the ball away much at all and his link play was good.

Heading - about the only point that I would concede - definitely something to work on.

Awareness - again seemed okay to me; he made a number of decisive runs and brought others into the game.

I am not suggesting for one minute that you are an excessively negative poster - but I do think your assessment is flawed and harsh.

Nah - I'm not having this...

As I said before, you must have been watching a different game to me yesterday.

Different people see things different ways. You're more than entitled to a view that is evidently shared by others.

I am not suggesting for one minute that you are an excessively negative poster

That bit wasn't aimed at you.

but I do think your assessment is flawed and harsh.

Fair enough. I can accept that you don't agree. I'm also more than aware that players improve with games, so I've certainly not written him off.

Have you wrote Poleon off then ? It could be argued that Wilkinson has done as much in his one game than Poleon has in his four starts ? I would take Wilkinson all day long over JCH seems to have far more to his game and he probably will improve further the longer he is with us.

I've not written either of them off.

I wonder if Kusunga has ever been tried starting a game at centre forward - even in training, Iv'e seen stranger things happen, didn't Ian Marshall arrive as a centre half?

Rather go for exeperince still think there is more to come from Poleon and Forte but right now i dont see how Kunsunga would get into the back 4 looked stronger without him however as a late sub or someone who could cause problems in the opponents defence if we are chasing a game maybe a good call.

Edited by oafctom

This is generally my position on it as well. Unless we're getting someone who will make an immediate difference and improve the team then why bother? We have our own youngsters with potential who need game time.

It's been said to me many times if a player is in non league for years he mustn't be any good otherwise a league club would have signed him, well no one bothered about Jamie Vardy when he was playing for 5 seasons in the Northern Premier and below.

Is this someone you have informed the club of?

Did you get any feedback on the winger you suggested?

HarryBosch, on 19 Sept 2014 - 9:31 PM, said:snapback.png

LJ drew the same general conclusions as myself, thats why he signed him, he needs certain aspects of his game developing as LJ and myself both pointed out, to be stronger in the air is one of them.

This is priceless.

Apart from the last twenty minutes when Danny P got it into his feet Wilkinson looked like a little boy lost.

He looked disinterested at times and was persistently not switched on to what was going on around him. He looked lost and a bit of a mard arse if i'm honest. He spent two or three minutes messing with his boots when he could have been getting into position, got a little knock that he could have simply got on with but didn't and his dive in the area was embarrassing BUT the last twenty minutes does show there is player there. He needs to stay switched on, look up when on the ball and realise he's now playing in a man's team.

In all honesty though, I'd much rather give Bove, Wilkinson's chance - sick of loanees getting the nod over our young lads. Especially one who had a good pre-season and scored a real striker's goal v Bradford.

As for Poleon his debut apart he's offering very little. It'll take time as he's not been playing but the first thing I'd do is switch Forte out wide and Poleon through the middle. Forte is a threat from anywhere Poleon looks lost and isolated out wide.

And why oh why Johnson do you constantly piss about with Danny P? The only time we looked threatening yesterday (pretty passing apart) was when Danny came on, Him and Winchester have been our stand out performers in this run - along with Big George.

Get a striker in with instinct and we may be going places. Bove may be that player and save us a bob or two. Is he ready? We'll never know unless we give him a go...

Apart from the last twenty minutes when Danny P got it into his feet Wilkinson looked like a little boy lost.

He looked disinterested at times and was persistently not switched on to what was going on around him. He looked lost and a bit of a mard arse if i'm honest. He spent two or three minutes messing with his boots when he could have been getting into position, got a little knock that he could have simply got on with but didn't and his dive in the area was embarrassing BUT the last twenty minutes does show there is player there. He needs to stay switched on, look up when on the ball and realise he's now playing in a man's team.

In all honesty though, I'd much rather give Bove, Wilkinson's chance - sick of loanees getting the nod over our young lads. Especially one who had a good pre-season and scored a real striker's goal v Bradford.

As for Poleon his debut apart he's offering very little. It'll take time as he's not been playing but the first thing I'd do is switch Forte out wide and Poleon through the middle. Forte is a threat from anywhere Poleon looks lost and isolated out wide.

And why oh why Johnson do you constantly piss about with Danny P? The only time we looked threatening yesterday (pretty passing apart) was when Danny came on, Him and Winchester have been our stand out performers in this run - along with Big George.

Get a striker in with instinct and we may be going places. Bove may be that player and save us a bob or two. Is he ready? We'll never know unless we give him a go...

I do miss your posts.

:censored: hair cut, the music on the video is like what you would hear in tapas restaurant & his name would cos a fortune to put on the my bright yellow away kit..

its a no from me :grin:

Matt Done (a full back) is currently up front for dale... Scored 5, all from open play

I'm never a fan of dropping "ours" for someone else's - unless its for the very obvious reason of they are so much better than what they're replacing.

This lad is raw. Young, inexperienced and has so many elements to his game that need urgent attention before he's fully ready. But he offers something different in terms of his size to what we did alresdy have.

Should we though, be taking on what is a mini development project, and have it play out during competitve league one matches? A mini project that isnt even our own player?

There are 2 young strikers - one the same age and one a smidge younger, who are our players, who are in exactly the same position. They are raw, inexperienced and will be having to learn as they play. I'd personally rsther we focussed on them.

And that before you cover the point that Danny Philliskirk was the one to make way.

All fine with bringing in players if they improve us immediately. Where i struggle to see the logic is in matters like this one; is where we're essentially messing with our squad to develop a Bolton player; while short term, it doesnt appear to be benifitting us in doing so?