If we are throwing non league strikers for a punt.

I'll throw in Alex Teniola Tonbridge Angels.22

He played for them last year, They go relegated, he went to cord Rangers in Conf South, did not work out. Back to Tonbridge and is Ritchie-esque in getting crucial goals or last minute ones. Would need some TLC though.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played for them last year, They go relegated, he went to cord Rangers in Conf South, did not work out. Back to Tonbridge and is Ritchie-esque in getting crucial goals or last minute ones. Would need some TLC though.

Did you see much of Mikel Suarez at Tonbridge Singe? At Stortford now and looking better that I thought he would after an early viewing.

I don't think Teniola would make the grade despite his seemingly high status at Angels. Billy Medlock looks a good finisher and already has double figures but players who can make the step up are so few and far between

If Philliskirk was finishing like he did when he came into the first-team last season, we'd be there.

A tall striker does give us an option, but our best play recently has come through the middle, threading balls through on the break or passing and pressing forward as a unit. We've been playing without wingers and been far more solid and harder to beat as a result.

You don't need a target man to hold the ball up if you thread good enough balls down the channels - and if the opposition keep their full-backs back, we press and win the midfield battle.

In my view an aerial cross is bread and butter for lower-league defenders, even if the striker is tall, but a through-ball and a standing start v Forte or Poleon....

Phiskirk also gives the flexibility of a harder to man-mark forward, and the number 10 role linking the midfield and Forte/Poleon. I accept that's more suitable to when we're playing the break, but if he gets that break I think it'd make a huge difference. Not long ago someone on here said Danny P is our most natural finisher. He can swivel on the last man and be a poacher - remember his goals against Shrewsbury and Preston last season, and how he transformed the game in the number ten role against Mansfield... I hope he's been shoved up top in training and practising his finishing over and over! He might need a goal big time, but he's the one that found the space for chances, and he brings a lot of passing and work ethic qualities to the team.

Danny boy!!!!

First of all l appreciate that it's not my money - but if ever there was an opportunity for us to make progress, this is the season. We have a defence that does not ship goals like they are going out of fashion. We have a midfield, that for all the comments, appears to be able to create chances. What we don't have is a strike force that converts those chances on a match by match basis.

Think of it like this : if we had converted one chance in each of last two away games, we would be sitting in third place !

After Saturday, l am slightly concerned that the powers that be will take the stance " we knew that Philly would come good - therefore we can afford not to splash the cash and wait a few more games to see where we are ". A few more games later, when we have demonstrated pre Saturdays lack of ability to convert chances, we may, just may, then go out and splash a bit more money. Trouble is we cannot buy back those points we may have dropped, and that may come back to bite us in the bum.

I really do think that all the signs ( apart from one ) are that we are in with a real chance of doing something a bit special this season, if only we can find the back of the net on a regular and consistent basis.

I know it is a real gamble, and l repeat it's not my money, but l dread getting to the end of the season, looking back, and saying " if only in Sept / Oct ...... ".

First of all l appreciate that it's not my money - but if ever there was an opportunity for us to make progress, this is the season. We have a defence that does not ship goals like they are going out of fashion. We have a midfield, that for all the comments, appears to be able to create chances. What we don't have is a strike force that converts those chances on a match by match basis.

Think of it like this : if we had converted one chance in each of last two away games, we would be sitting in third place !

After Saturday, l am slightly concerned that the powers that be will take the stance " we knew that Philly would come good - therefore we can afford not to splash the cash and wait a few more games to see where we are ". A few more games later, when we have demonstrated pre Saturdays lack of ability to convert chances, we may, just may, then go out and splash a bit more money. Trouble is we cannot buy back those points we may have dropped, and that may come back to bite us in the bum.

I really do think that all the signs ( apart from one ) are that we are in with a real chance of doing something a bit special this season, if only we can find the back of the net on a regular and consistent basis.

I know it is a real gamble, and l repeat it's not my money, but l dread getting to the end of the season, looking back, and saying " if only in Sept / Oct ...... ".

Think that's the dilemma that LJ has got and it appears there isn't anyone obvious available within the budget Corney has given him...that's why he is taking his time. Maybe he wants someone permanently from another club with the JCH money and is looking to the current squad and maybe a loan to see him through till Jan window.

LJ wants to make sure he gets the right person in as if he gets another Rooney on big bucks it would be a massive waste

We're a right sided midfielder and a striker away it looks to me.

Winchester is doing s very decent job there, but i cant help feel we'd be better served with a "proper" wide player in there.

The striker is the key one though.

Neither Poleon nor Wilkinson look the solution to me. And, whilst he scored his goal from being central, i think we'd lose more than we'd gain in moving Forte from left wing to central striker.

A striker. A proper striker. With decent experience and goals to their name and we could have cracked it. Defence and central midfield look solid enough. Add goals to our side when we're on top in games and we'd kill sides off like Gillingham and Scunthorpe. As it is, its just not quite there.

We need a striker bringing in. One who scores goals. Anyone know any?

Winchester is doing s very decent job there, but i cant help feel we'd be better served with a "proper" wide player in there.

Neither Poleon nor Wilkinson look the solution to me. And, whilst he scored his goal from being central, i think we'd lose more than we'd gain in moving Forte from left wing to central striker.

A striker. A proper striker. With decent experience and goals to their name and we could have cracked it. Defence and central midfield look solid enough. Add goals to our side when we're on top in games and we'd kill sides off like Gillingham and Scunthorpe. As it is, its just not quite there.

Rory Fallon

Browsing through the Championship, looking at who hasn't had much gametime so far and could be fairly realistic, a couple at Leeds in Ajose and Morison, Williams at Middlesborough, Lolley and Paterson at Huddersfield.

Lad at Blackburn who could do a job for us at right midfield, Chris Taylor his name...

If he stays fit, no reason Forte can't get 20 this season. From what I gather he's primarily a winger?, but he looks like he's got all the attributes to be our 'poacher'.

I'm not convinced Forte is a poacher from what I've seen of him so far.He's more likely to create a goal for himself or run onto through balls outpacing defenders to score.An experienced lump of a striker who'll cash in from crosses from being in the right areas at the right time is what we're missing at the moment.

Derbyshire is nowhere near Rotherhams first XI but he'll be on silly money.

Martin Paterson would be unreal, must be injured as it seems daft that Bunn & Stead get picked ahead of him

Martin Paterson is a right good shout.

He was hugely out of favour under Mark Robins, and he got sent out on loan to Bristol City last season.

Chris Powell might rate him and he might be on for more game time; but his first 3 games in charge and its Bunn, Wells, Stead who have played, with the ex-non league lad on the bench.

It would be one of those that were it to happen, it would make total sense to all parties.

Martin Paterson is a right good shout.

He was hugely out of favour under Mark Robins, and he got sent out on loan to Bristol City last season.

Chris Powell might rate him and he might be on for more game time; but his first 3 games in charge and its Bunn, Wells, Stead who have played, with the ex-non league lad on the bench.

It would be one of those that were it to happen, it would make total sense to all parties.

And they've signed Grant Holt