Getting the fans in for the Cup

I know a lot gets said about trying to get the fans in and we have the same debate about why we don't get the crowds like we did 10-15 years ago. But does anyone else think that having a home tie in the 2nd round is a good idea for the club to offer some sort of voucher to allow for priority if we get a big tie in the 3rd round? Or would it not be worth it.

Three vouchers.

Crawley. Preston. FA Cup.

Hold on to them until we are out of the FA Cup and JPT.

If we get a big game three days of sale to season tickets.

One day of sale to three vouchers.

One day of sale to two vouchers.

Open sale.

That might be after both Wembley games. :wink:

While a 'voucher' home game is a reasonable idea for a confirmed home game against United, City or Liverpool it is hardly likely to work on a if and a but concept.

It isn't possible to guess what the gate would have been against Orient if the club had not knocked £7 of every adult ticket but I feel fairly confident that the offer didn't pay its way.

The club have tried many different formats over the years to, IMO, no or very little effect. The £2 or £5 games being the only ones that gave a noticeable increase in the attendance. There was never any evidence at the next game that a new group of fans had been tapped. And £5 is simply financial suicide.

We are just getting going again after having a cripplingly poor product over about 5yrs. I have said it before: it is the product that will drive an increase in the fan base not unaffordable discounts. Maintain the quality of the product and sales will pick up, eventually.

It's also worth remembering that our industry takes some beating for being the most 'unreliable' product on the planet. ask any fan.

Have to remember that there are some complicated regulations regarding FA cup ticket sales, can't be everyone in for £5 as it's £10 minimum. Don't think voucher schemes are allowed for other competitions either. Plus we have to get the agreement of the other side as the gate receipts get split 45%, 45%.

Edited by rudemedic

Don't think there's any point in cutting the prices from what they were on Saturday. More or less the same attendance figure will turn up regardless. If there was to be an offer, I like the idea of tying into the JPT game as well. People need to get into the habit of going to home games rather than just one-offs.

While a 'voucher' home game is a reasonable idea for a confirmed home game against United, City or Liverpool it is hardly likely to work on a if and a but concept.

It isn't possible to guess what the gate would have been against Orient if the club had not knocked £7 of every adult ticket but I feel fairly confident that the offer didn't pay its way.

The club have tried many different formats over the years to, IMO, no or very little effect. The £2 or £5 games being the only ones that gave a noticeable increase in the attendance. There was never any evidence at the next game that a new group of fans had been tapped. And £5 is simply financial suicide.

We are just getting going again after having a cripplingly poor product over about 5yrs. I have said it before: it is the product that will drive an increase in the fan base not unaffordable discounts. Maintain the quality of the product and sales will pick up, eventually.

It's also worth remembering that our industry takes some beating for being the most 'unreliable' product on the planet. ask any fan.

Spot on.

We'd all like to see a fuller BP, but as you say, it never gets off first base.

Some good points made on this, I'd say that by offering a voucher system for this 2nd round game the club worded it to say that it MIGHT allow for priority if we got a big cup tie then I'd suggest they don't have much to lose.

Btw can people stop using the term "product on the pitch" I don't know why but I just bloody hate that term.

Some good points made on this, I'd say that by offering a voucher system for this 2nd round game the club worded it to say that it MIGHT allow for priority if we got a big cup tie then I'd suggest they don't have much to lose.

Btw can people stop using the term "product on the pitch" I don't know why but I just bloody hate that term.

Maybe you don't like the term but that's what it is. The club is not in the business of buying loyalty. They are in the business of selling entertainment. There are an awful lot of other business's out there competing for our £ on match days. How would you like a football match to be termed with regards to a debate on value, discounts, offers and desirability?

There, and I didn't use the word you don't like.

Maybe you don't like the term but that's what it is. The club is not in the business of buying loyalty. They are in the business of selling entertainment. There are an awful lot of other business's out there competing for our £ on match days. How would you like a football match to be termed with regards to a debate on value, discounts, offers and desirability?

There, and I didn't use the word you don't like.

Like I said in the OP, I don't want another debate on why attendances are low because quite frankly it's been done to death on here. I was just making a suggestion about the feasability of a potential opportunity of rewarding the loyal fans with a voucher scheme for this cup match.

I personally go to watch Football for the day out as a whole and one thing I know when I walk through the turnstile is that I am not guaranteed to see us win. The product should always be the sport and not any individual clubs. Of course some people see it differently, which I just find a bit sad to tell you the truth. No team has a divine right to win a Football match, anything can happen over 90 minutes and that in itself should be enough for a lot of people to go and support their team. That is why the game is as globally popular as it is.