• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was a Latics player, and Evans signed, my transfer request would be on the managers table straight away.

How many players would refuse to join Latics if he was at BP?

How many loanees would refuse to come?

None. Many players will have great sympathy for Evans as mamy will have had women target them because they're footballers.

Not saying its right but it's the truth.

One thing we have learned from this is that there is a widespread very liberal/lax attitude amongst young men regarding sexual contact, consent etc.

Some real current and potential pests/ticking time bombs out there for sure, quite worrying.

Edited by deyres42

Would like to understand the PFA's role in this fiasco.

Taylor's statement yesterday was strange, wanting their member to be rehabilitated, the club he signs for needs to be 100% committed, making it public that a club from league 1 was interested, but he would not be attending the press conference.

My understanding of the interview was that he had told the club he wouldn't be able to attend as he had another commitment but that the club had said they would go ahead anyway. However i may be wrong.

Edited by astottie

I can't see how Ed Milliband has anything to say about this that is more relevant than anyone on here. Fair enough people in the papers discussing the matter and the wider issues, but political soundbites don't get us anywhere

Can't understand why it's taking so long, I have an inkling we're going to get him, we're u-turning our original u-turn. Already dreading the "she said no" chants at every away game, the match reports that start "ex-convict Ched Evans grabbed his first goal today."

A disqualification from working with Children is perhaps the main one (may not be an automatic condition). Given that we have a youth team and children attending matches, measures would have to be put into place to monitor him and ensure compliance.

IIRC, There were issues with Gary Madine when he came out, limitations placed on him due to be being on license? Think Rudemedic has already mentioned. Believe Madine had a curfew and as such was unable to play in evening matches; as they went past his court ordered curfew time.

IIRC he missed a number of matches.

Would it not be similar for CE also?

That's not even considering, as mentioned above, the Centre of Excellence and Youth Teams, any Community Work in Schools or Youth Clubs, Hospital visits etc.

I can't see how Ed Milliband has anything to say about this that is more relevant than anyone on here. Fair enough people in the papers discussing the matter and the wider issues, but political soundbites don't get us anywhere

Well he showed himself to be a pleb anyway by spewing up the trite and irrelevant "he's shown no remorse" soundbite. I was under the impression that these political people have advisors to help guard against getting their feet in their mouths.

A disqualification from working with Children is perhaps the main one (may not be an automatic condition). Given that we have a youth team and children attending matches, measures would have to be put into place to monitor him and ensure compliance.

So in effect if there's an under 18 in the first team he cant play?

Remorse is one answer. The fact that Hughes didn't actively bait his victims after the fact is another. There are plenty of reasons.

Indeed. To quote a poster on another message board who says it far better than I could:

Evans could say that whilst he strenuously denies the charge, and strenuously asserts he gained the consent of the victim, the case didn't turn on her word that he raped her versus his that he didn't, as much as in the fact that the victim was unable to give consent.

As a result, his case relies not on whom one believes told the truth, as much as whether one contends that one should never have sex with someone so clearly unable to give consent and that to do so is rape, or whether rape only occurs when the victim clearly doesn't consent to it. The Judge (and the direction of legal travel is in favour of the former) whereas Evans isn't.

Evans could clearly say that this isn't about her without implying that he was admitting guilt. In fact it would be a simple and clever thing to do, befitting the image his supporters present of himself as someone without malice, without issues and without impediment to being re-employed. That he doesn't do something so patently advantageous to both him and his victim tells you an awful lot about him, his case and his supporters.

I can only presume he isn't showing remorse because he is adamant he didn't do it? Would you show remorse to something you didn't do?

Denying everything is often the best tactic when trying to get away with the things you've done.

I am perplexed by what the club is doing at the moment.

This story has been 'live' for over 24 hours now, and each hour sees the pantomime get bigger and more sensational (Mecca Bingo, Milliband, local MPs, the police - even Hudderfield Town match advertising taking the p*ss).

It cannot be that hard can it to make a decision. The longer we drag this out the more damage is done to the club's reputation if we decide (as is now rumoured) to not sign him. If we are going to sign him, then I suppose it doesn't matter but I still don't see the point in letting it drag on into tomorrow.

Specualtion on reasons why this hasn't been sorted:

1) As someone else mentioned, we have signed a deal but now want out and we cannot afford to pay Ched off...the time is being spent on trying negotiate a settlement.

2) We want to sign him, but want to delay until tomorrow to allow the PFA to attend the press conference.

3) We want to sign him, but want to see if the media burns itself out a little overnight (unlikely in the world of 24 hour news and social media)

As for this being different to Hughes signing - I think its a combination of factors:

Hughes apologised and showed remorse, so the 'process' was over. With Ched he is pleading innocence and the process is still ongoing.

Hughes committed a more identifiable crime in some people's eyes i.e. most people will have come close to having a car accident at some stage due to being a little wreckless (speeding, using a phone etc) and the phrase 'there but for the grace of god' could see themselves ending up in a similar horrendous sitation. Rape on the otherhand, has a far more insidious angle to it.

Hughes signing occured before the social media era and therefore it was less easy for people to campaign in the way they are doing today (Twitter is craxy with #oafc).

But in the end, Hughes got a shed load of grief as well. I recall almost every game him getting called a murderer by away fans, and it took sometime for him to win over a good proportion of home fans too.

How many of the vultures outside BP have perfect law abiding lives, or the media people and press in general. or all the public who are condemning us. OK they may not have knowingly raped anyone, but CE doesn't think he has either. There is a lot of hypocrisy being spouted at the moment. I've nothing against him signing if it doesn't affect any sponsorship deals, either current or future. Other problems which need to be addressed before signing CE may be clubs deciding not to loan us players whilst he is with us, and players like DJ may not sign contracts

I don't think anyone has forgot that...

I personally feel that what hughes did once he hit that car is far worse than what evans is supposed to have done. Some are suggesting hughes was ok as it was just drinking driving. He'll have seen those bodies and run off. Far worse.