Danny Philliskirk

After some debate last week about Danny I thought it only fair to look into his stats and see what kind of influence and effect he has on the team, there has been some talk by some fans in recent weeks that he has had a lull in form while others feel he is an integral part of the team both defensively and knitting the team together in attack.

For me the stats although not a true reflection of the work he does for the team are a poor return for a player who plays in either the number 10 or at the head of the diamond in most games, his last league goal came in the 4-1 victory against Coventry on 21st October 2014.

From his 27 games in League 1 this season he has 3 goals and 3 assists, compare that to Daniel Johnson who managed 3 goals and 1 assist in just 6 games for Oldham or 3 goals and 8 assists in just 17 League 1 starts this season, in fact looking at his overall League record with Oldham it makes pretty grim reading. In 65 games played his return is 7 goals and 5 assists.

In response to some of my criticism on here a poster claimed he would be the second name on the team sheet after Liam Kelly but for me the stats just don't back that up, should we expect more from a player playing so high up the pitch? Is it the reason LJ has had a look at Noble, Johnson and now Mellis to spark some life into the team in the final third of the pitch?

What is his best position? For me its probably as the front man but the manager this season has tended to go for a more physical player, it will be interesting to see whether Danny and Mellis can play in the same team as I feel there is only really room for one of them in there but one things for sure a return of 1 in 9 on assists and goals is a very poor return from a player labelled by some as one of our most creative.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is poor, against Barnsley everything broke down with him and he is weak on the ball and in the tackle.

for me he hasn't done enough to start every week. I would prefer to see Winchester at the tip of the diamond, more creative better finisher and better running with the ball.

Interesting statistics, and whilst no player should be judged purely on them it does make you think about what else he offeres the team,

How do the likes of Jones, Kelly and Winchester compare on the stats front?

Personally I think that Danny is a good player, but at present not delivering as much as the rest of the 4 in the midfield and am not sure I fancy him as an out and out forward - think he lacks the pace and/or strength to compete in the situations that Forte/Poleon/Wilksinson/Jabo have provided in the recent months.

Dropping Danny for a period to give him a rest and another player a chance would not be a terrible idea IMO based on what I have seen recently.

The position he plays is the hardest in the team, he has to link the midfield to the forwards. That goes unseen quite a lot. I agree he needs to add goals to his game but not sure dropping him is the best idea. Judging him on the Barnsley performance when everyone was crap is ridiculous.

Agree - cannot judge any player on a one off poor team performance.

But the statistics above are based on a lot more than that. And I would argue that the standard football stat that best measures the sucess of linking midfield to attack is assists - which are reviewed above. Maybe if there are stats that show that we score / create chances with one additional pass from Philly's posession it would give backing to his value in the team.

Based on watching the games recently - I'd say thay I see more value from Kelly, Winchester, Forte than from Philly at the moment.

I dont think Danny is a bad player but he needs to get his head up and play the ball much quicker. He tends to get caught in possession because he takes that extra touch.

One big difference between DP and Daniel Johnson is the speed of thought. Johnson has his head up at all times and see the game in front of him

If Danny can work on this I think it would improve his game ten fold.

Edited by palmer1

Hey Chaddy ender, it was third on the sheet after Kelly and Forte :rolleyes:

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet regarding Philliskirk. At the end of the day, we could pick holes in the performances of all our players not least the present wonder boy, Winchester. Yes,i know he glides past people but, invariably he is gliding across the pitch rather than toward goal before running out of steam on 70 mins.

What does Mike Jones do after the odd decent free kick?

Elokobi and Wilson sometimes look like the keystone cops, Brian Wilson too slow, the list goes on and on.

I just find it odd that you have twice now singled out Philliskirk.

And anyway i like him so there :scarf001:

Danny played better when put up front against Notts County and a great advantage of having him there is that we are less likely to keep booting the ball up field to him. I like him and think he contributes much more than the stats suggest but what the hell give him a rest if the beast hasn't made it enforced. I suspect he is a player that will be noticed more by his absence than his presence.

Agree - cannot judge any player on a one off poor team performance.

But the statistics above are based on a lot more than that. And I would argue that the standard football stat that best measures the sucess of linking midfield to attack is assists - which are reviewed above. Maybe if there are stats that show that we score / create chances with one additional pass from Philly's posession it would give backing to his value in the team.

Based on watching the games recently - I'd say thay I see more value from Kelly, Winchester, Forte than from Philly at the moment.

Until one or more of thems form drops & DP has a good run.

Which will happen.

All of those mentioned will blow hot and cold but ultimately serve us well if given two or three seasons to do so.

They might even become a proper team too if that happens

Edited by HarryBosch

Just for the record Ive no bee in my bonnet I was just trying to find evidence to support my view that he doesnt contribute enough, its my view and some may say the statistics for an attacking midfielder support that, LJ must appreciate the value of him or he wouldnt continue to play him, one thing I would question is the notion that he would be noticed more in his absence maybe on Saturday we will find out.

Does the assist count include how many penalties he's won this season ?

Donny

Fleetwood

Rochdale ( he assisted both DJ's goals that day)

Throw in the seven goals in the jpt too ( 6 last season, one this year )

Stats can get spun .

It's not Fantasy League so penalties won don't count.

And last seasons JPT goals? There is clutching at straws and clutching at straws...

I counted league games only, the JPT is a two bob cup where teams often rest their best players. I think using the 60 odd league games he has played in offers a fair guide of his performances it does stretch over a season and a half.

Whose talking about fantasy league ?

If an assist can be a two yard sideways pass then I'd say winning a penalty is a huge contribution towards a goal .

As for the comments on JPT . there are rules on team selection are there not ? How many players did Preston rest when DP bagged against them ?

Edited by GravityGrave

Really likeable guy and we all want the lad to succeed but he is simply not good enough for a starting spot every week.

We created absolutely sod all on Tuesday night and that's his job. Give Mellis a go in his position and see if it works.

Even though Mellis is not match fit? We have enough that Winchester cannot last longer than 60 minutes