New Manager thread.

None of mine reflect me at all. And the fact that Oldham fans judge his football knowledge and managerial ability off the private accounts of prospective employees is :censored:ing sad.

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general terms...i agree, i wouldn't look into someones social media before appointing.

However, in a position like a football manager who will be representing the club across ALL media, i think its a very important thing to do. He should know this and at the very least have this locked down to the general public.

I for one always have my accounts private in case any potential employer does wish to check. Kelly not doing this strikes me as somewhat stupid.

From his twitter feed.

Darren Kelly

Love this!!

Three simple rules in life.

1. if you do not go after what you want you'll never have it.

2. If you do not ask, the answer will always be no.

3. I you do not step forward you will always be in the same place.

Coaches are only as good as their players.

PhilsCoachingCorner is popular with him.....

not impressed at all....

Seems another soundbite man in the true LJ tradition..how long will he be here before he asks for his next job?

Naive in the extreme.

No, what's naive is to expect that people act on social media like they're at work. ever heard the term "Work hard, play hard?"

Just because someone dicks around on social media doesn't mean they don't take their work seriously, and in the end from an employers perspective that's all that matters. Not meddling and controlling the personal lives of their employees.

The other thing is, if this is true then why are non of the Sports news sites picking it up. They reported that LJ was set to be appointed last time around. The only sites reporting it that I have found is the hopefully 'Always wrong Chron' and MEN

Lol seriously!? There a no words...

Lol. I've got words.... Significantly more intelligent and articulate ones than you can muster.

If SC has decided to appoint this gentleman following a protracted interview period, as 97% owner of OAFC 2004 Ltd, that is entirely his choice. There is nothing you, I or anyone else can do about that. He's been appointing managers for 10 years and so one hopes that experience will bear fruit.

What little we do know about Mr Kelly is that he's a very qualified coach. My concern like many others on here is that classroom coaches lack the guile of an experienced alternative. It was clear to me we needed wingers to get behind Walsall the other week. Nonetheless, I'm no football professional, so I'm willing to give him my backing and wish him all the best.

As a club, we appear either not to be able to afford the experienced alternative, or they are ultimately not attracted my our budgetary constraints. Dowie's interview with the Chron supports the latter. We are therefore left - as we have been the majority of occasions in the last 40 years - with a rookie.

What we therefore need is some stability. A rookie who in exchange for support when he makes mistakes... Repays us with loyalty when things start to improve. Only then will we be able to build something sustainable. I therefore return to my original question, 'Why Mr Kelly did you apply for a job only 4 months after landing you present one?'

No, what's naive is to expect that people act on social media like they're at work. ever heard the term "Work hard, play hard?"

Just because someone dicks around on social media doesn't mean they don't take their work seriously, and in the end from an employers perspective that's all that matters. Not meddling and controlling the personal lives of their employees.

In principal this is right, but when managing people/team it's not. You have to act proffessional otherwise how can your staff/players take you seriously? He's already at a disadvantage of not being known, players who had never heard of him, and they do what week and Google him and find that joke of a Twitter page, can't fault them for moving on if they do, and God help us get players in, no contacts, no credability either, 24hrs later and I still can't get my head around it??

I disagree. It actually tells you a fair bit from an employers point of view on the character you are potentially taking on. Especially anything that crosses the line so to speak.

But it won't tell you the most important thing. Can they actually do the job?

People have dual personalities, work mode/life mode. If I call someone a :censored: on social media, doesn't mean I'm going to go into the office and start doing the same. People are capable of making the distinction.

The more I look at his twitter the more I worry.

Very unwise follows and photos. Clearly likes a dig at the English, no doubt under the guise of 'bants'. Sinn Fein supporter.

Another foreigner who hates England and the English so much he chooses to live his life in England I can accept.

But a Sinn Fein supporter? What next an assistant coach who is an ISIS supporter?

Way to go with due diligence Barry

Edited by Stagger Lee

Yeah I bet loads of football managers have jokes about fat blokes with small cocks, taking a :censored: in nightclubs and pushing a party popper up their wife's vagina.

The guy may say the right things with his modern coaching/motivational guff, but his twitter screams dinosaur.

It isn't appropriate for a football manager. A public figure. I'm afraid different rules apply. And yes, it is naive to think otherwise.

There is no loyalty in football!!

Look at this message board. If there was loyalty in football why the :censored: are so many of you threatening to not go again or not buy a season ticket or send your ticket back?

All based of a rumour...

If he wants to better himself and apply for 'better' jobs why shouldn't he?

Are you allowed to do that in your life? Why can't he?

You ask him why is was disrespectful to Sunderland by looking for a managerial role but and while you do that... Tell him why this message board is so disrespectful to him, his career, his views based off a rumour and a personal twitter account when they know nothing about him

Edited by palmer1

Another foreigner who hates England and the English so much he chooses to live his life in England I can accept.

But a Sinn Fein supporter? What next an assistant coach who is an ISIS supporter?

Way to go with due diligence Barry

James McClean to sign, Gerry Adams new Trust Chairman....

Social media is for jokes and laughs anyway. No one should take it seriously. It's not real life.

None of mine reflect me at all. And the fact employers actually stalk the private accounts of prospective employees is :censored:ing sad.

Without wishing to sound patronising but I'm assuming you don't recruit in your line of work? If I didn't check out such things as social media then my neck would be on the line.

I remember interviewing someone who had an immaculate CV, which I later discovered had been written by a CV writing service, and was leading candidate. It's only when I checked his Facebook, Twitter etc that I discovered that he had certain political and social views that would have been divisive, inflammatory and would have ultimately wrecked the team mentality that we had spent years developing.

We didn't recruit them and later heard that they had been arrested due to those views.

But it won't tell you the most important thing. Can they actually do the job?

People have dual personalities, work mode/life mode. If I call someone a :censored: on social media, doesn't mean I'm going to go into the office and start doing the same. People are capable of making the distinction.

People have been fired for their comments on Facebook.

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/editors-choice/abusive-facebook-comments-led-to-pub-shift-managers-dismissal/108662/

That is one of the cases I know about but I know of others and it is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

....after 4 months? Are you sh1tting me? That's ok for you is it?

I really don't see where you're coming from with this - what did Sunderland think he was getting more and more coaching badges for?

I'll be amazed if they're in the slightest bit surprised or bothered by him apparently being on the verge of landing the Oldham job.

Bemused, like us maybe....

Half, if not more, of their whole coaching staff will ultimately want to manager in their own right, won't they.....?

Yeah I bet loads of football managers have jokes about fat blokes with small cocks, taking a :censored: in nightclubs and pushing a party popper up their wife's vagina.

The guy may say the right things with his modern coaching/motivational guff, but his twitter screams dinosaur.

It isn't appropriate for a football manager. A public figure. I'm afraid different rules apply. And yes, it is naive to think otherwise.

"I don't care if you're obscene, filthy, horrendous — as long as you're honest.” - Bill Hicks.

He jokes about fat blokes and vaginas. He's human. Not a robot.

And what's more, YOU'VE had to trawl through HIS Twitter account to find this bad stuff. He didn't ask you to, you've done it of your own accord. And you have the conceit to complain about the content? It's not your profile, it's none of your business.

If you don't want the guy to manage Oldham, it should be because he's inexperienced and lacks the pedigree for the job, not because he has a difference of views/tastes than yourself which are contained to his private social media profile.

Without wishing to sound patronising but I'm assuming you don't recruit in your line of work? If I didn't check out such things as social media then my neck would be on the line.

I remember interviewing someone who had an immaculate CV, which I later discovered had been written by a CV writing service, and was leading candidate. It's only when I checked his Facebook, Twitter etc that I discovered that he had certain political and social views that would have been divisive, inflammatory and would have ultimately wrecked the team mentality that we had spent years developing.

We didn't recruit them and later heard that they had been arrested due to those views.

Remember years ago when nobody could recruit anybody because there was no social media to scope out there personal profile and gauge their character?

If only there were such things as face to face interviews, eh?!

"I don't care if you're obscene, filthy, horrendous as long as you're honest. - Bill Hicks.

He jokes about fat blokes and vaginas. He's human. Not a robot.

And what's more, YOU'VE had to trawl through HIS Twitter account to find this bad stuff. He didn't ask you to, you've done it of your own accord. And you have the conceit to complain about the content? It's not your profile, it's none of your business.

If you don't want the guy to manage Oldham, it should be because he's inexperienced and lacks the pedigree for the job, not because he has a difference of views/tastes than yourself which are contained to his private social media profile.

Its public domain. Dont you think the media will "trawl" through it. By the way, this trawling took about 30 seconds.

You don't seem to understand that he will now be an ambassador for the club and that such content is way out of line for his position.