New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could get on board with Ashworth, he has had a management career, albeit a bit obscure. This is just nuts though, I have literally nothing positive to say about him. No pedigree, no experience, cringeworthy Twitter account, he's leaving his most current job after 4 months. He shouldn't have even got an interview, let along the job.

The giving him Holden as assistant? Jeez, give him a chance, get someone with some experience in.

Such a massive, and unnecessary gamble.

The more I look at his twitter the more I worry.

Surely PR, Corney and marketing checked out his social media. Its basics these days. Can anyone with Simon's email address bring this to his attention? Doesn't bode well.

You can be sure we've done our due diligence.

.... he's leaving his most current job after 4 months.

This is not lost on me either..... One of the first questions I want asked is.... Did you apply for this job or were you approached on a recommendation? If he answers the former, I want to know why he showed such disrespect to a club that gave him a job that was a clear step up from his previous one? Edited by lookersstandandy

This is not lost on me either..... One of the first questions I want asked is.... Did you apply for this job or were you approached on a recommendation? If he answers the former, I want to know why he showed such disrespect to a club that gave him a job that was a clear step up from his previous one?

Come off it...

The more I look at his twitter the more I worry.

Very unwise follows and photos. Clearly likes a dig at the English, no doubt under the guise of 'bants'. Sinn Fein supporter. Likes the female form and loves a slightly sexist joke, makes him appear a little disrespectful towards women.

Now none of this actually matters of course, its his business... UNLESS you are about to be unveiled as a manager of a lower league family focussed club.

Clean up your twitter you idiot before the press have a field day!!

Surely PR, Corney and marketing checked out his social media. Its basics these days. Can anyone with Simon's email address bring this to his attention? Doesn't bode well.

Really doesn't sound like we have done our due diligence in this case!!

This is not lost on me either..... One of the first questions I want asked is.... Did you apply for this job or were you approached on a recommendation? If he answers the former, I want to know why he showed such disrespect to a club that gave him a job that was a clear step up from his previous one?

Lol seriously!? There a no words...

Oh my god. This is all getting very very silly.

Woke up this morning after 9am and expected it to have been announced already by the club via the backdoor with an official website announcement....no news is good news.

I can only see this appointment going one way...

Johnson wasn't an expected appointment but he had a decent playing history at our level, coaching experience and following in the footsteps of his dad who was already a manager. A grounded bloke, married with kids and a success off the field demonstrating determination, focus etc.

This Kelly sounds like a bit of an idiot on his Twitter feed. His footballing career doesn't really fill me with confidence - lower league centre half with limited ability, took the road of coaching and hasn't held down any role of note or length. Only been in his Sunderland role a matter of weeks before applying for the Oldham job. He wouldn't have made the second stage of interviews if I was recruiting as I always check social media as well as CVs to understand who could be coming into my organisation and becoming a member of one of my teams.

I try to find the positives in everything, Even with Holden I thought he would only be a stopgap but a decent chap and was proved right with his limited success as stand-in manager.

I can't find anything positive with this appointment I'm afraid. I'll love to be proved wrong but if he is appointed, I can only see him here until January and only then when we bring someone in to support him who then takes over. On his own, he'll be gone by November.

Corney has messed up a number of times; this will be the biggest.

Edited by Midsblue

This guy has been cut from the same cloth as Neil Lennon and not afraid to voice his political views in public. Just check his online stuff.

Clearly not the same as yours!

I have no problem with a manager stating his political views - I can agree with them or despise them , and they may make me view him in a particular light as a man that's different as to how I see him as a football manager

It's not an unreasonable question to ask in an interview why you want to leave your current job in fact it is one of the most commonly asked questions.

I don't think this is ridiculous considering the short amount of time he has been at a job less than 5 months when you consider it was a step up from the one he had, he feels he needs a better job again.

It's not an unreasonable question to ask in an interview why you want to leave your current job in fact it is one of the most commonly asked questions.

I don't think this is ridiculous considering the short amount of time he has been at a job less than 5 months when you consider it was a step up from the one he had, he feels he needs a better job again.

I've not got a problem with that bit

Maybe the fact that there hasn't been an announcement means that they are reconsidering

The more I think about it the more I realise that this appointment is wrong on so many levels for us

Either way I will be there next season and will support the manager and team, no matter who it is (even if it is a crap appointment)

Social media is for jokes and laughs anyway. No one should take it seriously. It's not real life.

None of mine reflect me at all. And the fact employers actually stalk the private accounts of prospective employees is :censored:ing sad.

Naive in the extreme.

Edited by kowenicki

If an ex player is coaching and ultimately wants to get into management he will leave for the first job he can get and nobody at Sunderland would begrudge him that, nor should they.

Of all the things that are wrong with the idea of this happening that isn't one of them...

Social media is for jokes and laughs anyway. No one should take it seriously. It's not real life.

None of mine reflect me at all. And the fact employers actually stalk the private accounts of prospective employees is :censored:ing sad.

I disagree. It actually tells you a fair bit from an employers point of view on the character you are potentially taking on. Especially anything that crosses the line so to speak.

What's on his twitter is less concerning to me than the fact he wasn't smart enough to see that some of it probably should be taken down when he knew he was in serious contention...

There may very well be questions around this appointment that I'm sure we would all like to get answers to, hopefully the club will be forthcoming with that over the next few days.

However, none of those should surround the bloke's Twitter feed. Follow any coach to see similar and any adult to find mention of their political views. Get a grip ffs.