£100 season tickets

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the initial price is lower and we end up selling thousands of more season tickets yet taking Slightly less money or breaking even on the current 2400 sales, it's a good thing because the key to any business is footfall the more people in the ground = more money being spent by them people.

Which could lead to us having to increase orders for things like pies again this would give us more negotiation with the supplier because we would be shifting a lot more.

I will put my neck on the line and say if we got 7000 sales an had a similar season to this every single home game would be a bigger attendence than this season.

I wonder if Simon will give me one for free for starting this thread lol (a season ticket that is)

Edited by Aarondo Westy

Most people initially said we couldn't get 7000 fans interested.......if comments on this board mirror a true cross section of the fanbase I think it would be easily achieved.

Anybody negative earlier changed their minds?

I do agree it is bst if it is repeated every year. I guess we won't know if that stacks up finance wise.

Bit of a negative approach to call it gimmick though.

Did/Do Bradford still operate it?

Think they stopped it a while back, went to £200 early bird/£300 after - also did/do a flexicard which guarantees your seat for the season, pay half price on the gate for every game you go.

Got to charge s/t's a nominal fee on entrance otherwise what happens when the holder can't go is that they offer their s/t to a friend/relative for the said match and club misses out on £23 that day.

Got to charge s/t's a nominal fee on entrance otherwise what happens when the holder can't go is that they offer their s/t to a friend/relative for the said match and club misses out on £23 that day.

That is a longstanding issue with season tickets being passed around. I know 3 mates that bought one between 3 of them and they alternate games. In theory if they were £100 each it is the same amount of money but they all get one!

Which is why offering STs at £100 is a good idea because it's likely those relatives would buy ones for themselves.

Think they stopped it a while back, went to £200 early bird/£300 after - also did/do a flexicard which guarantees your seat for the season, pay half price on the gate for every game you go.

Just had quick look, the Season Tiocket is £199, but £110 for 25 year season ticket holders.

The 25 season ticket holders though pre dated their administration and is being honoured.

I can't find how much they cost originally.

It wont work unless you get somebody to sponsor it.
Having 7000 S/T holders at £100 will mean Latics getting appx £500k less through the gate money per season just from home fans.

Even taking into account increased revenue through extra sales of programmes , food etc etc we would never make that up.

There is only one sure fire way of increasing revenue and that is get a decent team on the pitch to fill the ground.

Just had quick look, the Season Tiocket is £199, but £110 for 25 year season ticket holders.

The 25 season ticket holders though pre dated their administration and is being honoured.

I can't find how much they cost originally.

The reality is the product on the pitch and match day experience has got to be good enough to make the offer stick. If we repeat the last 3 years performance on the pitch the likelihood is many will not renew even at £100. So it's important the new manager and team deliver! But also the commercial and marketing team try to add to the experience with other initiatives as we can't guarantee a good team performance!

Having 7000 S/T holders at £100 will mean Latics getting appx £500k less through the gate money per season just from home fans.

Even taking into account increased revenue through extra sales of programmes , food etc etc we would never make that up.

There is only one sure fire way of increasing revenue and that is get a decent team on the pitch to fill the ground.

How did you get £500k? Corney has stated 7,000 @ £100 is doable so I am sure I trust the analysis he has done to make such a statement. We know he is no mug commercially.

I totally agree. I do not have a season ticket, I pay on the day as does my mate so we pay £44 some 20 times in a season=£880.

It doesnt make financial sense but we have a choice each game not to go, for example if we signed a rapist, if Di Canio was appointed as manager, If Barry Blatter is allowed to do anything that he wants-I dread to think!

If Season tickets were to become £100 we would have one each BUT we would struggle to find another 7 people to persuade to get one, they will only be tempted back by success! By the way we never buy a programme dont park on the car park and never eat that crap food-which I gather runs out anyway!

It is not going to happen and Corney knows it full well-we only got 5500 at £5 a game and a lot of those were kids from what I saw

How did you get £500k? Corney has stated 7,000 @ £100 is doable so I am sure I trust the analysis he has done to make such a statement. We know he is no mug commercially.

because 7000 @ £100 equates to about the same revenue as the current 2400 @ £330 ish = appx £700k

We average around 1400/1500 fans per home game who pay on the gate.

These you would assume will buy a S/T at £100 so you loose that cash revenue each game -

1400/1500 paying an average £15 per game over 23 games = £500k

And then sell the manager when were two points outside the play offs?

because 7000 @ £100 equates to about the same revenue as the current 2400 @ £330 ish = appx £700k

We average around 1400/1500 fans per home game who pay on the gate.

These you would assume will buy a S/T at £100 so you loose that cash revenue each game -

1400/1500 paying an average £15 per game over 23 games = £500k

The average on 2400 won't be 330ish as this will have concessions and juniors in too so more like an average of £200-250 being generous...

We can only go off what Corney is saying as he is closest to the operating profits than any of us will ever be abd he said 7,000 is doable.

I didn't hear the section on the 7,000 ST idea last night so cannot be sure how considered vs off the cuff it was - I think we have to consider that it isn't a fully fledged buinsess plan so lets have a bit of a review:

Current Model

We have 2,400 ST holders - there will be a mixture of concessions, adults and early discount purchases in there - so the total income from that would be less than the £792,000 figure, probably nearer £660,000 (assuming a 1/3 concessions).

Last season we averaged 4,400 through the gates, which means there will be on average 2,000 pay on the day entrants. If we assume that the away supporters on average equate to 750, then we have another 1,250 home supporters. If we assume the same concession split as above (1/3) then there is an annual pay on the gate income of £850,000.

So current model equates to £1.5m gate income per annum from league games.

If we assume on average attendees spend £5 on food, programmes and parking (some will spend nothing, some a lot more) then over the course of a season 4,400 average gates would bring in another £500k, making the total revenue equal £2m.

If we assume an average addition

a spend of £5 per person on food, parking, programmes etc (some will spend more, others less but its a guess), then we get another £500,000 - making a total income of £2m.

New model.

7000 season ticket holders paying £100 each = £700,000.

I think it is safe to assume with this offer and the number of people that will not go to every game but might lend it to mates / family there would be no pay on the day Latics fans, but you could still offer it at the current rates of £22 per game.

This is important as it would allow you to continue to charge the away supporters the same as currently, meaning that with the same 1/3 concession assumption they would bring in another £320,000,

The total gate income would be £1m from league games.

However the additional people attending and still averageing the £5 per person, would generate nearly £900k of income, making the total £1.9m

Nothing in it for the club to be honest, especially as the risk is the 7,000 don't always turn up and therefore don't spend the £5. The benefit would have to be based on increased attendances at cup games as a result of increased interest, and increased attendances the next year if prices creep up.

Not sure if I was SC I'd do it. 8,000 as he inititally stated is more attractive.

If we were to do it, then a website like Kick Starter where you pledge and only pay if the target is reached would work I suppose.

Edited by Scapegoat

I didn't hear the section on the 7,000 ST idea last night so cannot be sure how considered vs off the cuff it was - I think we have to consider that it isn't a fully fledged buinsess plan so lets have a bit of a review:

Current Model

We have 2,400 ST holders - there will be a mixture of concessions, adults and early discount purchases in there - so the total income from that would be less than the £792,000 figure, probably nearer £660,000 (assuming a 1/3 concessions).

Last season we averaged 4,400 through the gates, which means there will be on average 2,000 pay on the day entrants. If we assume that the away supporters on average equate to 750, then we have another 1,250 home supporters. If we assume the same concession split as above (1/3) then there is an annual pay on the gate income of £850,000.

If we assume on average attendees spend £5 on food, programmes and parking (some will spend nothing, some a lot more) then over the course of a season 4,400 average gates would bring in another £500k, making the total revenue equal £2m.

a spend of £5 per person on food, parking, programmes etc (some will spend more, others less but its a guess), then we get another £500,000 - making a total income of £2m.

New model.

I think it is safe to assume with this offer and the number of people that will not go to every game but might lend it to mates / family there would be no pay on the day Latics fans, but you could still offer it at the current rates of £22 per game.

This is important as it would allow you to continue to charge the away supporters the same as currently, meaning that with the same 1/3 concession assumption they would bring in another £320,000,

However the additional people attending and still averageing the £5 per person, would generate nearly £900k of income, making the total £1.9m

Nothing in it for the club to be honest, especially as the risk is the 7,000 don't always turn up and therefore don't spend the £5. The benefit would have to be based on increased attendances at cup games as a result of increased interest, and increased attendances the next year if prices creep up.

Not sure if I was SC I'd do it. 8,000 as he inititally stated is more attractive.

If we were to do it, then a website like Kick Starter where you pledge and only pay if the target is reached would work I suppose.

I'm sure there are other tangibles that can be built in for having more fans coming through the door...economies of scale and all that. Buying power - cheaper beer/food prices, command more for advertising/marketing rates etc let alone the value you put on having a better atmosphere/ match day experience.

How good would it be to know most of your friends and family will visit more games improving the experience for everyone.

Edited by Blue_Guru

I'm sure there are other tangibles that can be built in for having more fans coming through the door...economies of scale and all that. Buying power - cheaper beer/food prices, command more for advertising/marketing rates etc let alone the value you put on having a better atmosphere/ match day experience.

How good would it be to know most of your friends and family will visit more games improving the experience for everyone.

There might be. Increased value of any sponsorship deals given increased numbers to witness them being one I missed.

But I suppose I was trying to work out what the economics look like, and I think what it says is that if you could sell 7,000 STs at £100 then the financial outcome for the club is not a clear cut case of it would be fine.

There are some fine lines and margins to judge. I don't know what the average income per customer through the gate the club gets (if its £3 then the case looks poor, if its £8 it looks better), I don't know how many of the 7,000 STs would be attending every game - therefore the income through other means could be less than I assumed.

If SC et al decided to go for it and really push the offer and managed to get 7,000 sold, they would be unlikely to be much better off in terms of cash, but the feel-good factor and buzz might make a difference on the pitch and in attracting players (better to play in front of a fuller stadium with the Athleticos creating a good atmosphere).

There might be. Increased value of any sponsorship deals given increased numbers to witness them being one I missed.

But I suppose I was trying to work out what the economics look like, and I think what it says is that if you could sell 7,000 STs at £100 then the financial outcome for the club is not a clear cut case of it would be fine.

There are some fine lines and margins to judge. I don't know what the average income per customer through the gate the club gets (if its £3 then the case looks poor, if its £8 it looks better), I don't know how many of the 7,000 STs would be attending every game - therefore the income through other means could be less than I assumed.

If SC et al decided to go for it and really push the offer and managed to get 7,000 sold, they would be unlikely to be much better off in terms of cash, but the feel-good factor and buzz might make a difference on the pitch and in attracting players (better to play in front of a fuller stadium with the Athleticos creating a good atmosphere).

Whether it is £100 or £120 there isn't too much in it IMO and there are clear priceless benefits of having a fuller stadium.

The commercial/marketing team have to have a plan for doing something creative for the new stand and new manager. It the best chance they have to attract casual fans in on the back of a better season than the previous 4!

One thing is for sure the usual £330 ST and a new stand new manager alone will be lucky to add 10% new ST deals IMO. We would be Lucky to break 3,000.

And then sell the manager when were two points outside the play offs?

Current Model

New model.

The only caveat to your figures, is the current model for catering makes only a smaller contribution, with the catering company taking a biggger slice for a bigger risk (or no risk, if you don't buy extra pies...). Ta

In the new model, from what has been said, there will be more of an in house operation and more profit opportunity with greater margin, and there is a clear benefit from extra customers. If it carried on being under contract, even with the larger numbers, there will be very little improvement in profit. It needs the bigger attendance AND move in house to ratchet up the profit.

Edited by singe