What would it take for you to want Holden to keep the job?

Matt normally is diplomatic only seen it once before, but I am not surprised. We were diabolical today. Only Poleon showed any effort for me.

Poleon showed bags of effort against Bristol City and was dropped, poor management when indifference rather than hard work is rewarded.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

Each team has experienced slumps during the season. Chesterfield at one point looked out of it, Fleetwood have been below us for long periods of the season, Rochdale were 16th or something crazy like that about a month ago. They are the 3 sides in prime spots now. Teams that we would have put ourselves in with before Johnson left and have been above regularly. Teams that we've got a P5 W4 D1 record against. By saying we never were challengers is to say Chesterfield, Rochdale and Fleetwood were never challenging for the play offs.

Disregarding the Orient result, when there were already rumours Johnson was leaving, we had lost to Colchester while being in 5th or 6th position.

Chesterfield have now won 4 on the spin. 12 in 12. We have got 4 in 12. They are 10 points above us. 7 days ago we were 1 point behind them (I think). It is utterly ludicrous to say we were never genuine challengers, even when we knew we couldn't with Holden we were still legitimately in the running. Who knows what would have happened if Johnson to Barnsley hadn't happened, but I'm convinced we'd be much closer to 6th because while he was here we were always genuine challengers.

I am afraid I agree with Palmer. We were too inconsistent before Johnson left, it was the injuries that scuppered us more than anything. DH has loaned in well, and done OK under the circumstances but it was not on the cards to do a sustained run once injuries hit.

There have been some good games but they are flashes of potential.

As well as a decent striker, we need a winger who can cross, and a leader at the back.

Poleon showed bags of effort against Bristol City and was dropped, poor management when indifference rather than hard work is rewarded.

In fairness, if you stuck me up front I'd show willing.

I'd still be :censored: though.

Next we'll be hearing chants of "sub Dom" from the crowd.

Edited by opinions4u

In fairness, if you stuck me up front I'd show willing.

I'd still be :censored: though.

Next we'll be hearing chants of "sub Dom" from the crowd.

To be fair he was the only one showing any skill, trying to attack make gains, going forward with skill. Head and Shouldes my MOM which says everything.

I do know what shouldn't get him the job, sending a team that was so lethargic out, against a poor side and when we are not mathematically safe.

We were statuesque at the back, dawdled on the ball, midfield battle was won and we got to the pen area relatively easily. But then ran into cul de sacs, shot aiming at the corner flag or a conversion, and barely a cross was made.

I hope today finally makes Corneys mind up, personally I wouldn't want Holden in the job next year. It fills me with as much dread as the time Martin Gray took up the reigns against Charlton when Penny left.

Credit where it's due for the Dale game, the other 2 wins too, although Crewe away was one of the worst wins I have ever seen. also to be fair to him I am not sure many other managers would have returned much more than 10 points in 10 games with the injures we have had, however in my opinion I think it would be more of the same next year.

We need a manager to help us kick on, we have some decent players still under contract next season and with some half decent additions we could have a good season. I dont see that happening with Holden in charge.

Edited by NIKI1234

The bottom line is a manager should have been appointed soon after Johnson jumped ship but, as usual the board sat on their hands and did nothing.

A new man, like a Dowie or Rosler, would have had these players playing hard until the season end, trying to get some momentum for next season and working out squad strengths and weaknesses. Instead we are drifting to a lower mid table place with a number of players thinking of holidays.

This season has been a huge missed opportunity to gain a play off spot, looking at the calibre of teams now fighting for 6th place.

It's got to that stage of the season where I show more interest in championship and league two team results to see who is coming up and down.

Blackpool, Wigan, Millwall

Burton, Shrews, (hopefully Bury over Wycombe)

Not a bad local return for Bristol, Preston, Swindon or MK (hopefully), Yeovil, Colchester and Notts County.

A season that had lots of fans interested for the first time in a while is now one that we can't wait to end. Let's not pretend we were the likes of Crawley. We were genuinely challenging until our manager went after pastures new and the board subsequently gave up.

BP is going to be awfully empty with the extra 3000 seats...

I thought, and still think, things all started going Pear shaped when we went out of the FA Cup and Corney went public about how much of a disaster it was, resulting in 2 good loan players going back to their Clubs,one who wasnt even wanted at his respective Club yet wanted to stay here,the other who is playing a big part in Prestons promotion push.

I thought, and still think, things all started going Pear shaped when we went out of the FA Cup and Corney went public about how much of a disaster it was, resulting in 2 good loan players going back to their Clubs,one who wasnt even wanted at his respective Club yet wanted to stay here,the other who is playing a big part in Prestons promotion push.

I suppose we all have our own view on where and when it started going tits up. For me we need to look no further than the Evans debacle, we should not have even entertained the thought of him joining us, totally split the club in 2.

I suppose we all have our own view on where and when it started going tits up. For me we need to look no further than the Evans debacle, we should not have even entertained the thought of him joining us, totally split the club in 2.

Imagine if we could get a manager who was fully aware of all that had gone on in recent years and made it a remit of his taking the job that there was to be no self inflicted drama on his watch......

No public moaning from SC, a permanently gagged Blatter, no trying to sign convicted criminals.

No cheap entry games either, no gimmicks, just a 100% steady ship from August until May.

It's be interesting to see what a difference it would make.............

It's got to that stage of the season where I show more interest in championship and league two team results to see who is coming up and down.

Blackpool, Wigan, Millwall

Burton, Shrews, (hopefully Bury over Wycombe)

Not a bad local return for Bristol, Preston, Swindon or MK (hopefully), Yeovil, Colchester and Notts County.

It is beginning to turn into Third Division North of its own volition

I totally agree AND I lay all of the blame for that episode at the door of SC

It is beginning to turn into Third Division North of its own volition

Jimmy Armfield was complaining yesterday about missing out on a cluster of Lancashire derbies by being relegated - but there's a cracking chance of it being Latics, Blackpool, Rochdale, Fleetwood, Bury and Wigan next season (can't see Preston throwing it away)...

I totally agree AND I lay all of the blame for that episode at the door of SC

I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories, but here's one... Corney was perfectly happy to not get promoted this year, hence the Holden til the end of the season option and despite all the talk otherwise, too many of the players looking pretty disinterested. If the income for the new stand doesn't kick in til 2016/17 then we'd almost certainly come straight back down if we went up this season. Maybe the ideal situation is to consolidate this season, then get a new manager in the summer, have a promotion push in a still average looking league, steady crowd increases and then Championship in 2016/17 when we might have a fighting chance with increased income?

That's probably much more in hope than expectation though!

I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories, but here's one... Corney was perfectly happy to not get promoted this year, hence the Holden til the end of the season option and despite all the talk otherwise, too many of the players looking pretty disinterested. If the income for the new stand doesn't kick in til 2016/17 then we'd almost certainly come straight back down if we went up this season. Maybe the ideal situation is to consolidate this season, then get a new manager in the summer, have a promotion push in a still average looking league, steady crowd increases and then Championship in 2016/17 when we might have a fighting chance with increased income?

That's probably much more in hope than expectation though!

No chance.

You don't pick and choose if/when you get promoted after however many years it is we've festered in this godforsaken division.

What's that got to do with the title of the thread?

Well I thought it was at least tangentially relevant. Just think how cross the OWTB self righteous wing would be if they wanted to keep him and he declined an invitation