Players and New Manager

Guest Stanley30

Guest Stanley30

I think Kelly is a great appointment and bring a new dimension to our club and will bring a lot of hunger. Although we haven't signed too many players yet, I'm happy that he seems to be managing the budget well and won't be held to ransom. I think hes gonna get the guys he wants in and we could be a real force next year. I am really looking forward to seeing more young lads given a crack and think Tuohy will be given a good crack. Started getting excited now!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kelly is a great appointment and bring a new dimension to our club and will bring a lot of hunger. Although we haven't signed too many players yet, I'm happy that he seems to be managing the budget well and won't be held to ransom. I think hes gonna get the guys he wants in and we could be a real force next year. I am really looking forward to seeing more young lads given a crack and think Tuohy will be given a good crack. Started getting excited now!

All guesswork and exactly the same attributes were given to Dickov and Johnson (before there was any evidence).

It's not that I don't want people to get excited about the current season, that's the whole reason we're here of course! I just don't see how anyone can read anything into next season at this stage. Croft isn't a bad signing and the pursuit of the backup keeper made sense, but they are hardly indicators of success or failure.

Until he at least acknowledges to me the recommendations that were handed to him a month ago by a member of his staff I'll reserve my judgment on what he says.

The same thing happened when a former coach didn't bother to reply to my Duncan Watmore when at Altrincham tip.

I may be old school, but I think it's common courtesy for the manager to thank anyone for taking the time and effort for contacting the club with what may be information of value - whether he acts on it or not.

Joe Royle, a man I greatly admire, wrote a personal letter to me when I passed on information to him back in the 90s.

Have you ever tipped one up that went on to be a flop? Just in the interest of balance.

Many a time Mr Eyres, one lad who was took on as a youth turned out to be a bully and and finished up in prison, another quit to join a pop group, others have flopped for various reasons, it's not always about ability.

It can happen to anyone and you just trust you will be right more often than not.

However, the point I'm making here is it's common courtesy for the person receiving the information to send at least an acknowledgment to the sender.

One in particular I have recommended to him is a young Northern Irish midfielder in non league who I have only seen once and suggested he's invited for a pre season trial. He was released by a Championship club and I believe he could be a gem if given another chance in the FL.

Another is a towering centre back who can't break through at his Championship club, he will in my opinion represent his country in the next World Cup finals.

Edited by BP1960

With respect, I could knock up a list of 200 players and hand it in, wouldn't expect anyone to pay any notice of it though.

With respect, I have worked in a scouting capacity for many top level clubs and big name managers who valued my opinions.

Mr Kelly has my business card should he wish to contact me.

I have sent him 5 names not 200 by the way, so its not too hard to to peruse.

Did you include your address?

Yes Zorro, he has my business card from one the Premiership clubs I worked for many years until my retirement to watch the Latics as a season ticket holder.

I also included an email address.

Edited by BP1960

"gonna sign who he wants." Like Ingram from York you mean?

Until he at least acknowledges to me the recommendations that were handed to him a month ago by a member of his staff I'll reserve my judgment on what he says.

The same thing happened when a former coach didn't bother to reply to my Duncan Watmore when at Altrincham tip.

I may be old school, but I think it's common courtesy for the manager to thank anyone for taking the time and effort for contacting the club with what may be information of value - whether he acts on it or not.

Joe Royle, a man I greatly admire, wrote a personal letter to me when I passed on information to him back in the 90s.

How many recommendations would Kelly get? I can imagine in today's world of agents his phone is melting right now with people ringing him up recommending him their clients.

How many recommendations would Kelly get? I can imagine in today's world of agents his phone is melting right now with people ringing him up recommending him their clients.

But you would of thought he would take more credence in the (I presume quite professionally written) synopsis of a player strengths, weaknesses and potential done by a seasoned (sorry BP!) top level scout who supports the club than an agent looking to line his own pockets?

But you would of thought he would take more credence in the (I presume quite professionally written) synopsis of a player strengths, weaknesses and potential done by a seasoned (sorry BP!) top level scout who supports the club than an agent looking to line his own pockets?

Unless he reads owtb and some of 60's old man stereotypes have causes dk to write off 60 asa reliable talent.

Unless he reads owtb and some of 60's old man stereotypes have causes dk to write off 60 asa reliable talent.

I'm still alive and kicking Monty.

My first recomendation was actually before I was offered a scouting post (the player was bought for £2,000 and later sold for around £600,000) and was informed no club can afford not to check out recommendations from any source. A chief scout I knew called Ian Storey Moore often used to ring me for information. If Mr Kelly chooses not to acknowledge who made them that's his prerogative, but not good public relations in my opinion. I am not asking him to sign them all just check them out.

If he doesnt reply to me before the start of the season I will reveal the names on here and we can follow their progress, I'll also do the same if they move to other clubs pre season.

Edited by BP1960

Generally the things he writes about players on here have been pretty good......not always right but no one ever is

Watch out for Cameron Burgess 19yo giant centre back at Fulham, powerful in the air and a great left foot, he should be well within Latics reach for a seasons loan.

Assuming they qualify I predict this boy will be playing in the next World Cup finals.

Edited by BP1960