Players and New Manager

Guest Stanley30

I think Kelly is a great appointment and bring a new dimension to our club and will bring a lot of hunger. Although we haven't signed too many players yet, I'm happy that he seems to be managing the budget well and won't be held to ransom. I think hes gonna get the guys he wants in and we could be a real force next year. I am really looking forward to seeing more young lads given a crack and think Tuohy will be given a good crack. Started getting excited now!

It took me a minute to decide whether this post was a piss take.

There's absolutely no basis for the statement that Kelly is a great appointment. Any manager should bring hunger, especially one in their first job but it doesn't count for much if he doesn't have skill to go with it. I'm certainly not one who'll criticise him for not having completed his squad building halfway through June but we have no idea how he's managing budget or whether he'll be hald to ransom - these assertions are baseless.

I wish I had your confidence that we'll be a 'real force' but I think everything points to Kelly being a man completely out of his depth and, with a small budget, I think we're in for a long, hard season. Perhaps he'll turn out to have a flair for management and will surprise us all (perhaps not you though! :wink:) but, as things stand, I can't help think it's a question of whether or not he'll keep us up.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please get over yourself BP1960. You're a nobody like the rest of us!

Anybody can watch a few youth team games and right about a few players.

I can't actually believe you EXPECTED a reply from our team manager thanking you for sending an email telling him to look at a few players?! He probably thought it was a piss take!

For what its worth I think BP is write, its only write that when he rights about these players he knows his left from his write.

Bit unnecessary that isn’t it you might not agree with BP1960 I don't always but all he is asking for is a bit of common courtesy, we’ve no reason to doubt he has had involvement in the professional game and he certainly isn't always wrong.

Is this why you appeared to have an agenda with certain former said coach last year, and if Kelly doesn't respond after every defeat or draw are we going to be treated to you telling us how we didn't used to do that in t'old days

Thanks GL, I did have an issue with that coach and it was about the same lack of common courtesy of an acknowledgement, as you know the player I recommended is the same one DK is reportedly trying to bring in now.

I'll continue to post my after match comments as usual, but hope they will be favourable as I'm looking forward to the promised entertaining attacking football.

Thanks GL, I did have an issue with that coach and it was about the same lack of common courtesy of an acknowledgement, as you know the player I recommended is the same one DK is reportedly trying to bring in now.

I'll continue to post my after match comments as usual, but hope they will be favourable as I'm looking forward to the promised entertaining attacking football.

To be fair to them, if that player was Watmore, the club were aware of him before his move (a member of the coaching staff was talking about him in terms of the opposition not knowing what he'd try next). The problem was that, he had long passed being a 'secret gem' as his lucrative move to Sunderland proved. Many other clubs were looking to offer good money to secure him as well.

So? Why do you feel like you have to prove to everyone that you have more knowledge of the game than us, when you don't?

Anyone can scout.

You said I was a nobody, so I gave you a few facts, everybody is a somebody by the way.

I don't think you have a clue what scouting involves, it's not just about players, but detailed match assessments which can take many hours of dedicated preparation.

Edited by BP1960

To be fair to them, if that player was Watmore, the club were aware of him before his move (a member of the coaching staff was talking about him in terms of the opposition not knowing what he'd try next). The problem was that, he had long passed being a 'secret gem' as his lucrative move to Sunderland proved. Many other clubs were looking to offer good money to secure him as well.

You are assuming clubs know about every 'gem' but I can tell you many are unaware of the talent even under their noses, it mainly agents recommendations they deal with these days.

If the club were fully aware of Watmore they could have said thanks for the info, but we know all about him, they didn't do that in his case.

I can also tell you for certain now the club won't have been aware of the non league player I suggested DK look at.

Edited by BP1960

Fair enough.

FWIW from the snippets of the U20s games I saw I was pretty impressed with Duncan Whatmore I would be surprised if we brought him in but would be pretty happy aswell.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Of course I expect a reply, I put a lot of time and effort into the recommendations and outlined my credentials to him.

I won't have it he is too busy at all, it's common courtesy to acknowledge recommendations( whether he agrees with them or not) - especially if trying to make an impression in your first major job.

If the club does read this (which I doubt they will) maybe a message will be conveyed to him.

Having said that, like all of us hope he brings success to the club whoever he signs.

Sorry BP1960 but whether you put a lot if time and effort into the list is irrelevant. Neither DK or the club asked you to spend your time providing the list and while he is trying to make a good first impression a reply to will not effect that only results count.

If there is a player on your list that has not been mentioned and if something comes from that then yes maybe you should get some form of acknowledgement from the club but until then its just a list of names. A list that you cant actually guarantee made to into Kelly's hands.

As for the fans meeting? Of course it was an exercise one that they will repeat and I'm sure if you attend and mention the list of players you may receive your thank you.

Edited by palmer1

Sorry BP1960 but whether you put a lot if time and effort into the list is irrelevant. Neither DK or the club asked you to spend your time providing the list and while he is trying to make a good first impression a reply to will not effect that only results count.

If there is a player on your list that has not been mentioned and if something comes from that then yes maybe you should get some form of acknowledgement from the club but until then its just a list of names. A list that you cant actually guarantee made to into Kelly's hands.

As for the fans meeting? Of course it was an exercise one that they will repeat and I'm sure if you attend and mention the list of players you may receive your thank you.

jesus...

Ignore them BP.

I for one hope you keep trying to help our club and keep feeding us snippets of your info.

Regarding a lack of a reply from Kelly I agree it seems discourteous to not even briefly reply by email to thank you, however, maybe (hopefully) we've got an old school manager with zero interest in any of the technology/office stuff the job provides him with who just wants to get out on the training pitch and manage his football team.

I may be clutching at straws but I'm taking it is as a positive that he seems a poorer communicator than his ultimately unsuccessful, media bollocks trained, predecessors...

Edited by HarryBosch

Ignore them BP.

I for one hope you keep trying to help our club and keep feeding us snippets of your info.

Regarding a lack of a reply from Kelly I agree it seems discourteous to not even briefly reply by email to thank you, however, maybe (hopefully) we've got an old school manager with zero interest in any of the technology/office stuff the job provides him with who just wants to get out on the training pitch and manage his football team.

I may be clutching at straws but I'm taking it is as a positive that he seems a poorer communicator than his ultimately unsuccessful, media bollocks trained, predecessors...

You are right of course Harry, time to let it lie.

Edited by BP1960

Free scouting? Whatever you view of BP1960's posts, he's a fan and bern a scout previously so anything to help improve the club on the field should be commended,

For Kelly to have received BP1960's correspondence and not even acknowledge let alone thank him is downright rude. Not exactly the appropriate action of a manager who's job is to build bridges with fans.

Just my view but I guess I'm old school and despite being exceptionally busy in business myself, I always find time to thank people for contacting me. Just common and decent courtesy regardless of whether you act on that correspondence or dump in the bin.

Not exactly the appropriate action of a manager who's job is to build bridges with fans.

Is it? I thought it was to win football matches.

The fans will love him if he wins and wont care about his email skills

His job is to win games but it doesn't do any harm replying to somebody who is offering to help you out. Thinks just good old fashioned manners.

Of course it is! It's not an email sent asking what his favourite colour is but an email offering some scouting intel that someone took a lot of time to do for the benefit of the club. Kelly was the recipient and it's just plain rude and arrogant if he's blatantly ignored the email...if he received that is.

It takes less than a minute to hit reply and type a one-liner saying thanks for the effort. I struggle to convince myself that such an easy courtesy shouldn't have been afforded to BP1960 regardless of the club's inclination to follow up on the information provided.

But then, one of my pet hates is poor manners - beyond just not saying please or thank you at all, people abbreviating 'pls', 'thx', 'rgds', etc. gets right on my tits, particularly when everything else in their correspondence is written in full.

It takes less than a minute to hit reply and type a one-liner saying thanks for the effort. I struggle to convince myself that such an easy courtesy shouldn't have been afforded to BP1960 regardless of the club's inclination to follow up on the information provided.

But then, one of my pet hates is poor manners - beyond just not saying please or thank you at all, people abbreviating 'pls', 'thx', 'rgds', etc. gets right on my tits, particularly when everything else in their correspondence is written in full.

Thank you everyone for the support.

Edited by BP1960

I was under the impression you gave it to someone else at the club not directly to Darren Kelly's email?

If that's true how can you guarantee he got it? He may not have your email address?

Thank you everyone for the support.

Come on!!! A petition will be under way soon.

I was under the impression you gave it to someone else at the club not directly to Darren Kelly's email?

If that's true how can you guarantee he got it? He may not have your email address?

Come on!!! A petition will be under way soon.

I know for certain he got it, it was given to him in the next room while I was at the ground and I was informed it was placed in his hands, he has all my details should he wish to reply personally or have a member of staff do it for him.

A petition would be ok, but I need a million for it to read out in the House of Commons.