Players and New Manager

Guest Stanley30

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still alive and kicking Monty.

My first recomendation was actually before I was offered a scouting post (the player was bought for £2,000 and later sold for around £600,000) and was informed no club can afford not to check out recommendations from any source. A chief scout I knew called Ian Storey Moore often used to ring me for information. If Mr Kelly chooses not to acknowledge who made them that's his prerogative, but not good public relations in my opinion. I am not asking him to sign them all just check them out.

If he doesnt reply to me before the start of the season I will reveal the names on here and we can follow their progress, I'll also do the same if they move to other clubs pre season.

I do not doubt your ability to spot a player.

I think Kelly is a great appointment and bring a new dimension to our club and will bring a lot of hunger. Although we haven't signed too many players yet, I'm happy that he seems to be managing the budget well and won't be held to ransom. I think hes gonna get the guys he wants in and we could be a real force next year. I am really looking forward to seeing more young lads given a crack and think Tuohy will be given a good crack. Started getting excited now!

I'm right behind him and hoping my concerns are unfounded but that's as ridiculous a post as I've ever read on here. And that's saying something.

I'm usually not concerned about having signed players at this stage and most of the squad is in place anyway, the fact there's hardly any rumours floating about makes for a pretty boring pre-season.

As for D Kelly I haven't a clue how he'll do but I suggest he needs a Dickovesque start to proceedings...

Luckily I miss all but Chester in pre-season meaning I don't have to watch the inevitable procession of trialists that our budget requires. Given our budget is between £1.5 and £1.7M suggests we need to cash in on L Kelly if we want to be competitive.

Scunthorpe's is £4m from their chairman's mouth....

But you would of thought he would take more credence in the (I presume quite professionally written) synopsis of a player strengths, weaknesses and potential done by a seasoned (sorry BP!) top level scout who supports the club than an agent looking to line his own pockets?

That's true but I was playing devils advocate somewhat, I can imagine now is a busy time with recruitment for Kelly and he has t had time to respond to everyone. Who knows he could be looking Into BPs recommendations right now.

No they wouldn't. Don't be so :censored:ing stupid...

dont kid yourself can well remember all the moaning going on v notts county away in 91 you would of though we had just got relegated not promoted the week before

I'm usually not concerned about having signed players at this stage and most of the squad is in place anyway, the fact there's hardly any rumours floating about makes for a pretty boring pre-season.

As for D Kelly I haven't a clue how he'll do but I suggest he needs a Dickovesque start to proceedings...

Luckily I miss all but Chester in pre-season meaning I don't have to watch the inevitable procession of trialists that our budget requires. Given our budget is between £1.5 and £1.7M suggests we need to cash in on L Kelly if we want to be competitive.

I thought ours was slightly less than that. Has it gone up since last season? Read that Port Vale's is around £1.8m, so we're still lagging behind the distinctively average sides of this league.

Since one of Kelly's biggest claims at his appointment was his exhaustive list of quality players he reckons he can bring in, I've got high expectations for these new boys. Primarily, quality in a few positions is needed over quantity, if he can retain the best players, so there is big importance on his transfers to improve the side into something competitive.

Also, isn't the original poster a troll?

Edited by NewBlue

£1.5-1.7M From Corney himself at the awards evenings. If the manager is willing to wheel and deal the budget will be increased. Usually the budget doesn't account for loanees through the season.

I remember Dickov in his first pre-season took a while to seal a number of deals so i'm not panicking we are where we are in terms of budget crowds of 3,500-4,000 shows that as a fanbase we reap what we sow. Yes we could throw money at it but Bury and Scunny will be up :censored: creek soon enough. Two or three quality additions will see us competing in the top half and should we be struggling in January there's two or three we can cash in on to help rebuild again.

It took PNE 4 years of spending year on year to sneak up through the play offs. Same with MK. Sheff United are proof that a massive budget does not guarantee promotion. Swindon have always pushed the boat out yet have been a yoyo club over the last 10 years. If we can keep the nucleus together and keep adding then evolution not revolution may finally see us challenge consistently at the top end. BUT Kelly needs to improve the squad, a sprinkling of yet more loanees is not the way for me - not initially anyway. UNLESS we get them for the full year like we did M'Voto and Tonk a few years back.

I'm not jealous of Bury at all. Two years ago they had the buckets out for the third time in a few years, it'll happen again as spunking a fortune on their crowds is not sustainable unless you have a rich Russian like Bournemouth. The Bury board are extremely naive and a three year contract for Clarke is laughable whilst Pope is hardly prolific either....1 in 3 is decent but if you look closer almost half his league goals came in one season in league two.

All I want to see this year is goals and excitement, anything else is a bonus. I love match days especially away days but the football is increasingly becoming the distraction away from a monumental pissup. I'm excited about the new stand and the match day experience that goes with it but if the season reverts to type like it has since the second half of 2008/09 I've told myself from 2016/17 I'll pick and choose home games. The game has become increasingly sanitised by identikit coaches I hope Kelly isn't another one of those....if he is that'll be it for me in terms of committing year on year to a ST.

All I want to see this year is goals and excitement, anything else is a bonus. I love match days especially away days but the football is increasingly becoming the distraction away from a monumental pissup. I'm excited about the new stand and the match day experience that goes with it but if the season reverts to type like it has since the second half of 2008/09 I've told myself from 2016/17 I'll pick and choose home games. The game has become increasingly sanitised by identikit coaches I hope Kelly isn't another one of those....if he is that'll be it for me in terms of committing year on year to a ST.

Very true if we show desire and willing to fight like the Bristol City away game I will go away a very happy fan and proud. But far too oftener were served up dross like Chesterfield and Walsall. I think last year for the cheapest adult season ticket it averaged out at £10.84 per goal

I do doubt the evolution/revolution school of thought, for the reason it might get you out of this league but you won't get much further. You need sustained spending to keep progressing, look at Brentford and Bournemouth challenging the top of the Championship - wheeling and dealing is likely to give you a season like Yeovil experienced. Then again the sort of reckless spending Bury and Scunthorpe are flaunting probably isn't the answer either.

When you appoint rookie managers you're always vulnerable to seeing the same repeated mistakes and the same naive assumptions that you've seen times before. I don't doubt it will be any different this time around either under Kelly.

I do doubt the evolution/revolution school of thought, for the reason it might get you out of this league but you won't get much further. You need sustained spending to keep progressing, look at Brentford and Bournemouth challenging the top of the Championship - wheeling and dealing is likely to give you a season like Yeovil experienced. Then again the sort of reckless spending Bury and Scunthorpe are flaunting probably isn't the answer either.

When you appoint rookie managers you're always vulnerable to seeing the same repeated mistakes and the same naive assumptions that you've seen times before. I don't doubt it will be any different this time around either under Kelly.

That's why New Stand apart my thoughts about next season to date are simply 'meh'.....

Let's not forget that it is still possible to use £1.7m more effectively than £4m.....

(Granted I'd prefer we had the £4m)

Edited by HarryBosch

The key is we've got most of our squad together and it challenged for the top 6 all season. Scunny had an excellent squad last season and almost went down. Bury need to strengthen as they've been promoted.

If we keep our marquee players and add to that I'll be well pleased. But if we need to wheel and deal I'll understand the need to as well...

I've only skimmed through this thread but it would seem a bit daft that the club didn't act on the recommendations of a former premier league scout. Of course we don't know all the ins and outs.

I agree. Can't say I've ever met BP1960 but to dismiss free advice from a scout that has worked much higher up than we currently are seems ludicrous to me, especially given the club haven't employed scouts for years and have rather, according to Matt Chambers, relied upon the odd tip from people in the manager's network. Even more surprising with Kelly being the first in a while to bring in a scout.