Pre Season Trialists 2015

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson, Dieng, Edmundson and one quality signing is enough for starters, I would much rather we keep the squad intact than have to sell a player to finance a couple of signings, there will be opportunties to bring in a loan or two if need be.

Its enough for a team wanting to loiter in mid table all year. Wilson needs an experienced head next to him, he still hasnt grown up. Dieng is steady but average at this level, and can be found out quite easily, and our back up is a kid whos never played, and was originally released wasnt he? The one quality signing would have to be Ramos to sort that position out? We need at least 2 centre halves, one excellent on a bit of brass, and one with bags of experience but cheap aka Lockwood, and then probably a loanee to provide enough cover

Edited by youngen

That would leave us with 6 centre backs.....

We need no more than four, if injuries hit get someone in on loan short term. Just because edmundson is young doesn't mean he's useless, tarky was our best player a year after coming into the team.

I think people have unrealistic ideas of the size of squad we can afford. I find it refreshing we're going to rely on our youth as back up where possible. Game time is worth far more than any coaching or training they'll receive.

I'm wondering why it's gone so quiet on Cornell. I know Kelly seemed confident the other night about signing him, so what's the hold up? If he signs, plus a centre back, then I reckon we're maybe one signing (backup defensive cover, perhaps on loan) away from a reasonable squad.

We need no more than four, if injuries hit get someone in on loan short term. Just because edmundson is young doesn't mean he's useless, tarky was our best player a year after coming into the team.

Edmondson is very promising & improving all the time but realistically, he'll be one that's sent on loan to play mens football at a lower level first rather than being part of a matchday squad at the moment. He's still only 17.

I think people have unrealistic ideas of the size of squad we can afford. I find it refreshing we're going to rely on our youth as back up where possible. Game time is worth far more than any coaching or training they'll receive.

6 CBs, where one is a kid (likely to need a loan deal) and one is actually a midfielder is exactly what we need. I like him but Dieng shouldnt be near the first team if we are going to challenge.

Dieng has a lot of potential. Our best run last season was with him and Wilson at the back together (two players with composure who can pass a ball). I have no issue with these two starting the season together, given the evidence it's seems odd people have so little confidence in him. Edmundson may go out on loan but I don't see the problem with him getting game time with us in jpt or when we have a a lot of injuries. This is how Chris Taylor progressed so quickly, same for Eardley, same for Tarky. If he's physically up to it he could do fine. We don't have the money to have multiple seasoned pros warming the bench for every position, that's not realistic.

Its okay sending kids out to play men's football but not when its teams like Hyde and Colwyn Bay, I'd say Bove and Truelove both regressed last season because of poor loan moves.

If your going to bring youth through you need a reserve team, we suffered badly last season through this ill thought out decision. First year pro's had nowhere to play their football and experienced pro's coming back from injury invariably had to get match fit during games. Its at best described as short sighted and we have plenty of confidence players like Poleon, Turner, Philliskirk, Dieng, who would of benefited from game time midweek against easier opponents.

Dieng has a lot of potential. Our best run last season was with him and Wilson at the back together (two players with composure who can pass a ball). I have no issue with these two starting the season together, given the evidence it's seems odd people have so little confidence in him. Edmundson may go out on loan but I don't see the problem with him getting game time with us in jpt or when we have a a lot of injuries. This is how Chris Taylor progressed so quickly, same for Eardley, same for Tarky. If he's physically up to it he could do fine. We don't have the money to have multiple seasoned pros warming the bench for every position, that's not realistic.

Exactly.

Chuck them in.

Taylor & Tarky quickly became our best and most saleable player.

Winchester also to a lesser extent.

We should always be giving at least one "kid" a run in proper games in my opinion.

They're often a breath of fresh air too. Bove & Tuohy for example in the last game of last season. They actually played a bit of football which we'd been deprived of for several months.

Exactly.

Chuck them in.

Taylor & Tarky quickly became our best and most saleable player.

Winchester also to a lesser extent.

We should always be giving at least one "kid" a run in proper games in my opinion.

They're often a breath of fresh air too. Bove & Tuohy for example in the last game of last season. They actually played a bit of football which we'd been deprived of for several months.

If we are giving kids a chance, Bove should be first as hes been in and around the team for a couple of seasons now, like Truelove. Edmundson is 17, was released and re-signed. He will be nowhere near ready for being a semi regular, and will feature in a JPT game and a nothing game at end of season this year after a loan spell at Barrow.

Not aimed at the poster, but can anyone on here say they would be happy if Wilson gets injured, and we start the season with Dieng and Edmundson at CB?!

I don't think anybody Is advocating that youngen. We need one experienced/solid defender who can rotate or challenge the two we have. Edmundson is fine as fourth in line. A loanee will likely only be somebody elses young inexperienced player which benefits us relatively little short term and nothing beyond that.

Must be keeping Addison well under the radar because I haven't seen him mentioned from the more 'official' sources.

Mentioned at the end of June. The Gerrad news may have overshadowed him a bit

Twitter murmurings that Miles Addison & Anthony Gerrard are on "trial"...

Oldham Athletic have taken defenders Miles Addison and Anthony Gerrard on trial. #oafc

Edited by singe