That's my point Lags. Baxter played a full season with Tranmere at this level and did nothing, they didn't want him and he took his time to get going with us.He was something special at this level for us, I'm not sure that's true anymore 18 months later but what's to say Green won't turn out to be much better? Let's hope. It will be interesting finding out.

Green has it in his locker. He does have that extra bit of skill/flare. You could see that from one half yesterday. Needs to learn how best to use it yet.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green has it in his locker. He does have that extra bit of skill/flare. You could see that from one half yesterday. Needs to learn how best to use it yet.

Yeah I think DK said as much in a recent interview. He needs to use his talent in the right way and learn to play with the team or words to those affect.

Edmondson not worth a crack in the first team?

If he plays/plays well against Bolton and Blackburn then i'd give him a go.

Also depending on Gunning signing.

All for promoting youth but the flip side is whether it is unfair to expect him to be able to cope with the physical demands of playing centre half against seasoned league centre forwards when he's apparently still too young to wear Sky Bet badges on his shirt.

Will hopefully turn out to be a star for us if we develop him sensibly & fairly as we ultimately did with Tarkowski.

Edited by Twisbrogan

Edmondson not worth a crack in the first team?

If he plays/plays well against Bolton and Blackburn then i'd give him a go.

Also depending on Gunning signing.

I think it may be too soon for him. He's looked good but he he would benefit developing on loan. If not I'm sure he will cup games

It took Baxter more than a handful of games to produce anything for Latics. Give the lad time eh?

Of course Baxter is better he has over 100 league games under his belt. This lad has 5.

Didn't Baxter score on his debut alongside Derbyshire?

Not right to expect that much from Green. He's a year or two younger than Baxter was when he joined Latics. He's a project. That does not validate Kelly giving Danny Philliskirk starts, however

Edited by NewBlue

I think it may be too soon for him. He's looked good but he he would benefit developing on loan. If not I'm sure he will cup games

Yeah I agree - I'd be looking to get him out on loan in league two if possible, as opposed to the usual Barrow loans that we've seen in the past.

Didn't Baxter score on his debut alongside Derbyshire?

Not right to expect that much from Green. He's a year or two younger than Baxter was when he joined Latics. He's a project. That does not validate Kelly giving Danny Philliskirk starts, however

Agreed.

What will validate him being picked is that weve had three managers who all pick him. Further validation comes from the 'hes :censored:' brigade who regularly highlight how good a player is by saying he isnt.

File away in the cabinet above us with Eardley, Furman, Davies, OGrady, Johson, Tierney, etc,,

Agreed.

What will validate him being picked is that weve had three managers who all pick him. Further validation comes from the 'hes :censored:' brigade who regularly highlight how good a player is by saying he isnt.

File away in the cabinet above us with Eardley, Furman, Davies, OGrady, Johson, Tierney, etc,,

He's not :censored:, he just doesn't do enough. He is a manager's dream because he is a statto's dream. When it comes to actual contributions to like, goals and stuff, they're far too rare for a man in the Baxter position. Compare him to Baxter or Harkins and he pales.

I wouldn't want him gone because he's not bad at football and I know he can be good sometimes and he's a local lad but if you're comparing him to those players, who have made stellar careers in the Championship, can you say he's shown anything to indicate he could perform at that level? I may be wrong but I don't see him succeeding anywhere above League 1. He is good but limited, whether that's by the way he tries to play or by his ability, he currently doesn't show enough.

Pretty sure he scored around 10 and assisted a similar amount? More than 20% of the teams total for the season.

Scored 4 league goals in 43 games. Assisted 8.

Jose Baxter: 39 games scored 13 and assisted 6, in a worse team.

Harkins: 23 league games 5 goals 5 assists, in a much worse team

Philliskirk had a very promising first full season in 13/14. He was really disappointing last time out. I hope he figures out what he needs to change in his game, because there's a really good player in there.

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk//news/article/training-ground-work-paying-off-for-kelly-2556555.aspx

On another note, one or two people weren't impressed with some of Darren Kelly's interviews so far, suggesting he didn't put his thoughts across very well. I reckon he does in his latest one, hope it pleases the hard to please ;)

Edited by Simpo

Scored 4 league goals in 43 games. Assisted 8.

Jose Baxter: 39 games scored 13 and assisted 6, in a worse team.

Harkins: 23 league games 5 goals 5 assists, in a much worse team

So, around 20% of the team total then, like I said?

Thanks for that.

Are you really invoking Pawels Law to poo poo Philiskirks record whilst comparing to Jose Baxter?

What an idiot.

Showing your idiocy in claiming Philliskirk could make it in the Championship. As in he isn't capable of producing goals in open play.

There is skill in having to put away a penalty when called upon. Falling over in the area isn't anything worthy of credit.

Yeah he's alright at League 1 level but he isn't anything special, and nowhere near Championship quality

Edited by NewBlue

Never claimed anything. Im having a go at people like you who just criticise our better players.

But yeah keep comparing players we can afford to those that we cant in order to justify yourself. I'll just keep backing them, spesh if theyre responsible for 20% of our goals.

Never claimed anything. Im having a go at people like you who just criticise our better players.

But yeah keep comparing players we can afford to those that we cant in order to justify yourself. I'll just keep backing them, spesh if theyre responsible for 20% of our goals.

I'd have an issue with somebody criticising Winchester, but Philliskirk is questionable. If he picks up form like Winchester did then I wouldn't say anything.

It's not about who we can and can't afford. Baxter was affordable and he grew into a player that wasn't. Tarkowski did. Winchester will do the same. Philliskirk hasn't shown improvement like either of those. Maybe this is his year, but last year certainly wasn't, and when you're a first teamer who could be replaced then you're there to be questioned.

Showing your idiocy in claiming Philliskirk could make it in the Championship. As in he isn't capable of producing goals in open play.

There is skill in having to put away a penalty when called upon. Falling over in the area isn't anything worthy of credit.

Yeah he's alright at League 1 level but he isn't anything special, and nowhere near Championship quality

There are worse in the Championship..they aren't all superstars in that division.

There are worse in the Championship..they aren't all superstars in that division.

I don't know, it's a big step up...

A lot bigger than League 2 to League 1.

When players like Ben Pringle, who dominated this league with Rotherham, struggle to make the transition upwards you know it's a solid level above

I don't know, it's a big step up...

A lot bigger than League 2 to League 1.

When players like Ben Pringle, who dominated this league with Rotherham, struggle to make the transition upwards you know it's a solid level above

Many players relegated from the Championship finish up in Division One, so are they better then than those promoted from Division One to the Championship?

Philliskirk had a very promising first full season in 13/14. He was really disappointing last time out. I hope he figures out what he needs to change in his game, because there's a really good player in there.

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk//news/article/training-ground-work-paying-off-for-kelly-2556555.aspx

On another note, one or two people weren't impressed with some of Darren Kelly's interviews so far, suggesting he didn't put his thoughts across very well. I reckon he does in his latest one, hope it pleases the hard to please ;)

I'm one of the ones who wasn't impressed with his interviews. Have to say that the one after the Stirling game is a big improvement on his previous ones. Hopefully its just been down to nerves