Who's leaving?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Green talking about securing a move upwards and he's not even played a game yet for the club

It doesn't surprise you that fans aren't that arsed anymore when the team are a bunch of mercenaries

Salaried employee not born in area on a fixed contract already looking at next role shocker.

Premature yes. Slightly unprofessional maybe. Mercenary? No more so than the rest of us.

Edited by Crusoe

I'll put on record that selling Poleon for £50k - or something of that sort of money - would be spoken alongside the other big transfer mistakes the club has made in recent times. In the future we will look back on it as a moment of madness in the face of desperation.

Additionally, selling to fund bringing in a loanee and a 35 year-old that won't play most games would make it even more scandalous.

Salaried employee not born in area on a fixed contract already looking at next role shocker.

Premature yes. Slightly unprofessional maybe. Mercenary? No more so than the rest of us.

Didn't the fact I said he's not the only one imply it's not uncommon... He doesn't have to have a link to the town to play for his team.

Wouldn't it be better if he'd said 'I'm trying to get to the next level with Oldham Athletic'? Maybe if these players were genuinely playing for the team and not themselves, like this interview shows Green does, we'd stand a chance against the bigger clubs

Edited by NewBlue

Didn't the fact I said he's not the only one imply it's not uncommon... He doesn't have to have a link to the town to play for his team.

Wouldn't it be better if he'd said 'I'm trying to get to the next level with Oldham Athletic'? Maybe if these players were genuinely playing for the team and not themselves, like this interview shows Green does, we'd stand a chance against the bigger clubs

Maybe he is just a 19 year that doesnt realise everything he says will be analysed and scrutinised to ridiculous level by sad Oldham fans who seem to look for every opportunity to moan about something.

If he said he joined Oldham because he wants stability in league 1 for a few years there would be post about his lack of ambition.

Some people need to realise that these players are kids and what they say shouldn't be taken so seriously.

And logically if he moves on it means he has done well for us. Win! Win!

Maybe he is just a 19 year that doesnt realise everything he says will be analysed and scrutinised to ridiculous level by sad Oldham fans who seem to look for every opportunity to moan about something.

If he said he joined Oldham because he wants stability in league 1 for a few years there would be post about his lack of ambition.

Some people need to realise that these players are kids and what they say shouldn't be taken so seriously.

And logically if he moves on it means he has done well for us. Win! Win!

Maybe he could've said 'I want to win things with Oldham' and that would've been that

I don't think it's looking into things too much to see that players aren't arsed about winning stuff with the team anymore either, I'd say it's one of the most blatant observations somebody could make after watching the team a few times

Edited by NewBlue

Maybe he could have said the things you wanted to hear but he didn't.

Maybe you could have not judged a player at a new club instead of calling him a mercinarie based of something he did or didn't say.... but you didnt.

Maybe he could have said the things you wanted to hear but he didn't.

Maybe you could have not judged a player at a new club instead of calling him a mercinarie based of something he did or didn't say.... but you didnt.

As a result of the things he said, which nobody wants to hear, I'm calling him a mercenary...

I don't really think it's a stretch to call him one given what he said

I find this hypocrisy funny from one of Johnson's biggest abusers on this board

As a result of the things he said, which nobody wants to hear, I'm calling him a mercenary...

I should imagine lots of young League One players aspire to play at a higher level, where the rewards are better. I don't have a problem with it and player development to sale has been the model for the club (and many others) for as long as I remember.

However, if you're being really picky about it & really want to analyse the musings of 19 year old, when he talks about playing at a higher level he doesn't preclude that from being with us.

One of Johnsons biggest abusers...Really?

I may have insinuated he was a dwarf or I think I referred to him a :censored: nuggett or something along those lines for leaving our club for a 'bigger club' while proffesing his love for everything Oldham but while he was here he had my 100% support and I never posted a bad word about him.

You are slagging a lad before he has even kicked a ball in a league fixture because he hasn't commited his future and life to the club in one interview.

I want every player to move on to 'bigger clubs' it means they have done well here for Oldham. I don't think that means they are mercenaries.

Maybe he could've said 'I want to win things with Oldham'

If he had said that I'd have fastened his coat at the back and put him in the correct ward at the hospital myself. The only time we'll win anything is if the backroom staff have a lottery syndicate. I've supported this pissing club since I was about 7, I'm 41 now and we've won something once and that was when we had a plastic pitch and had stuck by a manager who built and built and built.

From a reliable source (He He)!

Sale agreed for somebody most probably a central defender!!!!!!! FFS

That makes sense, our most saleable players are James Wilson or Kelly. We'd probably get more for Wilson and he'd be easier to replace. We really could do with that backroom staff syndicate coming up trumps soon and at least one of them being mug enough to throw a bit at the club.

If he had said that I'd have fastened his coat at the back and put him in the correct ward at the hospital myself. The only time we'll win anything is if the backroom staff have a lottery syndicate. I've supported this pissing club since I was about 7, I'm 41 now and we've won something once and that was when we had a plastic pitch and had stuck by a manager who built and built and built.

That makes sense, our most saleable players are James Wilson or Kelly. We'd probably get more for Wilson and he'd be easier to replace. We really could do with that backroom staff syndicate coming up trumps soon and at least one of them being mug enough to throw a bit at the club.

'Wilson would be easier to replace'

If that's the case why has it took this long to find HIM a CB partner.....a 20 year old rookie at that and with no experience of league football at all!

"Then down the line if I can get a move again, to a higher level, then that is what I am pushing on to do.”

I think it's a stretch to call him a mercenary off the back of that. I got from that interview that he wants to play at the highest level, and he's going to get his head down and work hard to get there.

Fair play to the lad. It can only benefit us one way or another if he achieves it.

3rd Division centrebacks are ten a penny, we watch two each week nullifying our forwards. I'd rather Kelly wait until the players get that bit more desperate for a contract, you'll pay more in wages for a player signed with weeks to go compared to days. Plus, the agents will start to get twitchy that they won't be getting their cut of a signing on fee soon. A CB can fit into a side easier than a club captain, fulcrum and main driving force that Kelly currently is.

Or we do go into the season with Edmondson as a first team player, sink or swim lad. If he swims then we can cash in on him next summer or the one after.

Not sure there's anything wrong with being a "mercenary". It's a career, players are going to go where the money and prospects are the best, just like most people with normal day to day jobs. If you want players who care more passionately about the club, kiss the badge when they score then we need to improve our youth development. As long as we're only bringing through a good player every 3 or 4 seasons then we're going to have to carry on signing these career "mercenaries".

Not a fan of his then?

I just think it's highlights how much we've regressed, for large parts of last season he could barely get a game, especially when we were on form. Most people weren't really arsed about him.

Now we fear his departure.

Grim.

Come on, we've seen the likes of Brentford, Yeovil, Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Colchester, Peterborough, Doncaster to name a few go past us in the course of about 5 years. Naturally our own fans aren't going to believe we can go up but the pissing players should!

And if of the whole crop James Wilson was the only player sold before September 1st I would be delighted!

One of Johnsons biggest abusers...Really?

I may have insinuated he was a dwarf or I think I referred to him a :censored: nuggett or something along those lines for leaving our club for a 'bigger club' while proffesing his love for everything Oldham but while he was here he had my 100% support and I never posted a bad word about him.

You are slagging a lad before he has even kicked a ball in a league fixture because he hasn't commited his future and life to the club in one interview.

I want every player to move on to 'bigger clubs' it means they have done well here for Oldham. I don't think that means they are mercenaries.

But Johnson did well for Oldham - we're in a better place than we were when he joined the club - do you view that as a 'Win Win' too?

I don't want to single Green out particularly, as, like I've already said, I believe most players see the club in the same way. As others have said, it is understandable they do, but it's not really something you relish hearing as a supporter.

The fact that they play for the club doesn't blind me into thinking they're any different to any other person. Although I don't think it's a healthy mindset to have when entering a team. Surely if you're more concerned about getting a move and impressing as an individual then you'll be less concerned about working for the team and ultimately 'winning' isn't as important as playing well yourself. We repeatedly complain about that element of having loans.