Stop The Rot ... Corney Out

cock ups....missed targets....bad appointments.....even worse appointments....no money....no land....late payment of wages.....rotten to the core.....this will still be our club long after he has made a :censored:ing pigs ear of it and left.......so what do we do?....what are the answers?...how can we make our club a viable business opportunity & a success where corn£y has so far failed?....

We can stand for something - giving youth a chance, attacking football, family club, whatever. We can have ambition - a "can do", not "only do it if it's cheap" mindset.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD getting hit harder still.

Friday's Guardian front page - Sports Direct: ‘the firm that is a scar on British business’ #tomorrowspaperstoday

CV5ZPncWwAALQ0a.jpg

Stitch's problem was he was so bloody injury prone he would have hit 200 goals if he'd been fit he missed most of the back end of 89/90 and plenty of 90/91 with a plethora of pulls and strains and most of 91/93 with his back problems.

He's a God in my eyes by just how good he and we could have been with him out there every week is frightening. Ironically he ousted nearly every week in his last two years after his back was fixed but by then she was catching up. For pure class he's the best I've ever seen.

So in retort to your question I think his injury record would have put many suitors off and we had him tied down on consecutive long term deals back in the day when we had a game plan.

How Bull went to Italia' 90 ahead of stitch is a travesty. He was the best striker in the country 89/90 the second division was no real drop back in those days he was as good as if not better than many of them chosen.

Edited by oafcprozac

I was a bit too young to fully remember/appreciate the glory years. Did we ever receive any bids for stitch?

IIRC we rejected a bid of £350K from WBA for Stitch.

As Prozac says his injury record may have put many off and without wishing to name drop( :grin: ) I was talking to Jon Hallworth once who told me that Stich was pretty much told by Graham Taylor I think it was that he lacked a yard of pace to be considered by England. Ridiculous really as he has twice the amount of skill as Steve Bull and had played at a consistently higher level.

IIRC we rejected a bid of £350K from WBA for Stitch.

As Prozac says his injury record may have put many off and without wishing to name drop( :grin: ) I was talking to Jon Hallworth once who told me that Stich was pretty much told by Graham Taylor I think it was that he lacked a yard of pace to be considered by England. Ridiculous really as he has twice the amount of skill as Steve Bull and had played at a consistently higher level.

Not sure about the WBA offer but I read that we were on the verge of signing a striker from WBA but it fell through at the last minute so we went for Ritchie instead who was our 2nd choice. I'd never heard of the other lad...

Big cf for Watford wasn't he? Not unsuccessful

Yeah apparently scoredtheir winner in the 84 FA Cup Semi & lost part if an ear as a result (see below)

George Reilly (born 14 September 1957 in Bellshill) is a former Scottish footballer. He played for Corby Town, Northampton Town, Cambridge United, Watford, Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion. Reilly scored the winning goal for Watford against Plymouth Argyle in the 1984 FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park and played in the 1984 FA Cup Final itself. In 2003, nearly 20 years later, Reilly was working as a bricklayer on a building site in Corby when he was attacked by another worker who bit part of his right ear off, before whispering "Plymouth" in his other ear by way of explanation.[citation needed]He played as an attacker.

Edited by palmer1

Not sure about the WBA offer but I read that we were on the verge of signing a striker from WBA but it fell through at the last minute so we went for Ritchie instead who was our 2nd choice. I'd never heard of the other lad...

It was George Reilly a done deal he reneged and Joe signed Frank Bunn instead - November 1987. Stitch was signed to replace Ron Futcher after his initial replacement has been a disaster - Ormondroyd returned to his parent club.

It was George Reilly a done deal he reneged and Joe signed Frank Bunn instead - November 1987. Stitch was signed to replace Ron Futcher after his initial replacement has been a disaster - Ormondroyd returned to his parent club.

I stand corrected cheers Prozac,

I bet he regretted turning us down in the end...

• 3 weeks later...

sports direct profit warning.......looks like corney got in to bed with the wrong partner.....cheers simon.......

http://www.cityam.com/231966/sports-direct-issues-profit-warning