3 games 3 draws

It's not worth trying to extract the future from the past as far as managers go.

Three of our four most successful post war managers were rookies, one wasn't

Three had been internationals , one wasn't

Two had played at the level at which the club were at, two hadn't

One had been a player with the club before becoming manager. Three hadn't

Make of that what you will

Surely it's a blend of understanding the game, excellent man management, and first rate leadership (and different situations call for different styles of leadership ) . Plus good fortune,

With Dunn we don't know what we're getting but to vilify him now says more about those doing it than him.

The managers? Hardwick Frizzell Rowley Royle

Edited by LaticsPete

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not worth trying to extract the future from the past as far as managers go.

Three of our four most successful post war managers were rookies, one wasn't

Three had been internationals , one wasn't

Two had played at the level at which the club were at, two hadn't

One had been a player with the club before becoming manager. Three hadn't

Make of that what you will

Surely it's a blend of understanding the game, excellent man management, and first rate leadership (and different situations call for different styles of leadership ) . Plus good fortune,

Wine managers? Hardwick Frizzell Rowley Royle

Now let us know the unsuccessful managers stats Pete? :mmm:

There's no will to go out and win a game we were happy with the point that equaliser was always coming it's now 1 win in 18 (20) inc the cups or going back to Valentine's Day 4 wins in 29 this squad should be doing better but they're playing within themselves there's no onfield leader and the easy sideways or backwards pass is the our only option this lot of weaklings take. Corney's reaping what he has sowed the rot set in when he took the cheap option in February

Every game is Groundhog Day.....

Best post this week, echo this..

It is difficult to criticise a manager who tells you what he is going to do and then does it beyond criticising his intention. Hard to beat is what he said and hard to beat is what we have got so far. The next stage is to turn hard to beat into wins. If the wins don't come then we can and will criticise but this manager didn't pick the squad he got and didn't have a preseason with them. Give him the time he deserves.

I also suspect our players are tired because they have been asked to change tactics and will have been drilled in those tactics. When they can do what he wants we should see more energy. There is no reason why we shouldn't go on to draw away at Gillingham and that would be another good result.

On the 10th February we were top 6.

Johnson left two weeks afterwards.

Who knows what would have happened if he his head hadn't been turned...

Yeah who knows but 1 or 2 weeks in the top 6 mate is not long enough. 3 wins puts us in the top 6 now does that mean we are top 6 material?

We were and still are mid table material that did and maybe will flirt with bottom and top 6. Very early days....

Yeah who knows but 1 or 2 weeks in the top 6 mate is not long enough. 3 wins puts us in the top 6 now does that mean we are top 6 material?

We were and still are mid table material that did and maybe will flirt with bottom and top 6. Very early days....

A defeat Saturday and results going against us could see us go second bottom, will that mean we are second bottom of the table material?

A defeat Saturday and results going against us could see us go second bottom, will that mean we are second bottom of the table material?

No it will mean we are currently 2nd bottom but will work our way up.

You can't wait can you? Gillingham beat us & you'd be happy, then you keep going on about Dunn. You're like one of the fans I just mention on another thread.

I even said we may flirt with bottom 6.

Edited by palmer1

No it will mean we are currently 2nd bottom but will work our way up.

You can't wait can you? Gillingham beat us & you'd be happy, then you keep going on about Dunn. You're like one of the fans I just mention on another thread.

I even said we may flirt with bottom 6.

I admire your talk of 3 wins the only problem is we have had more managers than wins in recent months. 1 win in the last 20 competitive matches without scoring more than one goal doesnt get me excited, I'm sorry if that comes across as negative but thats the reality of the situation, now if you want to blame me and my fellow doom mongers for our current plight I'm fine with that we all see things differently.

I admire your talk of 3 wins the only problem is we have had more managers than wins in recent months. 1 win in the last 20 competitive matches without scoring more than one goal doesnt get me excited, I'm sorry if that comes across as negative but thats the reality of the situation, now if you want to blame me and my fellow doom mongers for our current plight I'm fine with that we all see things differently.

Will you give me those 20 to 1 odds for a victory on Saturday? It doesnt really mean anything except that we have struggled recently but we now have a new manager learning his trade. Can't we just give him a little bit of support?

Edited by ChaddySmoker

As I've said many times. Things in football can change very quickly as can form. It's not been unheard of for a team top at Xmas to go down and you only have to look at Blackpool when they went up. These things can happen.

I'm not blaming doom mongers for the current situation but I am saying it is part if the the problem. One thing improves and they move on to the next thing to moan about. The atmosphere is :censored:e and there is a portion of fans who can't wait to see us fail...why?

I'm not happy with our league position and what's gone on over the last few months but to decide Dunn isn't up to it after 3 games is ridiculous. Maybe he isn't but how can we Possibly know that!?

And which ever player is moaning about Dunn to you. Maybe you should keep it to yourself because if we being dropped once or twice from a team thats not winning causes him to cry so much then he won't go far in the game...

Edited by palmer1

Higdon and Fulton look to be two very good early signings. Keith Brown seems a promising addition to the coaching staff.

Doncaster we were awful. Against Wigan we were good (and actually entertained) once Poleon came on. By all accounts we improved again last night.

It's just the lack of ambition that bothers me. He would have had a free ride for a few games if he'd sent us out attacking & making every effort to win games even if we'd lost or drew them. And we wouldn't have lost all three, no way.

I'm not "worried" about Dunn being manager - at worst we'll finish our usual 16th.

He could be a very good manager and we might do well under him but I was confident Johnson would eventually have gotten us up or at least given us a good season or two of threatening to. I don't feel that confidence about Dunn.

We'll have a much better chance if he start chucking himself on for half an hour here and there though.

I'm not blaming doom mongers for the current situation but I am saying it is part if the the problem. One thing improves and they move on to the next thing to moan about. The atmosphere is :censored:e and there is a portion of fans who can't wait to see us fail...why?

Conversely the "how dare you expect us to try to do well" brigade are just as bad....

Conversely the "how dare you expect us to try to do well" brigade are just as bad....

Of course but its about trying to find middle ground.

I'm am not happy about our league 1 situation and I believe we are at the wrong end of the table, we should be pushing this year and its been a total :censored: from the back end of last season.

It needs sorting but at the same time you can't slag Dunn off after 3 games for either the football or where we are in the league or even because he doesn't pick 'mates' when like you say it seems we have improved each time we played since his appointment.

We are underachieving but let's give him time to sort it & if after he has PLENTY of time to address and improve things and we are still :censored: then OK.

Edited by palmer1

Will you give me those 20 to 1 odds for a victory on Saturday? It doesnt really mean anything except that we have struggled recently but we now have a new manager learning his trade. Can't we just give him a little bit of support?

If yoy think one win on twenty dosnt mean anything then you are deluded. Dont mean that as a personal insult but ffs we have won 1 game all season and we was lucky to win that. Other than bury we have not looked like winning any other game...You happy clappers would still be happy if we went down. You all need to wake up to the facts 1 win in 20 ffs thats more than a blip!

I don't understand your point at all. You said he was the same as Kelly, I disagreed as he's played at a higher level and has access to those managers as contacts or for advice.

Most of the top coaches you're talking about will have worked their way up from the bottom in coaching positions. How many other League 1 managers have there been that haven't played that high, and have no 1st team coaching experience at that level either? I don't blame Kelly for going for the job, but other than the fact that neither have been managers before, they are poles apart.

Dunn has had 3 games. He's unbeaten - so that's one positive right there. Whether he'll be any good or not remains to be seen but to write him off after 3 games is bizarre.

Have you never heard that quote about arguing with idiots?