Positivity?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes okay, have a look at the stats and get back to me.

Do they have stats for communication & distribution for a keeper? Have you seen any stats on the keepers regarding anythin except for the goals conceded?

He deserved to be dropped and rightly was! Even you can't argue that, unless you have inside knowledge of course...

Both keepers are very much of a muchness anyway. Very similar so I don't see the problem.

Edited by palmer1

I think one thing the GK position is telling us is in truth is both keepers at the moment aren't ready to be number 1's. Coleman is poor when dealing with anything that comes in from a cross and the last few games he played teams crowded him out because they knew he was very poor at it. I would really love to know what the train at latics because I can't remember the last keeper to come on his line and collect a cross! He isn't a good communicator and his kicking is woeful.

Cornell kicking is poor, talking isn't good but doesn't get bullied around crosses but saying that needs to come off his line a lot more. Think a decent experienced keeper now would help these two a lot.

I think one thing the GK position is telling us is in truth is both keepers at the moment aren't ready to be number 1's. Coleman is poor when dealing with anything that comes in from a cross and the last few games he played teams crowded him out because they knew he was very poor at it. I would really love to know what the train at latics because I can't remember the last keeper to come on his line and collect a cross! He isn't a good communicator and his kicking is woeful.

Cornell kicking is poor, talking isn't good but doesn't get bullied around crosses but saying that needs to come off his line a lot more. Think a decent experienced keeper now would help these two a lot.

Some of the old goalkeeping tricks have gone, I remember no one would come anywhere near Peter McDonnell on set pieces or they risked a high knee in the goolies if challenging crosses.

Some of the old goalkeeping tricks have gone, I remember no one would come anywhere near Peter McDonnell on set pieces or they risked a high knee in the goolies if challenging crosses.

Yes, I remember that, he always did it, opposition players used to give him a wide birth when he came for crosses, I don't know how he it got away with it looking back.

Yes, I remember that, he always did it, opposition players used to give him a wide birth when he came for crosses, I don't know how he it got away with it looking back.

Harry Dowd also had an effective technique of collecting crosses with both elbows out wide, again players, including his own, would steer well clear of him on crosses.

Both the keepers were naturals IMO and probably uncoached.

The best at diving at feet was Chris Ogden, players got out of his way or risk being tossed 6ft in the air, he was a master of how he did it though and dont think he gave away pens.

Edited by BP1960

Coleman conceded 9 in 4. 5 of which in one game without making any real saves of note in that period. Is it enough to be dropped for Cornell - I think so.

Coleman did pull off some great saves in his games this season...

Both keepers are on a similar level, I personally prefer Coleman, but i'd rather we got the defence sorted than started dicking about with the keepers again.

Coleman did pull off some great saves in his games this season...

Both keepers are on a similar level, I personally prefer Coleman, but i'd rather we got the defence sorted than started dicking about with the keepers again.

He certainly has made some great saves but none if any real note after Fleetwood when he was superb. His form did drop after that though which is bound to happen, he is just a kid.

As I said previously, both are much of a muchness.

Cornell has conceded 15 in 7 appearances from 38 shots on target.

Coleman has conceded 10 in 6 appearances from 39 shots on target.

Other than the Peterborough game Coleman was generally solid for me, he was particularly good against Shrewsbury and Fleetwood at home early on when we were under the cosh, I also remember him pulling off a couple of decent saves at Walsall and Colchester to save us a point, there probably isn't much between the two of them but based purely on stats Coleman can't be far away from a recall.

Cornell has conceded 15 in 7 appearances from 38 shots on target.

Coleman has conceded 10 in 6 appearances from 39 shots on target.

Other than the Peterborough game Coleman was generally solid for me, he was particularly good against Shrewsbury and Fleetwood at home early on when we were under the cosh, I also remember him pulling off a couple of decent saves at Walsall and Colchester to save us a point, there probably isn't much between the two of them but based purely on stats Coleman can't be far away from a recall.

Agreed - fully expect Coleman to start against Sheffield United.

It was the beard. Scared the crap out of the refs. #fearthebeard

Edited by L1onheartNew

To be fair, we haven't had two keepers equally at the top of their games and equally as good as each other since Hallworth and Rhodes. I doubt that we will ever see competition for a keeper's jersey at such a high level at BP again. They raised each other's game week in, week out.

To be fair, we haven't had two keepers equally at the top of their games and equally as good as each other since Hallworth and Rhodes. I doubt that we will ever see competition for a keeper's jersey at such a high level at BP again. They raised each other's game week in, week out.

Thought Hallworth was the better, how is it he missed out on the league cup final?

Rhodes kicking was absymal

Rhodes kicking was absymal

Agreed. Probably why Royle instructed him to throw it out...I have never seen a keeper able to pitch the ball with his arm further than he could kick it.

His shot stopping ability was second to none though. Quite simply the best I have seen.