Sarcastic Negative Fans!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should those diehards, many of whom made a similar trip to Nottinghamshire the week before to watch totally uninspiring football not be able to have a laugh about the fact it took 65 minutes to have a shot?

If you were embarrassed by it or upset maybe you should have a go at watching it as a fan who pays for the privilege of being entertained by your brand of football.

If nothing else the crowds sarcasm probably prompted you to stick on a couple of players capable of changing a game, as I've said previously don't bite off hand that feeds you, I personally feel you have been given a pretty fair reception off the Latics faithful behaving like a cock in the local press will do you little favours.

I'd be more embarrassed about it taking us over an hour to have a shot than the fans joking about it, if I was Dunn.

Yet another dig at fans prompts them to hit out at managers expectation levels

Oldham Athletic supporters have launched an impassioned and forthright plea for unity after manager David Dunn had a pop at them in the Chron.

When a goal down at the Proact Stadium, Carl Winchester’s effort on target in the 65th minute drew a chant of “Oldham’s had a shot” from the visiting supporters.

More gallows humour understandably followed And there was also a rendition of “let’s pretend we scored a goal”, which came before an equaliser from Dominic Poleon that ended an attacking drought that had lasted for more than five-and-a-half hours although it felt like even longer.

Dunn’s side went on to win thanks to a goal credited to Danny Philliskirk, somehow maintaining an unbeaten run away from home in Sky Bet League One this season.

But in post-match interviews, the fans detailed at length their feelings on negative, disrespectful attitudes directed at them from the club.

And they made it clear their belief that the amount of money they spend following the consistently unsuccessful side deserves more credit.

“The feeling around the club & the way Dunn sets the team up at times is a little bit negative, as we have said before,” said supporters, whose side now sit 18th in the League One table ahead of a run of three straight home fixtures.

“We thought the manager, after another 70 turgid minutes, finally gave us something to be excited about but there was an element of "is he taking the :censored:ing piss?" when we read the stuff he came out with in the Chron which is a little bit disappointing.

“This is the start of a yet another new beginning and we just want to go on and create something that lasts.

“We are not in 1992 now, when Oldham were in the Premier League. The club hasn't changed and we're still in the same place as we were almost 20 years ago.

“From what I gather, he says it took Joe Royle eight years to change it round. But Royle had us in the second tier for all that time & unexpectedly got us promoted to the top flight. What the :censored: is Dunn on about? If he fancies himself doing it a bit quicker he'll need to start sending us out to win games rather than to not lose them, and sharpish.

“He shouldn't say a single word against us (the fans) — we come away and at home we turn up every week. Even though there hasn’t been much to cheer about in recent weeks, or months, or years.

“But I think we need to pull together now. It is an important time for us and yet another :censored:ing new beginning for a dwindling fanbase. We want to be enthusiastic about the club and we want to do well but it's not easy with the :censored:e that's served up every Saturday & with this bunch of clowns going from PR disaster to PR disaster.

“He might say there are a minority of us out there who play on our computers, that we may win a couple of leagues on there and think that this is easy-peasy. I can assure him it is not. He just needs to ask Corney.

“I hate to mention ambition & attacking intent, but we are coming across clubs who have three, four, up to 10 times ours. It does matter.

“We give the team way more support than what we should do at times. Where have we finished in the last couple of years, 15th? So why is the expectation we should be in the slightest bit happy with that every year? I don’t get it.

“We need to all stick together as a club. One thing is for sure, we are working our socks off every day to pay to watch this :censored:e and I wish Dunn & Corney & Owen could really see that.

Edited by HarryBosch

Given the dire pile of :censored: we've endured, being negaive and sarcastic is a survival strategy.

Perhaps we should sit quietly and politiely, paying our £22 and accepting the total ineptness, year after year. he has to understand why people feel so sarcastic. it's because of the ming bogglong :censored: served up.

Do your job, entertain and excite us, then we'll stop being so negative. Gallows humour is a result of Dunn's crap brand of football. We don't pay to watch total crap.

You, Mr. Dunn should do your :censored:ing job and stop deflecting it onto the long suffering supporters. You are a dick who has just gone down in my estimation.

To be fair he's only been in the job 5 minutes and he has said his intent is to improve the offensive side of the game. I think he will make some moves in the January transfer window to achieve his aims.

I agree with Dunn. From a psychological point of view negativity breeds. I wasn't there Saturday but reading social media things in the away end were toxic from the start (please do not think I am including the sad events of the fan.) Fighting between ourselves during the first half and at half time.

Being a footballer doesn't make you immune to having the piss taken out of you. The booing, people shouting :censored: at players etc will only cause hesitancy and a negative thought process between players.

Yes we pay our money and are entitled to our opinions but please don't think that they then won't effect the players.

We attract crowds you'd expect of a League Two side these days, so you could say that for the last 20 years we've been overachieving by staying in this league.

Dunn has a point but at the same time I think he should appreciate that some of us are just having a laugh, rather than taking it to heart.

Since when did management come with a guarantee of unwavering support?

It doesn't but the way some go on (I find people tweeting him particularly cringeworthy) you'd think we were cast adrift at the bottom getting thrashed every week.

It's been an awful year with next to nowt to cheer but if the support turns against the team then next year might be even worse.

We attract crowds you'd expect of a League Two side these days, so you could say that for the last 20 years we've been overachieving by staying in this league.

No.Bollocks. You've been brainwashed by the clowns in charge that this is as good as it gets.

Why should those diehards, many of whom made a similar trip to Nottinghamshire the week before to watch totally uninspiring football not be able to have a laugh about the fact it took 65 minutes to have a shot?

If you were embarrassed by it or upset maybe you should have a go at watching it as a fan who pays for the privilege of being entertained by your brand of football....

The Chron 9.11.15:

BOSS David Dunn says he could not really blame Athletic’s supporters for booing the team off the pitch at Mansfield, admitting he wouldn’t have been happy with the action level on show in a drab draw.

“If I had been sat with them in there watching, I would perhaps expect a little bit more entertainment".

Yet again people get offended by things he hasn't said.

My first thought was that I agreed with him but that he shouldn't have said it. Then I changed my mind. Why shouldn't he have said it? In case a few precious tarts get offended?

All too often people give the same old boring, media school, meaningless platitude responses to questions/situations. Scared stiff of being seen to offend people. I'm perfectly happy to have a manager who's willing to be open and honest rather than one too scared to say the wrong thing.

My first thought was that I agreed with him but that he shouldn't have said it. Then I changed my mind. Why shouldn't he have said it? In case a few precious tarts get offended?

All too often people give the same old boring, media school, meaningless platitude responses to questions/situations. Scared stiff of being seen to offend people. I'm perfectly happy to have a manager who's willing to be open and honest rather than one too scared to say the wrong thing.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer a manager who gets results, had my fill of good talkers at the club in recent seasons.

Singing "Oldham's had a shot" raised a chuckle from me (& the Chesterfield fans) & "Let's pretend we scored a goal" is clearly just typical of the kind of thing that away followings do to entertain themselves. The second half atmosphere was fairly jovial given the circumstances and one to be enjoyed. That we went on to actually score & win was fantastic.

It probably hasn't been wise for Dunn to react to it in the way he has but part of me is glad he has. If it hurt, then good. Let's hope we that what happens on the pitch from now on is sufficiently entertaining.

As an aside, during the toxic first half, a large portion of the crowd were having a go at one fan who was constantly giving players grief. "We know they're :censored: but give them a chance" was typical of what people were shouting back. Seemed fair enough & reasonable to me.

This, this and this again. Some are behaving like little flowers, if you are going to give it out, then be man enough to take it too. Man up.

Well said Dunn.

Edited by Stainrod

If we wasn't being sarcastic on Saturday then the chants could have been alot worse Dunn. The :censored: football you've managed over for the most part doesn't help either.

Maybe Dunn should a leaf out of Poleon's book?

Dom Poleon @MrPoleon Nov 14

Great win today continued our unbeaten away record, good to get on the scored sheet but delighted with the 3pts. Fans great once again #OAFC

If we wasn't being sarcastic on Saturday then the chants could have been alot worse Dunn. The :censored: football you've managed over for the most part doesn't help either.

Maybe Dunn should a leaf out of Poleon's book?

Dom Poleon @MrPoleon Nov 14

Great win today continued our unbeaten away record, good to get on the scored sheet but delighted with the 3pts. Fans great once again #OAFC

The away support is :censored: recently, a knob element has creeped in, the next bad result and things are going to turn nasty.