Been n' Dunn

In my opinion all of this fiasco started with the appointment of Darren Kelly. This season should have been one of optimism with the new stand. Instead that was a PR disaster.

Plus if I was the owner of a club like Latics I would be thinking that with the cost of the new stand we could NOT contemplate relegation this season of all seasons, surely a safe experienced manager should have been the choice, but who did we get? A guy who had coached the Sunderland youth team, with predictable results. Once he had gone Corney then went for a senior player and that also hasn't worked out. I still think that Dunn has been a little hard done to because he hasn't even had a transfer window to improve his squad. I actually thought he would have been a great addition as a player for us but even that can't happen now.

It looks like it's going to be Sheridan and it seems like he's a popular choice on here, but be careful what you wish for. Don't forget that he lost control of the players - Lee Hughes in particular - when they acted like idiots at Belle Vue.

It's thought that Dunn had lost the dressing room. It remains to be seen if Sheridan can get anything more out of the players if indeed he is to be the new manager.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the best really.

As with any manager, I hoped that he'd do well for us and I now hope that he'll learn from his experiences here but it was clear that it was never going to work.
I spoke to Dunn at the junior supporters Xmas party which was on the Monday before the postponed Millwall game and it probably says a lot that I then felt uncomfortable discussing what had been said whilst he was still in his position. As others have probably subsequently found, whether you're a stranger or a member of the press, he's just too open & honest with what he thinks. Amongst other things he told me:
* "20 of these will be gone in the summer. They're not good enough but what can I do? I've got to manage them up until then."
* He was talking about the specific games where certain individuals had let him down (such as Higdon, Fuller & the centre halves v Crewe) & bemoaned the size of the budget which he described as "mid-table League Two" although he felt criticism of Corney was unjustified as he was still putting a lot in and he himself had paid for the canteen/ portakabin at Chapel Road "but the supporters don't see that".
* He'd recently spoken to 'Big Sam' (as he called him) in relation to our playing 2 up front which he said was against his instinct. 'Big Sam's' reaction was apparently, ":censored: that. You need clean sheets". A fist-pumping, inspiring, rallying call to back the team, it was not.
* He was also full of praise for the organisation of Millwall by way of a demonstration of how a squad benefits by being properly drilled pre-season (which he said we hadn't been). At the time he made it sound very unlikely that we'd get a result against them - possibly true but, again, far too open about it.
* Almost comically, it was also the night of the draw for the 3rd round of the FA Cup. After chatting with him for about 15 minutes, Dunn found about Sheffield United's plum tie after a visit to bowl a ball in his game at which point he made his way across to me and said, "Sheff U have just drawn :censored:ing Man U. That's me :censored:ing sacked.". Got on his mobile phone and was gone about 20 minutes later.

Had a similar conversation on the day of the cancelled Milwall game, was astonished he was being so honest & open to a total stranger to him.

Interesting stuff.

As you say, he's been too honest and open, which should have been a good thing for a support that wants to know and ins and outs of everything that goes on, turns out they decided they couldn't handle the truth.

Wish him well, heard nothing but good things about him behind the scenes, making a fuss of the mascots etc.

None of which matters of course in terms being a manager but he deserved more support than he got from us.

Spot on. Dunn was a decent guy. The perception a lot of people on here had of him was way out. Still they've got their wish now so let's hope they give the new manager time whoever it is, (not convinced it's Sheridan.) God forbid it's someone they don't approve of cos we'll be back to square one with no transfer window.

The condition he rocked up in and the fact he didn't play himself despite expressing supreme confidence in his ability to play us (and Blackburn) to promotion makes me think this is unlikely.

Dieng's interview in the other thread suggests he did little training after becoming manager. Although that could be a bad translation of 'did :censored: all'.

Spot on. Dunn was a decent guy. The perception a lot of people on here had of him was way out. Still they've got their wish now so let's hope they give the new manager time whoever it is, (not convinced it's Sheridan.) God forbid it's someone they don't approve of cos we'll be back to square one with no transfer window.

I think Corney has played a blinder, cheap option and club legend in one fell swoop.

They don't have to bother with the real issue of rebuilding the squad now.

I think Corney has played a blinder, cheap option and club legend in one fell swoop.

They don't have to bother with the real issue of rebuilding the squad now.

Agree with the first point, although Shez's CV isn't too shabby and vastly better than our recent managers.

Time will tell about whether the squad will react to Shez, but he's struck me as being the type of manager that players respect on the training ground and one who can talk on their level. Only basing that on hearsay though I admit.

He certainly isn't the most articulate in interviews as I can attest to when hearing the odd interviews of his on local radio when he was Plymouth manager.

Why do people care what he sounds like in interviews? Just like I couldn't get offended by what Holden had said last week (completely misinterpreted in my view), I couldn't care less what is said after a match or beforehand when cards should e kept close to chests anyway. Shez concentrating on winning football matches and not pandering to any of this needing to play up to the media will suit me down to the ground.

Matt Chambers @Matt_Chambers_ 2h2 hours ago

David Dunn has issued a statement via LMA website. Thanks staff, players, fans and club itself. #oafc http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/david-dunn-statement/

Matt Chambers @Matt_Chambers_ 2h2 hours ago

Dunn says he had hoped to stregthen the squad during the window and that managing #oafc was "an invaluable experience".

MENOAFC @MENOAFC 2h2 hours ago

Dunn: "I thank the players, who continued to play for me when confidence was low and the fans for their support from day one." #oafc

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Why do people care what he sounds like in interviews? Just like I couldn't get offended by what Holden had said last week (completely misinterpreted in my view), I couldn't care less what is said after a match or beforehand when cards should e kept close to chests anyway. Shez concentrating on winning football matches and not pandering to any of this needing to play up to the media will suit me down to the ground.

It;s fine now,

But after the honeymoon period has worn off, it will grate more.

Completely agree with Bosh.

If dunn had been in from the statt of the season as opposed to kelly, maybe things would have been different. He inherited an absolute shambles in fairness...

His statement today is a well written peace and he comes across much better than all the rest of his interviews. He may well become a decent manager but he needs to learn how not to isolate himself from the fans and the players and be a little less cocky.

Good luck to him

If dunn had been in from the statt of the season as opposed to kelly, maybe things would have been different. He inherited an absolute shambles in fairness...

His statement today is a well written peace and he comes across much better than all the rest of his interviews. He may well become a decent manager but he needs to learn how not to isolate himself from the fans and the players and be a little less cocky.

Good luck to him

Dunn understandably alluded to those who played for him, and those who didn't.

And it's not hard to work out who he was referring to.

It will be interesting to see if there is an upping of performance in the next few weeks. I'd there is, it will help Dunn get into the mindset if being a manager.

Good luck to him

Who do you reckon wrote it for him? :grin:

Guest nonaenever

Dunn MIGHT be management material one day - he will have learned some valuable lessons here though (at our expense) e.g.

1) Managers are supposed to motivate and gel whatever they already have. Excellent management can achieve circa 20% better performance out of a team (any team not just football) just by motivating them correctly. The players (with one or two exceptions) have appeared v low on morale under Dunn's management.

2) DO NOT slag off the loyal fans who have spent thousands watching their club for years just because they happen to want to amuse themselves with a few cheeky songs, in dire circumstances e.g. Chesterfield away

3) DO NOT think an England cap and having played for our "auld enemy" in the Prem for years grants you the right to swagger and often appear cocky and arrogant (I'm sorry but that's often how he has come across on interview)

4) DO NOT have blind loyalty - Dean Holden should simply never be allowed to assist or coach a football team again - if Dunn (as ex England etc. etc.) could not see that then he's not fit to be a manager - so I`m assuming it was blind loyalty.

This isn't being "smart after the event" by the way - I wrote to the Oldham Chronicle immediately following Holden's appointment saying "watch the results plummet" - unfortunately I think he has been a major contributory factor to our decline. It`s a manger's job to sort that.

Anyway - upwards and onwards - and would love to see Paul Murray back helping Shez out. A quality player with a clever footballing brain whom (I`ve heard) the players rated very highly when he was coaching before Holden.