Been n' Dunn

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Latics statement, generating questions.

"Dunn is no longer First Team Manager." Is he still a player?

"Holden has also left the Club." The "also" implies that Dunn has left the Club.

"Keith Brown has also left his role." Is he still there in another role?

Do we know which bar they're in?

For the best really.

As with any manager, I hoped that he'd do well for us and I now hope that he'll learn from his experiences here but it was clear that it was never going to work.
I spoke to Dunn at the junior supporters Xmas party which was on the Monday before the postponed Millwall game and it probably says a lot that I then felt uncomfortable discussing what had been said whilst he was still in his position. As others have probably subsequently found, whether you're a stranger or a member of the press, he's just too open & honest with what he thinks. Amongst other things he told me:
* "20 of these will be gone in the summer. They're not good enough but what can I do? I've got to manage them up until then."
* He was talking about the specific games where certain individuals had let him down (such as Higdon, Fuller & the centre halves v Crewe) & bemoaned the size of the budget which he described as "mid-table League Two" although he felt criticism of Corney was unjustified as he was still putting a lot in and he himself had paid for the canteen/ portakabin at Chapel Road "but the supporters don't see that".
* He'd recently spoken to 'Big Sam' (as he called him) in relation to our playing 2 up front which he said was against his instinct. 'Big Sam's' reaction was apparently, ":censored: that. You need clean sheets". A fist-pumping, inspiring, rallying call to back the team, it was not.
* He was also full of praise for the organisation of Millwall by way of a demonstration of how a squad benefits by being properly drilled pre-season (which he said we hadn't been). At the time he made it sound very unlikely that we'd get a result against them - possibly true but, again, far too open about it.
* Almost comically, it was also the night of the draw for the 3rd round of the FA Cup. After chatting with him for about 15 minutes, Dunn found about Sheffield United's plum tie after a visit to bowl a ball in his game at which point he made his way across to me and said, "Sheff U have just drawn :censored:ing Man U. That's me :censored:ing sacked.". Got on his mobile phone and was gone about 20 minutes later.

Typical Latics statement, generating questions.

"Dunn is no longer First Team Manager." Is he still a player?

"Holden has also left the Club." The "also" implies that Dunn has left the Club.

"Keith Brown has also left his role." Is he still there in another role?

Second statement says all three have departed.

It's undoubtedly the right call. Dunn was by no means the biggest problem at the club in the past year but it's clear he wasn't ready for the very difficult task of turning the club around. It'll be interesting to hear about what he was promised when he came into the club initially, either way I don't think he properly knew what he was getting involved in when he took on the manager's job.

I wish him well in the future, my guess is that he'll probably go back to playing if he still can and maybe coaching/managing in a few years time.

Ultimately this is great for the club as a whole as Corney has shown that he appreciates just how much of a hole the club is in and that drastic action needs to be taken. I wasn't at all convinced that he was going to act.

What odds Dunn ends up playing at a league 1 club this season & sticks it right up us on the pitch?

The condition he rocked up in and the fact he didn't play himself despite expressing supreme confidence in his ability to play us (and Blackburn) to promotion makes me think this is unlikely.

For the best really.

As with any manager, I hoped that he'd do well for us and I now hope that he'll learn from his experiences here but it was clear that it was never going to work.
I spoke to Dunn at the junior supporters Xmas party which was on the Monday before the postponed Millwall game and it probably says a lot that I then felt uncomfortable discussing what had been said whilst he was still in his position. As others have probably subsequently found, whether you're a stranger or a member of the press, he's just too open & honest with what he thinks. Amongst other things he told me:
* "20 of these will be gone in the summer. They're not good enough but what can I do? I've got to manage them up until then."
* He was talking about the specific games where certain individuals had let him down (such as Higdon, Fuller & the centre halves v Crewe) & bemoaned the size of the budget which he described as "mid-table League Two" although he felt criticism of Corney was unjustified as he was still putting a lot in and he himself had paid for the canteen/ portakabin at Chapel Road "but the supporters don't see that".
* He'd recently spoken to 'Big Sam' (as he called him) in relation to our playing 2 up front which he said was against his instinct. 'Big Sam's' reaction was apparently, ":censored: that. You need clean sheets". A fist-pumping, inspiring, rallying call to back the team, it was not.
* He was also full of praise for the organisation of Millwall by way of a demonstration of how a squad benefits by being properly drilled pre-season (which he said we hadn't been). At the time he made it sound very unlikely that we'd get a result against them - possibly true but, again, far too open about it.
* Almost comically, it was also the night of the draw for the 3rd round of the FA Cup. After chatting with him for about 15 minutes, Dunn found about Sheffield United's plum tie after a visit to bowl a ball in his game at which point he made his way across to me and said, "Sheff U have just drawn :censored:ing Man U. That's me :censored:ing sacked.". Got on his mobile phone and was gone about 20 minutes later.

Interesting stuff.

As you say, he's been too honest and open, which should have been a good thing for a support that wants to know and ins and outs of everything that goes on, turns out they decided they couldn't handle the truth.

Wish him well, heard nothing but good things about him behind the scenes, making a fuss of the mascots etc.

None of which matters of course in terms being a manager but he deserved more support than he got from us.

In my opinion all of this fiasco started with the appointment of Darren Kelly. This season should have been one of optimism with the new stand. Instead that was a PR disaster.

Plus if I was the owner of a club like Latics I would be thinking that with the cost of the new stand we could NOT contemplate relegation this season of all seasons, surely a safe experienced manager should have been the choice, but who did we get? A guy who had coached the Sunderland youth team, with predictable results. Once he had gone Corney then went for a senior player and that also hasn't worked out. I still think that Dunn has been a little hard done to because he hasn't even had a transfer window to improve his squad. I actually thought he would have been a great addition as a player for us but even that can't happen now.

It looks like it's going to be Sheridan and it seems like he's a popular choice on here, but be careful what you wish for. Don't forget that he lost control of the players - Lee Hughes in particular - when they acted like idiots at Belle Vue.

It's thought that Dunn had lost the dressing room. It remains to be seen if Sheridan can get anything more out of the players if indeed he is to be the new manager.